Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations - Brake Light Modulator

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 04:37 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct. A sensor at night is supposed to turn the modulator off.

I never thought about potential problems with a tail light modulator. I guess it can be confusing too. I consider myself a pretty "aware" driver (car or bike) and usually know where people are around me and how close when stopping too.. I may get the tail light modulator though as I do think its a good idea in principle..

Old 11-05-2008, 11:31 AM
gdkenoyer
Tourer

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
I'm afraid someone will take the flashing front light to mean ("OK, I see you want to come out, [...] I'll give right of way to you").
holy crap, if you can manually flash your headlights as fast as my SD module does, more power to you. Seriously tho, I have done that 'flash, please go' thingie, but that's only one or two flashes, not 240 per minute, continous!

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
I've seen MCs on the road with modulating headlights and it looks annoying to me...
yah, but ya noticed didn't ya?

and the SD one has the ability to be shut off when desired, such as when you are in a group and don't want to **** off the ride captain in front of you... 8^)

Old 11-05-2008, 02:55 PM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out ridetimetechnology.com for his 48 LED Fender Trim light which is equivalent of two stoplights.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:18 PM
MrDoo
Advanced

I have not been a big fan of the modulators (don't have them, but have seen them on other scoots). The mod that catches my eyes the most is the kit that makes your turn signals and tail accent light come on when you brake, not on all the time (running), they just come on during braking. When you are riding behind that dimmish tail light, and three other brake lights come on, it really catches your eyes.

I have never been confused by the headlight modulator, in my opinion, it cycles too fast to be confused for a "go" signal. Not a big fan of them though, as I find them distracting and annoying when one is behind me. While I like being seen, I don't really want to distract/annoy anyone either. I just drive with brights and passing lights on during the day, no close calls yet, knock on wood.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:56 AM
drbillk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headlight modulators are very effective. As far as drunk drivers, never heard that before... they are effective enough that the Topeka Kansas Police Dept installed them on their machines.

In addition to a SD Wig-Wag on my Ultra, I've also installed 6 separate red LED's from SD in the tourpack... just below the lip of the lid. They are connected to the tail lights in the tourpack and work with the Wig-Wag as well. The back of my bike really lights up when I hit the brakes. Have the left 3 LEDs connected with the right brake light in the tour pack, and the right 3 LEDs to the left brake light... they flash and blink like crazy. Was pulled over by a LEO about 2 months ago for an unrelated issue (no gloves on while on military base)... he thought he was pulling over another LEO when he saw my brake lights light up.

Bottom line, it's a matter of personal preference. IMHO, anything I can do to draw attention gives me a better chance of not being hit by the unaware. In fact, in the 3 years I've had a headlight modulator... not a single person has tried to pull out in front of me. As an added benefit... people move out of the fast lane on the highway. Of course, YMMV.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:21 PM
Bodacious MC
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts

I purchased a Dyna Flash unit hoping to install it on my 2014 Street Glide, I've used the same unit before on my Sporty. However the wiring on the SG looks to be way different than the old standard yellow/red Sporty wiring for the brake.
Is there a way to add a strobe unit between the brake light power source and the tail light or do I need to just buy the CD $89.00 plug and play unit.