Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mean City Cycles Seat Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 03:45 PM
1goindiesel
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Brinks, thanks for your thoughtful review. I am glad so many of you are happy with their work Brinks entered a contract with Mean City, paid his money, and received their product. Brinks has EVERY right to make a clear,thoughtful, and informative review WITHOUT contacting Mean City. Having said that, I am going to contact them about doing some work for me based on the mostly glowing responses in this thread.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Turkey Lips
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my seat done by MCC, and I guess I had my hopes up too high at first. I had the memory foam added, seat lowered a bit, and narrowed some. It was comfortable, but not as comfortable as I thought it would be. It was definitely lower and narrower, though. NOW, after the seat broke in more, it's by far the BEST seat my *** has ever sat on. I can ride my Road King all day (and have many times) and not have any problems at all. I thought the quality was great, the customer service was great, and the price was great. My guess as to why the seat wasn't as comfortable in the be beginning was because the part of the stock foam that had broken in was shaved off to lower the seat. So when I saw on the memory foam and sunk down to the stock seat foam, the stock foam wasn't broken in yet and felt kinda hard. After that broke in, it's like ridin' on a cloud.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:03 PM
russl179
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my seat redone by MCC. I am 100% satisfied with their professionalism, skill, and customer service. If you decline to do business with them due to this poster's comment, you need to weigh the positives to the negatives. Allen wins hands down.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:07 PM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by brinks13081
I just got my seat back from Mean City Cycles today and was very anxious to take her out for a test ride on my 09 FLHX. Turn around time on the seat was excellent, under a week. My order was basically the memory foam modification for the rider and passenger. I also requested to drop the height about 1 1/5 inch and move forward the same. When I placed they order they said this was "No Problem". Back to the review, I immediately noticed that the seat had some of the memory foam actually coming out from underneath the seat. I actually had to push it back into the seat. That seems a bit cheap to me. It is definately more comfortable than stock, a $175 more comfortable? Not sure, time will tell. I also noticed quickly that it seems that I'm neither lower, nor closer. So basically for $175 your definately getting a more comfortable seat for you and your passenger. If you are looking to move positions, good luck, I didn't notice it at all. I also didn't like the fact that some of the foam was pouring out from the stitching, it shows a lack of attention to detail. This is just my experience and I by no means want to discourage anyone from using Mean City, their customer service is excellent.

Brinks,

Call me 828-291-1322 that is my cell phone number and I will be available till around 9 PM tonight.

Thanks,
Allen
www.meancitycycles.com
866-550-SEAT

The following users liked this post:
BigDukeSix (07-20-2024)
Old 10-30-2008, 06:29 PM
highwayking
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

After reading all these comments, I feel compelled to relate my experiences with Allen at MCC. I had my Screamin' Eagle Ultra heated seat reworked by Allen in the Spring after too many butt-numbing trips. I got the seat back in less than a week and it looked great and it was a vast improvement over the stock cushioning. But after a couple of trips, I still had some tailbone pain. This past week I took the seat back to Allen. I live only an hour away from his shop so I was able to drive up on Monday and I got the seat back today (Thursday). I told Allen I was not satisfied with the seat, but I was willing to pay for him reworking it a second time. After all it had been six months or so since he had done the work the first time. When I asked him how much he would charge to rework the seat he said, "nothing, you aren't satisfied and I want to keep my customers happy." He even refused to take any money for shipping to send the seat back to my house. In my opinion, Allen is topnotch and he will do what it takes to satisfy his customers. I think he could also teach some big corporations like Dell and Time Warner Cable a thing or two about good customer service.

The following users liked this post:
leachman (06-01-2019)
Old 10-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Conehead
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, I have a quick question for those of you that had Allen modify your H/D seat. Which mod did you get? I had Allen mod my VTX seat and he did a great job but that was prior to the memory foam option, I am not quite flat footed and need to be lowered probably an inch. Give me your thoughts on which mod? Allen feel free to chime in? or PM me. Thanks!

Old 10-30-2008, 06:42 PM
swirvin1234
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sent my FLHR stock seat to them when I first picked up my bike. I have been riding with the reach seat which fits me perfect but on longer trips the tail gets sore from lack of padding. I got my seat back and it was still higher than the reach seat and the nose was still too wide for me to flat foot while stopped. Expressed my concern to Brent and Allen and without hesitation they wanted to fix the seat to my liking. A+ in my book for quality work and customer service!!

Old 10-30-2008, 06:43 PM
highwayking
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Conehead
Guys, I have a quick question for those of you that had Allen modify your H/D seat. Which mod did you get? I had Allen mod my VTX seat and he did a great job but that was prior to the memory foam option, I am not quite flat footed and need to be lowered probably an inch. Give me your thoughts on which mod? Allen feel free to chime in? or PM me. Thanks!
I originally had the Double-Decker Memory Foam modification. The second time he reworked it using a new type of memory foam that is firmer, but it is supposed to be more comfortable on long trips. I'm riding Sunday, so I'll see how it does.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:52 PM
ramnj
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brinks, any updates?

Old 10-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I had the two layer memory foam done to both my seats. When you narrow the seat like he did for my leg nerve it actually lowered me too and allowed me to not just sit flat footed on my bikes but I had knee bend too.

A riding buddy has an 08 Ultra EC. He sat on my bike and said later that it seemed like the center of gravity has moved and my bike seemed lighter to move around than his. We are about the same size and height and we have the same bike but mine is an 07.

Best to ask Allen. If my customers would ask me questions first then not only would they be happier but money could be saved.

Since I am getting older and if I had to rethink what he did compared to what I requested it would be his additional jell type pack addition. May still do it. Not because my seat is not comfortable but due to my health situation it is easy for me to loose weight and my tail bone gets a little thin back there at times.

Straight talk.... The people I ride with sit on my bike all the time when they first find out MCC did my seat. Every time, without exception, their first comment is.... WoW, you've got to be kidding, I going to get mine done.

Quick Reply: Mean City Cycles Seat Review