Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Is Not Closing

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:55 AM
RottMan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Throttle Is Not Closing

On my 09 SG I'm noticing that when I release the throttle it doesn't roll all the way back to the closed position. I have to manually rotate it back the last bit which drops the RPMs down from about 1100 to 900. Also, when I got off the bike this morning at work, I twisted the throttle open and it didn't close at all. Now the bike was off at this time so I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but it does seem strange and the fact that it doesn't completely close when I'm riding concerns me. I know nothing about the new "by wire" throttle. Any thoughts?

Old 10-30-2008, 11:36 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not on an 09?

Old 10-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Bagged Out
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure that you are not engaging the cylinder shut down on the rear jug? Mine goes back to idle then there is another small twist to engage it. That could explain the lower RPM too.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you put new grips on? Sounds to me like something is binding possibly between the hand grip and switch housing, if not there it would likely be internal in TBW wire inside the handlebar. You could try loosen up the switch housing just a little to see if things let loose, or take it back into the shop.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:42 AM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There should be just a little bit of end play in the throttle grip. If there isn't that could be what is causing the sticking. If there isn't just loosen up the switch housing and adjust it so there is some end play.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:09 PM
RottMan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Windup08
Did you put new grips on? Sounds to me like something is binding possibly between the hand grip and switch housing, if not there it would likely be internal in TBW wire inside the handlebar. You could try loosen up the switch housing just a little to see if things let loose, or take it back into the shop.
I have stock grips and I just walked out to my bike again and when I roll open the throttle and let go, it stays open. Just talked to a service tech at the dealer and he's never heard of this issue. Figures.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:19 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RottMan
On my 09 SG I'm noticing that when I release the throttle it doesn't roll all the way back to the closed position. I have to manually rotate it back the last bit which drops the RPMs down from about 1100 to 900. Also, when I got off the bike this morning at work, I twisted the throttle open and it didn't close at all. Now the bike was off at this time so I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but it does seem strange and the fact that it doesn't completely close when I'm riding concerns me. I know nothing about the new "by wire" throttle. Any thoughts?
Sounds to me like your rolling past "throttle closed" into "rear cylinder shutdown", which explains the drop in idle. Its covered in the owners manual.

Last edited by flyingace; 10-30-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:22 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

deleted

Last edited by flyingace; 10-30-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:27 PM
cfoster80
Tourer

Do you have cruise control????? If not LOOSEN up the thumb screw all the way under the switch housing.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:46 PM
capman98
Cruiser

With the fly by wire throttle control, if you turn off the kill switch with the throttle slightly open, when you restart the bike it will think that is the fully closed position, this will give you a high idle. my 08 does it to me all the time if im not paying attention when i kill the engine. the way to reset it is turn the kill switch to run, with the ignition switch in the off position. without toutching the throttle, turn the IGNITION SWITCH from off to the on position 4 times finishing in the off position. then try to start the bike. sometimes it takes a few times to get the sequence right and it to reset, but it will work. just an idea of what your problem might be. luckilly I had a good salesman who explained this to me cause i did it the first time I turned off the bike.

Quick Reply: Throttle Is Not Closing