Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

street glide,road glide,road king ..need help ASAP..

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008 | 06:48 AM
girlslikechef
|
Tourer
Arrow street glide,road glide,road king ..need help ASAP..

Ok, heres my problem....I have owned 2 harleys with in the last month..And cant seem to find the right bike for me...I was hurt in Iraq afew months back....Im still dealing with medical issues...But I still ride to work...I drive 160-180 miles per day...

I got a 07 v-rod 1st huge mistake..now I have a 08 superglide...The bike is a beast..But im very cramped and after about 20 mins on the bike..My back is in alot of pain...

So im at the dealer lastnight...And he said..I have some used streetglide,road kings, pretty much any bagger you want...

My problem is takeing a huge loss on my superglide..that I have only owned for 3 weeks...

I really liked a used street glide they had.....It was an 06 0r 07....Is it worth going tradeing down..for a older bike....

My other problem is I cant seem to find the right harley that fits me...So I need help from the forum...Would i be happy with a streetglide,road glide,road king....

I was also looking at a dyna wide glide that felt like a dream just sitting on it...

So im not sure what to do....But im either going to keep my superglide...or trade for a wideglide,streetglide,roadglide,road king today....

This forum has always gave me good advice....And I could really use some right now...Im getting tired of tradeing in bike every 3 weeks

Old 10-30-2008 | 06:55 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member

Go to the dealer and test ride all of the bikes and then make your decision. If you ride alot I think you would be better off with a touring model rather than the Wide Glide.

Old 10-30-2008 | 07:03 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

More then a test ride, if I were you I'd find a dealer who offered you a reduced rate rental (based upon a potential purchase) and try the bike for a few days. One short test ride may not answer your question and you may find yourself again selling another bike at a loss. You yourself gotta ride em' to answer your own burning question.

Old 10-30-2008 | 07:05 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

Test ride them all,
if you are going to ride that much you will need a Touring bike in my opinion.

I didn't know what I wanted either to start with and bought a Fat Boy.
I never test rode a Touring bike. Just kinda tried to go on what people were saying.
But the first time I rode one during a demo day, I knew I was going to get one.

I couldn't ride without a Driver's Backrest without being in pain.
Maybe that will help too.

I recomend the Street Glide because I really like the radio more than I thought I would....and I still feel it's the sportiest of the Touring bikes.

Old 10-30-2008 | 07:07 AM
jjr
Road Captain

Sent you a PM for the heck of it...

Riding any bike at a dealer is still a toss up as the stock seats will go to hell in about 100 miles and as far as a RK the stock handlebars suck also. So if he has used bikes with aftermaket seats or handlebars those would be the ones to try out.

You did not mention your size stats, for my RK I chose to go with the Corbin tour that I had built by Corbin for a taller rider in which they move the riders position back, aslo went with the new Hertiage bars. Another great seat choice is the custom built Russell seat which is fantastic but looks weird.

Why trade in your new bike, the dealer will sodomise you. Perhaps give Ebay/Craigslist a try first as you probably will get more than what a dealer is offering you. If I had a choice between a Street Glide and a Ultra I would choose the Ultra, you get more bang for the buck. You always could remove the tour pak or put the quick detach set up. The handlebars are more comfortable than the Street Glides.

FWIW with the way the economy they way it is no matter which route you will choose it will hurt $$$$. Nobody is buying unless your giving it away and then its still mostly tire kickers with no cash.

Best of luck and TAKE YOUR TIME! Try different dealers and ride a lot of bikes.

Originally Posted by girlslikechef
Ok, heres my problem....I have owned 2 harleys with in the last month..And cant seem to find the right bike for me...I was hurt in Iraq afew months back....Im still dealing with medical issues...But I still ride to work...I drive 160-180 miles per day...

I got a 07 v-rod 1st huge mistake..now I have a 08 superglide...The bike is a beast..But im very cramped and after about 20 mins on the bike..My back is in alot of pain...

So im at the dealer lastnight...And he said..I have some used streetglide,road kings, pretty much any bagger you want...

My problem is takeing a huge loss on my superglide..that I have only owned for 3 weeks...

I really liked a used street glide they had.....It was an 06 0r 07....Is it worth going tradeing down..for a older bike....

My other problem is I cant seem to find the right harley that fits me...So I need help from the forum...Would i be happy with a streetglide,road glide,road king....

I was also looking at a dyna wide glide that felt like a dream just sitting on it...

So im not sure what to do....But im either going to keep my superglide...or trade for a wideglide,streetglide,roadglide,road king today....

This forum has always gave me good advice....And I could really use some right now...Im getting tired of tradeing in bike every 3 weeks

Old 10-30-2008 | 07:31 AM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member

Rent a streetglide and a Ultra and decide which you like. Wouldnt try anything other then a bagger if your back is messed up.

Old 10-30-2008 | 07:39 AM
ArgyleRider
Tourer

My 2 cents worth: These Touring bikes are all made to customize to forever and back. For what you would lose in a trade, you can change out seats, backrests, floorboards, touring pegs, handlebars ... completely change your riding position.
It all depends on your specific condition, but I think that a more upright position is easier on the back in general. That can be changed with bars and a seat, then adjust or add foot rests to get all the angles right and still safely operate the controls. Backrests seem to be popular also.

Old 10-30-2008 | 07:45 AM
Peculierboy
Tourer

I doubt you will find a more comfortable bike than a Touring model. I hated the stock seat, and installed one off an 08 Ultra I bought off eBay, and even then, I sent it off to Mean City Cycles for a re-do. I can now ride 500+ miles a day (and have done) w/o any problems, and it was my back that was a 'hurtin for sure!. Before you trade in a bike and lose a ton of cash, install a back rest (adjustable or fixed) and try a new seat. I bet each one of those goes a long way to making you feel better.

Old 10-30-2008 | 07:49 AM
skulz1
Tourer

Here is something to consider. The Street Glide rides a little harsher due to the lowered suspension in the rear. My Dad's Road King rides better than my Street Glide. If your back is giving you problems, every little bit will help. Good Luck.

Old 10-30-2008 | 07:52 AM
ssls6
Road Captain

Almost any bike can be made comfortable if you get the ergonomics and protection right. What is making your back hurt? Shocks from the road, angle of your body, pressure on your arms, ...

Quick Reply: street glide,road glide,road king ..need help ASAP..