Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

street glide,road glide,road king ..need help ASAP..

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008 | 08:24 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member

Like the other have said I 'd see if I could test ride them for a couple of days not just 5 miles.

I'd also look into a drivers backrest. They make a world of difference.

Old 10-30-2008 | 08:56 AM
blueride
Tourer
Default Wait!

Wait until you are healed up before you buy anything. You level of pain will vary over time.
Months after spinal surgery, I bought a fatboy because that was all I could ride at the time.Six months later I was ready for my RoadKing again. Dumped the Fatboy at a loss.Unless your rich, wait until your wounds have healed. Whatever you do don't buy anything under the influence of pain killers.

Old 10-30-2008 | 09:36 AM
mvinc01
Road Master

Originally Posted by blueride
Wait until you are healed up before you buy anything. You level of pain will vary over time.
Months after spinal surgery, I bought a fatboy because that was all I could ride at the time.Six months later I was ready for my RoadKing again. Dumped the Fatboy at a loss.Unless your rich, wait until your wounds have healed. Whatever you do don't buy anything under the influence of pain killers.
I think this is some of the best advise given, along with test riding everything you can get your hands on.

However, if I were going to suggest a model, considering the sheer miles you ride "daily", I would strongly suggest a Road Glide first and an Ultra second. IMO the Road Glide stock seat and the Ultra stock seats are problably the best "stock" seats for comfort. The Ultra would come already decked out for all weather, long mile comfort. The Road Glide dresses up real nice with lowers and a QD tour-pak, plus it will handle better than the Ultra when yo really want to wick it up, or when you are dealing with highway winds.

In the mean time, you have some options with your Super Glide too. A better seat, forwards, better ergo bars, and better rear suspension would be my first places to look. Check out my photo album. There are some great things you can do with the Dyna line.

Best of luck! I hope you heal fast and Thank You for your service!

Old 10-30-2008 | 10:06 AM
60mike06FLHX
Road Master

Rent a bike for a day it will be the best $150.00 you ever spent, heck rent two or three different ones. Buying one every month is a lot more expensive.

We all end up on a touring bike sooner or later, I'm just saying...

Good luck, ride safe, thanks for your service. If your near me you can ride my SG for a day.

Last edited by 60mike06FLHX; 10-30-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-30-2008 | 10:28 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

Sit on something you like and has Heritage bars installed on it. That made a big difference on the back pain for me.

Old 10-30-2008 | 10:47 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior

We can not help you decide what fits YOU the best. As said, before you spend anyMORE money, test ride them all. Then YOU and ONLY you can decide what you are most comfortable on

Old 10-30-2008 | 09:42 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master

its pretty much all been said here and there is some great info. as someone else said, thanks for your service and sacrifice. hope to meet you on the road sometime. would be proud to shake your hand...ride safe!!!

Old 10-31-2008 | 07:10 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior

Before you go to more extreme (i.e., expensive) remedies, try a set of highway pegs on your SuperGlide. If you're over 6 feet tall, a SuperGlide is just too small without highway pegs or forward controls.

Old 10-31-2008 | 07:40 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

You've already learned the biggest lesson.... while ANY bike can be changed (for a fee). it's better to start off with a bike that "FITS" you, and your riding style.
You will get hosed if you trade in your superglide... you will still get hosed if you sell it privately....
you've got to get one each of the used bikes, and give it a honest road test... at least one hour... maybe spend a whole day trying different bikes. At least your dealer knows what you're going through. If you THINK you've found the right one, see about renting it for a week end, with the rental fees going towards the purchase. Nothing will tell YOU what works best, than riding it all week end

Not that this will make you feel better.... but it's pretty common for someone to get a bike, and a month later wish they had gotten a different one.
good luck

Old 11-01-2008 | 07:59 AM
girlslikechef
|
Tourer
Default I sit and wait...

I test drove a Road KiNG And streetglide yesterday....all i can say is WOW!!!!!! What have I been missing...I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HARLEY..UNLESS ITS A BAGGER ...What a bike is all I can say...Rode like a dream....

The dealer wanted to hose me big time...wanted to give me $9,000 grand for my bike thats brand new with only 1000 miles on it...

I looked at them like they were crazy!!!!!! when i heard 9 grand....

So I sit and wait now....Trying to find an out on my bike...But I dont see one...

I kind of wish I would have not test drove a bagger...Because now its all I want to ride....