Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GAS Tank problem HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008 | 02:25 PM
EdGlide
|
Cruiser
Default GAS Tank problem HELP!!!

Ok, I finally figured out why my bike was acting up. Insufficient fuel due to clogged and bad fuel filter/strainer. Actually its more bad gas tank.

My bike was telling me that its empty, the guage showing empty, its running like its empty, even reserve (petcock) is not responsive because its empty, its sputtering like its empty, BUT when I finally deciced to empty out my gas tank, I must have drained out close to 4 gallons of gas. What the heck???

So I peaked inside the tank, there I saw that the teflon coating was bubbling and peeling off and those paint chips and rusts were interfering with the fuel flow and quality.

QUESTION:
How to I fix this problem? How do I strip out the inside, clean it and recoat it? How? How? How? Please help.

Old 10-27-2008 | 03:00 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer

I suggest contacting a radiator specialty shop. They usually do gas tank repairs also, and most likely will be able to strip the inside of the tank and recoat it. They'll also be able to pressure test it and check for leaks. I used the do-it-yourself Kreem kit on a tank for a bike I built once, and while I had no problems with it, it looked like stelagtites dangling from the sides of the tank. Don't think you want to try that.

Old 10-27-2008 | 05:47 PM
TheBagger
Road Master

If the gauge is showing empty and you have gas on the fill hole side I would guess a clogged up crossover line.

Old 10-28-2008 | 01:13 PM
EdGlide
|
Cruiser
Default Kleem

I thought of the "KLEEM KIT", but to chicken to even attemp that. I'll check our local radiator shop. Will harley stealership do it?

Ed

Originally Posted by northeastconfederate
I suggest contacting a radiator specialty shop. They usually do gas tank repairs also, and most likely will be able to strip the inside of the tank and recoat it. They'll also be able to pressure test it and check for leaks. I used the do-it-yourself Kreem kit on a tank for a bike I built once, and while I had no problems with it, it looked like stelagtites dangling from the sides of the tank. Don't think you want to try that.

Old 10-28-2008 | 01:14 PM
EdGlide
|
Cruiser
Default lines

Since I'm on that route I'm going to change all the lines including the Fuel Valve (Petcock).

Thanks,
Ed

Originally Posted by TheBagger
If the gauge is showing empty and you have gas on the fill hole side I would guess a clogged up crossover line.

Old 10-28-2008 | 01:31 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

I have used the Kreem kit several times, and if you follow the directions to a T you will have no problems at all. The product has been on the market for over 25 years now....if it was garbage or didnt work, it would have disappeared a long, long time ago. In fact the very first time I used the stuff it was on a old 1974 Honda CB360 that I was puting back into daily service. It worked flawlessly. What you have to do to remove the old peeling coating in the tank now is to put a hand full of nuts and bolts (count them so you know how many have to come back out) in it, and then keep shaking the tank all around until the nuts remove all the loose coating. Then you add "part 2" to the tank and then your just about done.

Heck give yourself more credit than that. It sure aint rocket science......**** I was able to do it!

Old 10-28-2008 | 04:53 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

I've used the Kreem and it worked OK. Had to be real careful as it involves a lot of handling, sealing and rotating the tank.
Also cleaned one out with Acid, then always kept it full of gas to keep it from rusting again.
Never thought about a radiator repair shop, bet it would be better and probably cost about the same.