Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need suggestion for seat upgrade - 2009 Road King Classic

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 12:11 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Need suggestion for seat upgrade - 2009 Road King Classic

Hello all! I'm new to the HD scene, and I may soon be the proud owner of a new 2009 Road King Classic. However, the one thing that I (actually my wife) doesn't like about that particular motorcycle is the passenger pillion (it looks to be one piece with the driver's saddle)... It's just a little too narrow for her. In addition, I'll need to get a backrest for her too.

But on to my question...what is the general conscensus about an upgraded seat for this particular model? If it matters, I'm about 6', 290 lbs, and my wife is about 190lbs. Just looking for something that will be a little more comfortable for her.

Also, any suggestions for the backrest?

Thanks!!!

Old 10-27-2008, 12:16 PM
elmo771
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same issue with the seat on my 08 Road King. The seats from HD only go to 2007. I am Thinking on a Mean City Cycle upgrade. On the back rest I went with a Med height and the Seat matching wide backrest.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:19 PM
tano01
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go pick up the new catalog from your local dealer and you'll find some 2008 and 2009 seats...the selection is pretty slim, though. Check out Mean City. You can get a good upgrade for less than what you would pay for a new seat.

I use a HD detachable backrest for my 08 RK and my wife is quite fond of it.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:21 PM
UltraTheo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just traded my RKC in on an'09 Ultra classic but on the RK I put on the Harley Sundowner seat. Great improvement over stock and the wife was much happier also.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:31 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tano01
Go pick up the new catalog from your local dealer and you'll find some 2008 and 2009 seats...the selection is pretty slim, though. Check out Mean City. You can get a good upgrade for less than what you would pay for a new seat.

I use a HD detachable backrest for my 08 RK and my wife is quite fond of it.
Yeah, I was checking them out... But what do you do while they're re-tooling your seat? Is your bike just out of commission for the time? Or do they send you a seat identicle to yours, and then you return the original (core)?

Old 10-27-2008, 12:35 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had excellent luck with my Corbin dual tourer, and my wife loves it. It's a very firm seat, providing much needed support for those long hauls. You might have some luck on EBay finding a good used one. That way you won't spend so much $$ if it turns out you don't like it. I've had 7 Corbins, and I've been pleased with every one. Lots and Lots of miles with them. Good Luck.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:45 PM
dshukwit
Advanced

Mustang has a nice seat. I had one on my 05 RKC and it has plenty of room on the back at 14in for the wife, She was very cofortable all the way to Milwaukee this past summer. I also had the HD sundowner and prefered the Mustang

Old 10-27-2008, 01:19 PM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Ditched the original RKC seat and ordered HD Stitch with detachable high backrest and large luggage rack for my ol' 06 RKC. Lady and I were very pleased with the outcome.

For the '09, Nothing would match the previous year RKC's so you'll have to decide what's what and which's which for your new bike.

Ride safe,

Thorey

Old 10-27-2008, 01:34 PM
TRVSDAD
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have 2005 road king classic and Harley makes an UPGRADED Classic seat that address your wifes concerns. I have it on my bike and its great. Encompasses the leather weave look but does cost 300ish. Go to SURDYKE.com and save 20 %

Old 10-27-2008, 01:35 PM
Buck Naked
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bamorris2
Hello all! I'm new to the HD scene, and I may soon be the proud owner of a new 2009 Road King Classic. However, the one thing that I (actually my wife) doesn't like about that particular motorcycle is the passenger pillion (it looks to be one piece with the driver's saddle)... It's just a little too narrow for her. In addition, I'll need to get a backrest for her too.

But on to my question...what is the general conscensus about an upgraded seat for this particular model? If it matters, I'm about 6', 290 lbs, and my wife is about 190lbs. Just looking for something that will be a little more comfortable for her.

Also, any suggestions for the backrest?

Thanks!!!
I just got an '09 RKC myself recently, and I went w/ the Harley Sundowner. Surprisingly, the Sundowner does what I need it to do---I say surprisingly, because I had one for the '07 fatboy that I had before the RKC, and I hated it! I've always been partial to a Corbin seat, but I really like the sundowner---as does the wife. I'm 6'0/230, she's...well...not as heavy as me but damn close. We went w/ the med. height backrest/luggage rack, and adding in a leather tour pack.
Bottom line: I'm pretty happy with the sundowner as it gives me the comfort and back support that I need to go long distance, and the wife's happy. Can't ask for more than that!

Quick Reply: Need suggestion for seat upgrade - 2009 Road King Classic