Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

street glide vs sport tourer

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 12:10 PM
badblue
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go fast you will go fast no matter what the bike is. I rode gsxr1000's, R1's, and R6 bikes for a long time then decided I wanted to ride not just have fun. So, I looked at BMW and KTM but really wanted a Harley just never saw the right one. Then in 06 Harley put out the SG! I rented one and was hooked. I waited till 07 for the 6 speed and 96". The 09 has been made even better. I pass sport bikes and everything else when I am on the mountain twists or the highway and that is because I ride fast period! The only thing about the SG is it is lower (and I love the look) so I scrape the footboards all the time, but that just adds to the thrill.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Monochrome
Road Captain

I know what you mean. We have had 2 bikes for the last 3 years and I nearly went and got two HDs at trade in time. In the end I am happy I have a quick sports orientated bike as well as my Dyna. I think I still need that kind of ride, the buzz I get from red-lining a triple engine is still strong Of course this is now, maybe down the line the time will come when both bikes are HD or even one very nice CVO Road King or Street Glide. The beauty of a HD is that you don't need speed to get into the ride, just the feel of that engine and the rumble of those pipes and the world drifts by in a way no other bike can really duplicate. I think the possible problem you have is which ever bike you buy 6 months down the road you might be wishing you bought the other. In the end, however, you have to go for what feels right now and I don't think you can go wrong either way, at least in the short term

Old 10-27-2008, 02:52 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by onemotochica
I tested Road Glide and Street Glide in the same day. Sales guys and I each took one, then switched (about 5-10 miles each one...on the freeway) I prefered the street glide because the fairing is attached to the forks. It was an interesting feeling when the wind was hitting the fairing of the Road Glide (as you know is attached to the frame).
I own a Road Glide and can say without question that the bike is stabile as hell in the wind. I've been hit by gusts of wind on the road at a variety of speeds and the bike and front end held firm. The only way I knew the wind was blowing was because it started to shift me in my saddle but the bike was rock steady in any wind. (The wind affected my body but not the bike.) Very happy with it in that regard and in fact in all regards thus far. The Street Glide or any bike with fork mounted fairing will definitely be more affected by wind.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

No one bike satisfies me. That's why I ride an Ultra Classic and BMW K1100RS sport tourer.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:39 PM
superbacs
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Volfan615
I've been riding a BMW R1200RT for a couple of years but had the urge for a cruiser to ride around on sometimes for a change of pace. I decided on a Street Glide and just picked up my new 09 yesterday.

I've been VERY pleasantly surprised with the handling. I think it tracks better through the turns than my beemer and really feels planted to the road. The R1200RT might not see as much time as I thought.

If you haven't ridden an 09 you need to. Harley really got it right this time!
Hey Volfan, I'm in the same situation than you, I have been rideing a BMW R 1200 RT since 2006 and even if it is a good bike, with a lot of power, and a very smooth engine, I'd like to move to a Street Glide.

Is the Street better for two up rideing?
I love it but tha change cost a lot.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:31 PM
bikejocky
Advanced

thanks to all for the response. Your comments do help but in the end i have to decide.
It is going to be a tough decision for me and whether i buy the SG or a sport touring bike i don't think i can go wrong, but i will probably second guess my choice either way. Mainly because i like to just cruise along enjoying the ride but i also like to burn up the twistees.
In Arkansas i rode the twistees just as hard as i could all day long dragging pegs on nearly every curve and using the whole lane only stopping for gas and a burger. I may be an Adrenalin junky.
If i were young it would make since but at 53?

The guys i ride with usally can't or just won't hang with me when we hit the curves. So i wait for them down the road a ways.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:17 AM
onemotochica
Advanced

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
I own a Road Glide and can say without question that the bike is stabile as hell in the wind. I've been hit by gusts of wind on the road at a variety of speeds and the bike and front end held firm. The only way I knew the wind was blowing was because it started to shift me in my saddle but the bike was rock steady in any wind. (The wind affected my body but not the bike.) Very happy with it in that regard and in fact in all regards thus far. The Street Glide or any bike with fork mounted fairing will definitely be more affected by wind.
That was my point. Your bike is like a town car on how it makes your ride comfortable and "floaty". I prefer to feel the characteristics of the wind...more like how a sports car with a stiff suspension feels the road. I tested them back to back and I prefer the street glide...that's all. But for now...it's the road king with the detachable screen.

Last edited by onemotochica; 10-28-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:33 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I thought once about looking into something other than HD, but the wife would not hear of it.She is awesome,and has always been a Harley girl.So now we own 2 hot rodded Harleys and could not be happier.Good Luck

Old 10-28-2008, 08:52 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

My wife pretty much summed it up,those other bikes are ****in gay.This came about as I was looking for a second bike,ended up with a Nightster.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Lightngsvt2
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I decided to move out of my Softail Deluxe my first thought was a sport tourer. When I was in my 20's I rode bikes like the ZX6, etc but had a hard time controlling myself sometimes. I started looking at the Connie and the FJR (really liked the FJR), then looked at the BMW K1200GT. Wow that was an awesome bike! But I think it would be a boring commuter or just cruising honestly. The reason is it has so much power and capability you have to work to keep it at legal speeds.

I ended up with a beautiful 09 Street Glide and could not be any happier! It has gorgeous, classic yet custom looks, is superbly comfortable, is all metal, has excellent fit and finish, the 09 frame is top notch in the ride / handling / stability. Once underway this bike doesnt feel anything like an 800lb bike.

Quick Reply: street glide vs sport tourer