Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

street glide vs sport tourer

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 07:32 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you try out a new Road Glide? That is what many owners consider to be HDs sport tourer. Just a thought...

Old 10-27-2008, 07:51 AM
onemotochica
Advanced

How tall are you? How are your knees? I'm 6"0 and played bball in college. Knees bother me a bit when they are in the same position so I like the ability to move my legs around a bit on the floor boards and will be looking into highway pegs and engine guard setup.

I also had a BMW k1200rs for the commute (70 miles/day). Great bike for short distance but fatigue would set in from leaning over the bars slightly and from my legs stuck in a less-than-90% angle for too long.

I road to Sturgis from La with only a single night stay in Utah on my road king...the only thing sore was the rear end. ...and as long as you don't slam it, I get enough of the lean I want. Boards hit the pavement now and then...my version of training wheels I guess. teehee

I'm looking into the street glide because of all the new changes HD has made so that's my vote. Good luck!!

ps...BMW is gone!

Old 10-27-2008, 08:00 AM
onemotochica
Advanced

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
Did you try out a new Road Glide? That is what many owners consider to be HDs sport tourer. Just a thought...
I tested Road Glide and Street Glide in the same day. Sales guys and I each took one, then switched (about 5-10 miles each one...on the freeway) I prefered the street glide because the fairing is attached to the forks. It was an interesting feeling when the wind was hitting the fairing of the Road Glide (as you know is attached to the frame).

Old 10-27-2008, 08:42 AM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the sport tour bikes, for the long rides nothing will compare to my UC. That's the reason for getting the UC, comfort. Impossible for me to stay on a metric for 6+ hours. The UC, ride all day long with a smile on my face.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:02 AM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to consider the feeling a Harley provides which the other touring bikes will never have and it's not explainable. Every Harley owner knows the feeling that only riding an HD can provide. I personally would love to ride a concourse whenever I felt like it, but I am sure it would sit in the garage un-used 99% of the time. Given the choice between a Street Glide and a Concourse on a day to day basis the Street Glide is going to win. Granted for a while the concourse is going to be fun, but how fast can you ride in bumper to bumper traffic, tunes sure are nice then. When you go on long rides, would you rather be in a recliner with tunes or that concourse seat. You ultimately have to make the decision here, but I would bet you'll sell the concourse within 2 years and get a Harley.

Another point I wanted to add. The concourse will always just be one of many concourse. It'll look just like all the others. The Harley's have endless customization options that allow each person to make it their own. Granted the sport bike culture has made some huge strides in this area, but they're not quite there yet.

Last edited by itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$; 10-27-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:31 AM
mkekid
Cruiser
Default Go for the SPEED!

I too have owned many fast bikes,FJR,R1 & VMAX.I swore that I would never own a Harley Davidson,but now am the very happy owner of an 08 ultra.I will always miss the exhilarating speed,but now do two up riding with the wife and like that as well.I would suggest that since you stated that you will be doing mostly solo riding,get the bike that will give you the most thrills for the buck.Some day when I can afford it,I plan on adding the new 09 VMAX to my stable.You really can't go wrong with any of the other bikes you mentioned.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Phurion
Road Warrior

If I were going to buy a Sport Tourer it would definitely be the new Connie.

Lots of good suggestions here. I'm on the "now's the time to buy two" band wagon.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:48 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bikejocky
Rode to Fayetteville, Ar. during bikes blues and bbq to do demo rides on sport tourers, i had already ridden the HD's that interested me.
Now i am unsure what i will buy in 09. I had pretty much made up my mind that it would be a SG, or UC but now?? I really like the HD's but i also really like the kawasaki concours 1400 and the yamaha fjr. As you all know the HD's have a feel all their own which is great, but the sport touring bikes have quite a bit of torque and mind numbing speed. You hit 80+ before you can say go and they handle the curves like they are on rails.
I wish i could have both!!
Hey Bike Jockey, the simple answer is: Go buy the Concours or the FJR. They're fine bikes, and I'm sure you'd enjoy them. I think they even have their own forums for discussing various issues related to their specific models. It's a win, win. Ride safely and enjoy your new ride......

Old 10-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 385 Likes on 219 Posts

Bikejocky, you mentioned you have test ridden Harley's and the FJR & Concours. Of importance may be what kind of riding do you do now? Who do you ride with and what kind of bikes are they on? Birds of a feather thing. It's not that different kinds of motorcycles *can't* ride together, it's that if they do some are gonna be out of their element.

My personal take on the sport tourers is they are in really in their element riding at a "brisk" pace but they are arguably one of the most versatile categories of road motorcycle. They are pretty comfortable, fast, have good carrying capacity, and handle well. Because of their luggage and weather protection they make good commuters also. I looked closely at the new Concours and almost bought one last year but ended up with slightly used K12GT instead. Right now if I choosing between the two you mentioned I'd do the FJR. BTW what Harley would you be most interested in?

Old 10-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain

I have a 05' FJR with 3300 miles for sale. The only reason I ould sell it is because it is like driving a Ferrari. It doesn't feel good going slow. It calls out to you to ride it like a maniac all the time. I am getting too old for that. T.

Quick Reply: street glide vs sport tourer