Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Klockwerks 12" rg shield review

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 07:53 PM
creep1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Klockwerks 12" rg shield review

Wanted to throw my 2 cents in about the 12" flare windshield for roadglides from klockwerks. first let me start off saying that I wasnt completely unhappy with my stock shield but beleived there was a better product out there and I was on the hunt. I ordered a medium shield from clearview (1" taller).At first I was in awe from the quality, fit and finish. I still am ! But as time went on I felt the shield was actually too thick. line of sight was uncertain. I was constantly struggling for that sweet spot. So again I was on the hunt. From the moment klockwerks revealed there product I was all eyes and ears. Read tons of reviews from everyone on here. My buddy got the short model and raved about it and I loved the look and fit. I took a chance and ordered the 12 inch. From the first 5 min on the bike it was like riding a new bike. Unbelievable product. The pictures on the site dont do it justice. In person the 12" looks amazing. The wind actually diverts away from you just like the wind tunnel pics show. Bike handles very different. I feel its the perfct amount of protection and function. Im very surprised by the negative reviews its gotten. This is my third shield and my last . One of my favorite and best upgrades

Old 10-26-2008, 07:57 PM
easyglider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Personally I really like my 8" recurve from clearview.Were you looking over the clearview or through?

Old 10-26-2008, 07:59 PM
creep1
Road Captain

thats the problem< iwas looking half through and half over depending on riding position. check out the klockwerks 12". I swear by it

Old 10-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

It's great to hear that the Klock Werks worked out well for you! I really enjoyed mine for my daily commute and on backcountry roads, but it was tiring during an all-day or multi-day trip on the interstate. So I eventually went back to the Clearview - but there are times when I wish I still had the Klock Werks.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:17 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

to each his own but i am waiting on my clearview +1. had one on th e electra glide and loved it. bought the 12 " kw for new rg and after 1 ride took it off and sold it for 50.00 loss. absolutely hated it. but again, to each his own. good luck and ride safe....

Old 10-26-2008, 08:19 PM
FLoTR
Road Master
Cool 09FLoTR

I'm glad to hear bout the Flare. I'm 6 ft and was wonderin what shield would be best to look over the top of and still get protection from the elements. Does this 12 in. Flare protect better than the stock RG shield? I'm getting tired of adjusting my position just to go thru curves also.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:37 PM
LPFRAY
Cruiser

Havn't be able to try mine out yet, still getting work done/finished. I am like you and going to give the KW 12" a try, in fact the factory one will only see the trunk of my car. First run on the bike will be with the KW. Like I have said before, the styling alone is enough to get it. Time will tell, but I was quite happy with the stock one on my 03 RG, and as far as wind protection, I live in Kansas. Wind here is a way of life. I get a 30 degree lean angle on a straight away.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:05 PM
creep1
Road Captain

The 12 " flare protects the best , But in a different way. If you hold your hand in front of your face and move your hand up and down and side to side you can actually tell where the wind is being deflected. the 12" pushes the wind up and over your helmet. the side curves bring the wind around the rider. I feel with the stock shield and anything taller the wind hits the shield then engulfs the rider.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by creep1
The 12 " flare protects the best , But in a different way. If you hold your hand in front of your face and move your hand up and down and side to side you can actually tell where the wind is being deflected. the 12" pushes the wind up and over your helmet. the side curves bring the wind around the rider. I feel with the stock shield and anything taller the wind hits the shield then engulfs the rider.

How tall are you? I am 6'3" and would like a better windshield than the stock one, but have not tried anything else because of the bad reviews.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:14 PM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by creep1
Wanted to throw my 2 cents in about the 12" flare windshield for roadglides from klockwerks. first let me start off saying that I wasnt completely unhappy with my stock shield but beleived there was a better product out there and I was on the hunt. I ordered a medium shield from clearview (1" taller).At first I was in awe from the quality, fit and finish. I still am ! But as time went on I felt the shield was actually too thick. line of sight was uncertain. I was constantly struggling for that sweet spot. So again I was on the hunt. From the moment klockwerks revealed there product I was all eyes and ears. Read tons of reviews from everyone on here. My buddy got the short model and raved about it and I loved the look and fit. I took a chance and ordered the 12 inch. From the first 5 min on the bike it was like riding a new bike. Unbelievable product. The pictures on the site dont do it justice. In person the 12" looks amazing. The wind actually diverts away from you just like the wind tunnel pics show. Bike handles very different. I feel its the perfct amount of protection and function. Im very surprised by the negative reviews its gotten. This is my third shield and my last . One of my favorite and best upgrades
I just finished a 2600 mile roadtrip to daytona and back (included a side trip) with my 12" KW shield. I love the shield... I get more wind than either the stock shield or the Clearview I had on there, but I am riding a dang motorcycle after all... Windshields are like exhaust systems... whats right for one may not be right for another... you just gotta find what you like. The KW 12" is my 4th windshield, prolly my last... (stock, clearview, KW 6", KW 12"). although Kuryakyn is coming out with a touring version of their RG windshield this winter that looks promising...

My only comment is that I wish it was made from a slightly thicker material, there is one spot in the rpm range that makes it vibrate a little but its no big deal, the stock shield did it too but the Clearview, being thicker, did not.

Quick Reply: Klockwerks 12" rg shield review