Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Case Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 07:43 PM
chesterbud
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary Case Problems

Guys, I stripped a screw head when trying to remove the primary case cover to change the oil. It's seized pretty well and those d%$^#$% Torx head screws sure didn't offer a lot of grip. I will try to use a screw extractor to remove it but if I can't I'm wondering what's involved to remove the whole left side engine case. All I see are a few allen screws and will likely have to remove the shifter and floor board. Is there anything else I should know about before I start pulling off the cover??

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks......

Old 10-26-2008, 07:54 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chesterbud
Guys, I stripped a screw head when trying to remove the primary case cover to change the oil. It's seized pretty well and those d%$^#$% Torx head screws sure didn't offer a lot of grip. I will try to use a screw extractor to remove it but if I can't I'm wondering what's involved to remove the whole left side engine case. All I see are a few allen screws and will likely have to remove the shifter and floor board. Is there anything else I should know about before I start pulling off the cover??

Thanks......
First, take a hammer and your Torx bit...hammer the bit into the screw pretty firm...then put your ratchet on the torx bit.

Mosttttttt of the time, the screw will come out.
Use new screws when you put the cover back on.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:56 PM
2kflhr
Cruiser

You can file a slot into the stripped bolt and remove it with a big screw driver most cases. I've done it several times.

*Suggestion.... Don't chintz on the quality of the torx sockets you use, buy a Snap-On or Mac socket for these bad boys. It's usually the wear in the socket that causes them to strip out. Also, the bolts only like .90 cents each at the H-D shop and not cost prohibitive t replace each time.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:57 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,227 Likes on 1,842 Posts

If you stripped out the T27 you may be able to gently hammer in a T30 and make it fit snug enough to back the screw out. Others have dremeled a slit in the head to use a screwdriver to back them out. A screw extractor also works. Prior to taking them out from the factory you should use a hand impact to get them removed. Replace with allens if you like when you take them out.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:04 PM
tobyhd1
Tourer

Originally Posted by chesterbud

Thanks......
I believe you meant to say the "whole inner primary".You cannot get to the left engine case from where you are at with the stripped bolts.Just FYI.Toby

Old 10-26-2008, 08:11 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tobyhd1
I believe you meant to say the "whole inner primary".You cannot get to the left engine case from where you are at with the stripped bolts.Just FYI.Toby
After reading his post the 2nd time...guy sounds "green" to me.
The cover he's trying to remove is the inspection cover.
Why would he remove the outter cover to change the oil???

And if he's asking about removing the case...he might be better off taking the bike to a shop if he can't get that screw out. Or an even better idea...invest in a Service Manual.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:50 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Had a similar problem awhile back. I thought the torx size was #25. One head was really messed up because of this. I drilled it out (carefully) and bought a new set of chrome screws at HD for about $15.00. Being the dumbass that I am I used the # 25 Torx to reinstall the new screws. Still didn't realize they were #27s. It's better to be lucky than smart sometimes. The new screws are fine in spite of me and a new set of Snap-On drivers are on my list. It helps to give the screws a good rap with a hammer when removing them.