Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cover woes.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 05:52 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cover woes.....

Just want to pass this info on. I garage my bike but wanted an inexpensive cover to protect from dust etc while in the garage. I bought the #71045 Superior grade travel cover from ADCO http://www.adcoprod.com/motorcycle_covers_travel.htm and had a problem. Rode the bike last weekend and put it in the garge to cool off completely (and while it was still warm outdoors) then covered it hours later. Today, pulled the cover to do some work and found the bike was almost dripping wet (the chrome WAS dripping wet.) and proves this cover does not breath whatsoever. They claim to have vents and not to trap condensation, but it just don't work. I'll keep it as a travel cover for when I do overnighters etc but as a dust cover, I'l find something else, lest I have a rust bucket bike in short order.

Just wanted to warn others who may buy this same cover.

Last edited by RODEO; 10-25-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:07 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:43 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This is what I have for my bike when I store it in my shop. It is basically a cotton sheet that is fitted for you bike. I wash it in the washer if it gets dirty. Works great as a dust cover and it breaths.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ust-Cover.aspx

Old 10-25-2008, 07:07 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

This is the one I picked up for my ride.....

+1 on the quality. I also have a complete set of their raingear.

Nelson-Rigg Deluxe All Season Cover

• The Nelson-Rigg Deluxe All Season Cover made from high-density treated polyester to withstand today's elements and be water-resistant
  • Treated with exclusive UVEX to block out harmful UV rays that are the leading cause of color fading
  • Air ventilators to prevent condensation and heat shield lower panels
  • Four oversized grommets with bungees at front wheel and middle of bike for security
  • Soft windshield liner and snug fully-elasticized hem
  • Packed into its own attractive carry all
  • Not intended for trailering

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...son-Cover.aspx

Last edited by DrPlastic; 10-25-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:08 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sifularson
This is what I have for my bike when I store it in my shop. It is basically a cotton sheet that is fitted for you bike. I wash it in the washer if it gets dirty. Works great as a dust cover and it breaths.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ust-Cover.aspx
Nelson -Riggs is quality stuff. I have a outdoor cover for mine at work, like DrPlastics, only black. Works great. Always a dry bike.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:55 AM
GlennA
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
Just want to pass this info on. I garage my bike but wanted an inexpensive cover to protect from dust etc while in the garage. I bought the #71045 Superior grade travel cover from ADCO http://www.adcoprod.com/motorcycle_covers_travel.htm and had a problem. Rode the bike last weekend and put it in the garge to cool off completely (and while it was still warm outdoors) then covered it hours later. Today, pulled the cover to do some work and found the bike was almost dripping wet (the chrome WAS dripping wet.) and proves this cover does not breath whatsoever. They claim to have vents and not to trap condensation, but it just don't work. I'll keep it as a travel cover for when I do overnighters etc but as a dust cover, I'l find something else, lest I have a rust bucket bike in short order.

Just wanted to warn others who may buy this same cover.
If you will hang a trouble light under the cover, it will burn off any trapped moisture. That's what I have done for years. I normally use a 100W bulb, but a 60W will probably do.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Fishermanbb
Advanced
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GlennA
If you will hang a trouble light under the cover, it will burn off any trapped moisture. That's what I have done for years. I normally use a 100W bulb, but a 60W will probably do.

I use something called the "Goldenrod"....You can buy it at any West Marine store. It's a thin metal rod that you can get anywhere from 18" up to I think 48". I have a 24" under the bike. You just mount it to a 2X4 of the same length, plug it in, leave it under the bike (With a cover on the bike) and it uses very little electricity, is only warm to the touch, and eliminates moisture......Great product and works like a charm......

Old 10-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you guys and your cover woes at home and in your garage just kill me, you want to make this thing so much more complicated than it has to be, don't get me wrong I use a good quality rain cover when traveling while parked at hotels at night but as much for security as rain. At home in the garage for dust, for years now I use a king size sheet, try it, works great.

Last edited by Deepsouth251; 10-26-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:19 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah thanks for the heads-up. So far haven't had a cover for it beyond a king-sized quilt I throw over it in the garage at nite to keep the dust off. I may someday get one for road trips though so will be mindful of the BREATHING part.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:15 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deepsouth251
All you guys and your cover woes at home and in your garage just kill me, you want to make this thing so much more complicated than it has to be, don't get me wrong I use a good quality rain cover when traveling while parked at hotels at night but as much for security as rain. At home in the garage for dust, for years now I use a king size sheet, try it, works great.
Guess what? That's whats on the bike right now. My wife had a bag packed for good will and inside she reminded me were two good fitted sheets that she didn't use. They are on my bike right now and serve the purpose. I still can't believe how much moisture had built up in the first place and will investigate the "golden rod" from West Marine, since I do shop there. Thanks for the ideas and suggestions, including the "keep it simple, stupid" one which I have now applied.

Quick Reply: Cover woes.....