Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My white Ultra needs a make over!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuces R Wild
It's ok, but doesn't say anything about you or the bike. It would need more to be complete. Check out these sites for ideas.

http://www.custompainting.com/homepage.htm

http://www.airea5150.com/index1.html
Thanks, great sites. I really like the stuff in the custom painting site.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Smiddyt
Cruiser

I was told about this site that has decals that look like they were painted on, and they glow in the dark. I was thinking about doing that to mine. www.purpleharley.com

Old 11-13-2008, 09:41 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Personally, as fine a motorcycle as the Ultra is in stock form (and it's superb IMO), it reminds me of a "sensible" family sedan.

The painted inner fairing and chrome controls will have a big impact on how you feel about your bike 'cause you'll see them when you ride, not only when it's parked.

You can also consider removing the front chrome and rubber bumper, and ditching the cheap fender trim at the back of the front fender and replace the latter with a nice chrome piece.

Another big improvement IMO is replacing the pancake turn signals/towel bar passing lamp bracket with the Custom Auxilary Light Bracket and Bullet Turn Signal Kit HD offers--it's the same set-up used on the SE Ultras since 2004 model year.

As a less expensive alternative to the SE passing lamp/turn signal kit, you can remove your passing lamp/turn signal bracket and install the SG turn signal bracket w/ bullet turn signals. The brackets are $22 each and the turn signals are $68 for the pair--about $110.

Also, it's not difficult to remove the unpainted, black plastic TP light bar on the rear and have it painted to match the TP color which is what HD has done on several of the latest SE Ultra TP's.

Collectively, some relatively modest mods can significantly change the appearance of the bike, albeit without the eye-popping effect of a full-bike, custom paint job.

Good luck with your projects--I'm sure you will find more that appeal to you.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

To heck with painting the inner fairing. Do you guys know what HD paint costs???? Man, I had no idea! I just found out to do my inner fairing with glacier white pearl I would have to buy two different paints (base coat and cover coat). One was about $80 and the other was about $90. That doesn't include the clear coat. And of course there is the labor costs.

I can get a brand new inner fairing already painted from HD for about $450 with the current discount they have at the dealership. I'd rather pay a few bucks more and be sure it will match perfectly. The little money I'd save having my old one painted isn't worth the risk of it not matching well.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:51 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

To your original question, "YES," which is why many use PPG paint rather than buying a quart of HD paint only to have at least 1/2 left over after the inner fairing and cap are shot.

The PPG paint code for your Glacier White Pearl is 903148 (tri-coat). Stop by a PPG jobber or auto shop with PPG mixing facility/computer and confirm it on his computer. If you carry the parts into the shop, see what he'll charge you. If your HD price is $450, you'll get about $100 selling your take-offs, so your net cost is $350.

Good luck with your project.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Roadjunkie1
Banned

some folks like them and some folks dont

Old 11-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
To your original question, "YES," which is why many use PPG paint rather than buying a quart of HD paint only to have at least 1/2 left over after the inner fairing and cap are shot.

The PPG paint code for your Glacier White Pearl is 903148 (tri-coat). Stop by a PPG jobber or auto shop with PPG mixing facility/computer and confirm it on his computer. If you carry the parts into the shop, see what he'll charge you. If your HD price is $450, you'll get about $100 selling your take-offs, so your net cost is $350.

Good luck with your project.
Would the PPG paint have the same look in the sunlight as the original Glacier White Pearl (the blue specks showing through)?

Old 11-13-2008, 05:07 PM
White Knight 04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are more White Ultras out there than you think... I have done quite a bit of traveling and seen many of them...Look at my album and you might get some Ideas...

Jer