Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My white Ultra needs a make over!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would paint the inner fairing and old school flames with a different color pearl. would be very subtle

Old 10-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkermc
I would paint the inner fairing and old school flames with a different color pearl. would be very subtle
What is old school flames? Do you have any examples?

Old 10-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Turkey Lips
Advanced

Personally, I think flames on a bike that has pinstripes looks a little odd. I think a bike should have one or the other. I would leave the paint alone. That color is really nice. If you do add something, keep it simple. I saw a white Ultra last weekend with wide white walls on it, and looked really nice. It was just an overall clean, classy, good lookin' bike. Everyone here has different tastes. It's really just gonna come down to what fits your personality.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:53 PM
raceframe
Advanced

I think the white Ultra has to be one of Harley Davidsons classiest looking touring bikes.Clean and not cluttered up on a motorcycle that allready has alot going on.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:57 PM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 05 Ultra with the Glacier White and Pearl. I added a flag/eagle to the front of my fairing(decal)to see if I liked it and this winter I am considering getting it airbrushed on. I know decals are cheap, but it is a good way to find something you like..LOL

Joe

Last edited by PDDGM; 10-26-2008 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:41 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Ozoneman, you haven't owned the bike long enough, IMO, to get past the "looking at your own bike" phase of ownership. At some point in ownership, you may discover that you are more interested in riding it, so accessories that make it safer and/or more enjoyable to ride will transcend cosmetic changes that you don't see while riding.

Shoot the inner fairing; swap out the stock gauges with SE spun aluminum, or SG silver/white face gauges; change the seat; add chrome controls; install speakers in the fairing lowers; swap out the cams/build a strong 95" motor; etc. Do the things that will make the bike better AND that you can see and/or feel while riding.

If you want to paint the bike, I don't know how easy/costly it is to eliminate the pinstripes.

It's your bike; your money; do what pleases you.
I agree. I bought a concord purple used 2001 Ultra late July. I hated the color. Was planning on putting on one of those black leather covers on the fairing for a quick fix. However 5000+ miles later the color has grown on me and I am use to it.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:51 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd say just bite the bullet. Pick out what you've always wanted. Strip the bike, and send the whole thing out for paint. You've gone through your white phase, and now it's time for something else. I know, I ended up doing the same thing. We all go through these phases. And new paint is like getting a brand new bike. And a ton cheaper. So, go for it, if you can dream it, it can happen. Step off the edge and get what you've always wanted. Don't just settle, and merge, and match and coordinate....go all the way. You'll love it, and you'll be glad you did. Winter is the opportune time to do it. Enjoy the dark side, and get what you've always wanted. Never mind what any of the knuckleheads here tell you, do what YOU"VE always wanted. It's in there, lurking, gestating, bubbling, and only you know what it is. Maybe it's a take off from your basic white, or maybe it's candy apple red, with wild graphics, orange and black with real flames, or old school black with 50's flames and blue pinstripes (no, don't do that, that's mine.) Let it out my friend, the time slips by faster than any of us wants to believe. Like NIKE say's, just DO IT!!!

Old 10-26-2008, 05:22 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Ooo...Kay bigskyhd that was a little different...did you just come from a paint your bike rally.

The inner fairing will do you wonders for how you and others look at your bike.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:27 PM
jimsuver
Supporter
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If my bike ever needs to be painted white will be the color. I try to get all my stuff in white cars, trucks it is sure easy to keep looking good. I'm sure you will like anything you do with it, but I would just ride it.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:48 PM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by raceframe
I think the white Ultra has to be one of Harley Davidsons classiest looking touring bikes.Clean and not cluttered up on a motorcycle that allready has alot going on.
+1. The Ultra is the easiest bike to screw up. What looks good on a Softail or Road King will, more often than not, look just plain dumb on an Ultra. Look at the Harley paint sets and you will begin to get the picture. I only found 1, and that was for the bike and sidecar. The white inner fairing, along with the "right" chrome accessories will be plenty. The key is not to overdo it.

Quick Reply: My white Ultra needs a make over!