Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering a new Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 09:33 AM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering a new Street Glide

Hi all,

Looking into a 09 Street Glide, have to tip toe it due to my short legs (inseam 29"). Dealer said they can change shocks (air-shocks?) to lower the bike, but not sure by how much. Also looking into changing the seat to a lower profile solo, but HD catalog doesn't mention how low either, if any.

Here is my dilemma, don't want to pull the trigger w/o trying the lowering shocks, etc. And of course the dealers won't put them on just for me to "try it out".

I have Mean City Cycle modified my seat before, and it turns out great, lower and a lot more comfortable. Will definitely do that, but that only lower the seating by about 1.5", I think I'll need at least 3" or more total for me to flat foot it.

Any ideas or comments? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Araba Shriner
Road Master

Im sort of in the same boat as you... 30" inseam. I went to the Progressive shocks and can flat foot long as I am riding with my boots. I recently changed seats to a lower profile made by HD, which sits lower and farther back. Now I can flat foot without wearing boots. Might consider giving this a try. Good Luck

Old 10-25-2008, 09:51 AM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 30" inseam and sit flat footed with bent knees on my 09 SG with the stock seat, so I'm not sure why your 1" shorter legs are causing you to be on tip toes. That having been said, the SG is already lowered in the rear by 1". You can lower the front 1" with HD springs and put on a lower profile seat (I just got a Danny Gray big seat, but that was for comfort, not for height though it did lower me another 1"). Beyond that, unless you want to be scraping your boards all the time, you may want to stick with a Sportster, Dyna, or Soft Tail.

Harry

Old 10-25-2008, 09:57 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a 27.5 inseam, SG already has the shorter shocks. Just wondering what the dealer is trying to sell you.

I just had the seat shaved and no problem. Be fore you spend any other money ride for aleast 1000 miles on your glide. Get use to balance and center of gravity a touring buy has before you mess with the suspension un-necessarily.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:00 AM
brinks13081
Cruiser

I don't get it, I have a 30 inseam and I'm flat footed on my 09 SG.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:03 AM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Originally Posted by Araba Shriner
Im sort of in the same boat as you... 30" inseam. I went to the Progressive shocks and can flat foot long as I am riding with my boots. I recently changed seats to a lower profile made by HD, which sits lower and farther back. Now I can flat foot without wearing boots. Might consider giving this a try. Good Luck

Thank you very much for all your fast replys, Araba, can you give me the model # of the Progressive shocks and HD seat, much appreciated.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:10 AM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Originally Posted by HarryDavidson
I have a 30" inseam and sit flat footed with bent knees on my 09 SG with the stock seat, so I'm not sure why your 1" shorter legs are causing you to be on tip toes. That having been said, the SG is already lowered in the rear by 1". You can lower the front 1" with HD springs and put on a lower profile seat (I just got a Danny Gray big seat, but that was for comfort, not for height though it did lower me another 1"). Beyond that, unless you want to be scraping your boards all the time, you may want to stick with a Sportster, Dyna, or Soft Tail.

Harry

Maybe I should clarify, not really "tip toeing", I should've said the ***** of my feet touche ground, just want to flat foot it mostly for "walking" the bike. You're correct, I have a 07 Sportster 1200L, with 11" progressive shocks and modified seat, feel more secure. And the SG is at least 170 lbs heavier, maybe I need to get use to the weight of the bike while stationary. Thanks for your fast reply.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:33 PM
jeg1
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Old 10-26-2008, 08:42 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 3/4 life crisis
Maybe I should clarify, not really "tip toeing", I should've said the ***** of my feet touche ground, just want to flat foot it mostly for "walking" the bike.
My dad was in the same boat with his Ultra. He started with the same shocks as you already have on your SG which is HD's lowering shocks. He then dropped the front end with the HD lowering kit for the front. I would think that would solve your problems since the seat on the SG is already pretty low. The last thing you want to do is add lowering blocks to your existing shocks, would be a bad thing for the wiring in your rear fender and migh even make it just plain unsafe to ride.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:57 AM
crfranklin65
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 29" inseam and have had my 2009 Street Glide since August. I had Mean City modify my seat and while they took 1 1/2" off the seat height, the 2009's are wider and because of the spread of my legs, the modification only lowered me 1/2".

I put the front end lowering kit on and it helped some but since it didn't get me flat footed either I almost wish I'd waited on that mod.

The Harley Reach seat dropped me an 1" from stock so I ride it. I have a custom ordered Corbin on the way. They were able to get me lower on my 2006 Heritage than the Harley softail Reach seat so I'm hoping for the same results.

I found some platform boots on e-bay with 2 3/4 heel and right now I can be on the ground as long as its flat.

I'm going to tough it out until Spring and if I find its still a problem I am going with the Arnott Aldan air ride suspension 12". I called and visited with them and was real impressed with their product and what I've read on line. It will allow me to drop it 2" while in parking lots but raise it for better highway riding and maneuverability. I like that aspect but don't want to spend the extra money right now. ($999 + labor)

Compared to the lean angle of my Heritage, I don't think I'd drag anything even if it were 1" lower. My Heritage and Deluxe drug boards all the time. Wouldn't go back despite the stretch to the ground. My Street Glide makes me want to ride all day.

Keep searching and reading and you'll find what works best for you.

Although seat heights on 2008 and 2009 are the same, the width is not. I like the upgrades on 2009 but sometimes wish I'd gotten 2008 due to my short legs. I weigh 140 lbs but my hips are not very wide at all. I'm really spread out at stops.

Quick Reply: Lowering a new Street Glide