Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering a new Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:24 AM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I swapped stock seats with my buddy (he has an 08 FLHX) for a ride one day...did not seem to be any differnece in the seat. I have not checked P/Ns, but I think it's the same exact seat. It may be different, but I sure couldn't tell the difference.

Also, you guys with "29 inch inseams" that can't stand flat footed on an 09 FLHX...you need to get remeasured. I know for sure I have a 30" inseam (I just had some suits custom made about a month ago) and I stand flat footed with knees bent on my 09 FLHX.

Harry

Old 10-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryDavidson
I swapped stock seats with my buddy (he has an 08 FLHX) for a ride one day...did not seem to be any differnece in the seat. I have not checked P/Ns, but I think it's the same exact seat. It may be different, but I sure couldn't tell the difference.
Harry
FWIW, all the HD seats on there accessories page use the same PN for 08 & 09

Old 10-26-2008, 01:39 PM
crfranklin65
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryDavidson

Also, you guys with "29 inch inseams" that can't stand flat footed on an 09 FLHX...you need to get remeasured. I know for sure I have a 30" inseam (I just had some suits custom made about a month ago) and I stand flat footed with knees bent on my 09 FLHX.

Harry
I don't think its just my inseam that is the problem. My hips are not wide enough (as a woman I'm not complaining about that!) I have to spread my legs further than somebody with wide hip structure which takes up my inseam and keeps me from getting flat footed compared to other 29 inch inseams.

I've double checked my inseam numerous times and it is really just 29. But I've ridden 2008 St Glide demo model and I could get my heels almost 1" closer to the ground because the 2008 bike isn't as wide.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:58 PM
Araba Shriner
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3/4 life crisis
Thank you very much for all your fast replys, Araba, can you give me the model # of the Progressive shocks and HD seat, much appreciated.
The Progressive shocks are the 440's - Not sure about the seat, I bought it from a local guy who purchased it at Biketoberfest last year. I will check into it.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:14 PM
slvr_bullit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 28" inseam and ride on 08 SG. I put the reach seat on and the progressive front lowering springs for a 1" drop. I am flat foot with Frye boots. I put over 3000 miles on it, and still at times wish for a little lower stance on the bike for parking lot purposes. I think a better set of bars would benefit me more than the seat height so I can have more leverage on the bike when walking it around. I am considering a set of adjustable air shocks though. I can lower as much as I want in a parking lot and then when I get out on the road, raise it back up to stock height to avoid the scraping. Granted, this is a larger investment but if you like the "slammed" look, air ride can give you that and comfort. Seems to me to be the winning combination.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:33 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Do you wear sneakers when you ride? It doesn't matter to me what a person wears, but footwear is about the cheapest mod that anyone that is vertically challenged can do for ride comfort. I wear Chippewa Logger style boots and the thicker sole and even higher heel go a long way towards placing my foot solidly on the ground.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:06 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Look at seats and or thicker soled shoes FIRST.

I recommend the mustang solo. It sits lower, is narrow at the nose, and is MUCH better seat. While this site has 07 seats, I think the 09 models would be very similar. Pay attention to the seat hieght measurements, and note the narrow nose on the mustang solo compared the the SG seat in the fotos.

The only rub is they don't have an 09 model out yet (coming in Jan)

http://home.comcast.net/~kceder/seats.html

The SG is already lowered, You keep taking travel out of the back end, and it WILL ride like a hard-tail. You can get just as much closer to the ground by changing your seat, then you have a better seat as well. 2 for 1 deal.

Last edited by flyingace; 10-26-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:54 PM
crfranklin65
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They do look more narrow at the nose. Wish they had a close model that moved you closer to the bars too. Wonder if they do custom orders?

Old 10-26-2008, 06:11 PM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crfranklin65
I have to spread my legs further than somebody with wide hip structure
Being that I'm a gentleman, I'm gonna leave that comment alone ;-)

Harry

Old 10-26-2008, 06:21 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by crfranklin65
They do look more narrow at the nose. Wish they had a close model that moved you closer to the bars too. Wonder if they do custom orders?

Nope, they dont.

Their 1 piece seats do sit a closer to the bars than does the solo.

Quick Reply: Lowering a new Street Glide