Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trip next april to the southwest

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Iamopie2FLHRC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trip next april to the southwest

Not really sure where to post this, but since I have a touring bike and so do you all, I would go to the subject matter experts on touring.

Me and my father are planning a father-son bike ride starting around mid-april next year on our two RKCs. I think it will still be a little cold then to go through the rockies so we are thinking of heading southwest towards the grand canyon and such. What is the weather like around those parts around that time, and what are some good stops to hit up.

We will be taking a good two weeks to travel and will be starting in NC and first stopping off at west point to visit some fallen friends, after that its pretty much up in the air.

I am open to suggestions..

Old 10-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Send Billnourse a PM...he lives in NW New Mexico and has traveled the SW extensively. Also, you might head down to the Regional Threads on this forum and check out the talk on the Southweast thread. There's a lot of guys who do a lot of riding from TX to AZ there and I bet they can give you some good advice.

BTW, the Grand Canyon is at relatively high elevation and can get some very heavy snow falls in April. Go to weather.com and check out season averages for Flagstaff, AZ.

Is there any way you and your dad can delay your trip a couple of months? Even in early June it'll be cool in the mountains but you'll really have a lot more options (roads) open to you by then.

ride safe.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:53 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're coming all the way from NC, hit VEGAS. Great town, lots of bikes, cheap hotels, cheap food, cheap entertainment, and there's some great rides within minutes of the city. Send the Chamber of Commerce a note in Vegas, and they'll send you a package.

Last edited by bigskyhd; 10-25-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Iamopie2FLHRC
Advanced

I wish i could delay it a couple months, but that is the only time i will have leave while i am switching posts from ft. campbell to the captains career course in oklahoma. So that time frame is my only shot at a long break to go on vacation.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Cruise
Advanced

April is my favorite time of year to ride west. Last mid April I rode to Vegas from Houston. It was 42 degrees leaving Houston and 93 the next day in Tucson. It's hard to predict the temperatures depending on cold fronts from the north. Just two weeks later it was 103 degrees in Tucson. I think the coldest ride I remember was coming back a few years ago between Vegas and Albuquerque at night without winter clothes. (April). This past season it was just 50 at night and 80's daylight on the way back. Although bulky I'd bring some warm gear because it can suprise you.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:51 PM
StreetKing
Tourer

THANKS for serving! Be safe.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some of the nicest spots in the country are the parks in Utah. Check the weather to see if you can hit some of these on the way - Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Natural Bridges, Valley of the Gods, Arches, Monument Valley, Goosenecks State Park, and Canyon do Chelly in AZ. Let me know if you have any questions about these.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:27 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Lived in New Mexico 27 yrs, weather could change in 5 minutes. I would think just be prepared for that. A lot of good ridin in the entire state, the enchanted circle out of Taos is great. Ruidoso and Cloudcroft is a little cool that time of the year. Winds here usually start in mar and end in may. Don't hesitate to PM me if you are heading this way. My youngest daughter leaves for Ft Lee tomorrow to finish up the last phase of the captain's career course. She is off to Iraq in june. Thank you for your service to this great country.