Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Vivid Black????

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008 | 11:21 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

What is better than one black bike . . .

Alas, I sold the Sporty.

Old 10-24-2008 | 11:24 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Metallic & black don't really work. You either end up with dark gray metallic, or something that looks like a bass boat. I've experimented with black and crushed glass, crushed mirror, different colored crystals (red, green blue...). I've tried to find or create a good looking black candy, but, nothing I like yet.

Small amounts of mirrored or colored crystal, or, doing a nice deep black base (add 10% violet to give it good depth), a clear midcoat with a bit of glass, mirror and or crystal (but not too much), looks pretty good.

Old 10-25-2008 | 12:50 AM
BRO
Tourer

Because they don't come any darker!

Old 10-25-2008 | 04:36 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member

I happen to like black also. If you take care of your paint it's no different then any other color when it comes to durability. Plus, Harley's only come in two colors, Black and the other ones!

Old 10-25-2008 | 05:16 AM
cmcsns
Road Master

Originally Posted by Monstermile
Ok some of you missed the point of this thread completely. Not why black. That is obvious. But why Harley doesn't use a better quality metallic black since black is so popular.
Because it would cut into their profit margin!

Old 10-25-2008 | 07:09 AM
GGC
Road Warrior

Any color You want,,,as long as it's black!!

Old 10-25-2008 | 07:15 AM
ConnMan
Road Master

Originally Posted by Trock
I have vivid black and 3 black cars. I like black, and it's all in how your wash, dry and wax them. Black has nothing to do with price for me. There are a lot of nice looking bikes that are not black, but there's nothing prettier than black and chrome.
Bingo. My bike and car are black. No scratches or swirls on either of 'em. Even under the "lights of truth". [Think construction style halogens.]

Originally Posted by StreetGlider56
Well black tends to blend with the frame, seat, handgrips...
now another color it just doesn't flow like black... maybe they should try color matching the frame on color bikes... like the CVO's

I've seen this and is looks really great...
Another good point. Blue tins on a bike with a black frame looks wrong to me.

Old 10-25-2008 | 07:19 AM
ConnMan
Road Master

Originally Posted by Monstermile
Ok some of you missed the point of this thread completely. Not why black. That is obvious. But why Harley doesn't use a better quality metallic black since black is so popular.
The "quality" of the paint has nothing to do with the ability to detect sctratches. Metallic black [or any other color] has just as many, they're just more difficult to "see".

Harley's Vivid Black is "soft". This means it's more likely to accumulate fine scratches, but also means they're equally easy to remove.

Old 10-25-2008 | 07:30 AM
tomm
Cruiser

don t know if this is true are not but heard harley s clear coat is actually powder clear i work in an automotive paintshop (one of hte big 3) and they use powder primer instead of liquid powder can be reclaimed so there is a limited amount of waste ( they can reclaim up to 98%) i know that hd has toured are facility and to my knowledge they do use powder clear coat hd and bmw autos are the only ones currently useing this technology.

Old 10-25-2008 | 07:31 AM
jamesrgarner
Road Captain

+1 - Trock

Quick Reply: Why Vivid Black????