Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Vivid Black????

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008 | 09:15 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member

I give up, Why?

Old 10-24-2008 | 09:16 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

It seems too me that Harleys paint "quality" leaves something to be desired!

Old 10-24-2008 | 09:23 PM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member

I like Black Harleys when they're sitting and looking sharp. It's like "If I have to explain, You wouldn't understand." Wouldn't own one myself though cuz I like colors. Had White Pearl, Brilliant Silver Pearl and now, read my sig below. *wink*

Ride safe,

Thorey

Old 10-24-2008 | 10:39 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain

It's actually pretty high quality paint and the clear is all the same, regardless of what it's on top of. Ever stripped a Harley tank? That s**t doesn't wrinkle & fall off like most!
Fine scratches develop on all clears (even on Glasurit), straight black just makes them more visible. Why not add metallic? Honda & Toyota tried it (& may still) and it always looks "dusty".
I love my black bike, I've had many different colors but never tire of black. Is it a pain in the **** to keep clean? Yes, so is the black family bus but when clean, and mixed in with the chrome & rubber, it can't be beat.

Old 10-24-2008 | 10:50 PM
hotshot
Tourer

Not sure what the answer is on "better paint" or "clear coat", but when I bought my Ultra, I had the choice of three or four colors.... black was the only choice.... it speaks Harley and you can't argue with Black and Chrome !

I do hate the cleaning .... continual cleaning....... did I mention cleaning....

Black shows everything..... better run, gotta go clean my bike...

Old 10-24-2008 | 10:52 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Monstermile
Ok this is something that has bothered me for years. Obviously black is a very popular color among Harley owners. The fastest color as they say. So why a plain black??? And an inferior paint at that. It scratches and shows swirls alot easier than any other color. I know black in general does. But the Vivid Black gets swirls from a light breeze. Why not a better quality metallic black??? Seems logical doesn't it????
Nope. Sure doesn't. The black has nothing to do with it. It's the clear coat. They should be using a quality, scratch resistant clear coat, especially on the black and other dark colored bikes.

Old 10-24-2008 | 10:56 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member

I've been hoping for a fluorescent black....someday....

Old 10-24-2008 | 11:03 PM
Turkey Lips
Advanced

I heard they were gonna come out with a Light Black for 2010.

I think a dark metallic black would look really good too. Vivid Black is nice if you take care of it. If you don't keep it up nice, the paint winds up lookin' like $#!+.

Old 10-24-2008 | 11:08 PM
jahays32
Tourer

they should paint them like the top of a washing machine. I can take a coin and rub it and it does not leave any scratches. The person that does this first will make a lot of money. Just imagine an HD that does not scratch. You could even let all your friends touch it.

Black has nothing to do with it, all HD clear coats get swirl marks in it. I walked down a whole line of new bikes on the showroom floor they all looked like crap, just swirl marks all over them everywhere, my god did the guy wipe them all down with one dirty rag. I would not have bought any of them.

But the crimson red has the big flakes and that hid the swirl marks the most out of all the colors.

Old 10-24-2008 | 11:19 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Talking

Originally Posted by Monstermile
Ok this is something that has bothered me for years. Obviously black is a very popular color among Harley owners. The fastest color as they say. So why a plain black??? And an inferior paint at that. It scratches and shows swirls alot easier than any other color. I know black in general does. But the Vivid Black gets swirls from a light breeze. Why not a better quality metallic black??? Seems logical doesn't it????
Because Vivid Black is the cheapest color.
Why pay more for something I'm gonna paint over anyway?

Quick Reply: Why Vivid Black????