Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about fueling up

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 01:22 PM
ghostflamed
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
You don't have to be to **** about your paint. Harleys clear is so hard paint stripper hardly makes a dent in it.
I fill mine slowly and by hand.

I certainly wouldn't take that to the bank. I had a $2K custom shop paintjob on my last scoot ('06 Dyna) and a faulty gasket under the center trim. Gas slowly leaking onto the tank ruined the paint TWICE after the MoCo fixed it the first time with another bad gasket! It's just not a good idea to get fuel on your paint, period the end.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:57 PM
jimdeere
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never, ever, ever take your eye off the filler hole. I looked at the pump readout once and smelled gas running over my shoe. $)#*&$#@(&$ pump didn't cut itself off!

Old 10-24-2008, 02:55 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

I didn't read all the replies, but in case it hasn't been said yet, DO NOT sit on the bike while refueling. Put it on the stand and you stand next to it while refueling. Remember there is a hot engine underneath, so any potential spilled gas = rapid fire!. You don't want to be on top of the bike if that were to happen. Plus, if it did, you'd have to just drop the bike and bail off quickly. Not good! Do it safely. Drain the nzzle on the ground before bringing it to your bike and hold it the entire time, keeping contact between the nozzle and the refueling neck of the tank to eliminate static charges.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:47 PM
TRVSDAD
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BAAA' BAAAA' gentle as a lamb when I fill up. Slow and Easy.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:55 PM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Guilty
I have never had any problems with overflow of gas on the tank until I got my 09' CVO Road Glide. It seems that every time I filled up, I spilled gas no matter how careful I tried to be. I finally gave up and bought the Fill-N-Go fuel tank funnel...problem solved. It appears to me that the neck on the 6 gallon tanks is more restricted than previous years with the 5 gallon tanks and when you see the gas getting close to the top of the tank, it is already too late. At first it seemed kind of lame to have to use the Fill-N-Go fuel tank funnel, but I haven't spilled a drop since I started using it. The price for the H-D Fill-N-Go fuel tank funnel is the same price as the McCuff at about $20.00.
Works great. I bought it when I had my 08 and it really worked good. Now with the 03 I don't need it.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:34 PM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Guilty
I have never had any problems with overflow of gas on the tank until I got my 09' CVO Road Glide. It seems that every time I filled up, I spilled gas no matter how careful I tried to be. I finally gave up and bought the Fill-N-Go fuel tank funnel...problem solved. It appears to me that the neck on the 6 gallon tanks is more restricted than previous years with the 5 gallon tanks and when you see the gas getting close to the top of the tank, it is already too late. At first it seemed kind of lame to have to use the Fill-N-Go fuel tank funnel, but I haven't spilled a drop since I started using it. The price for the H-D Fill-N-Go fuel tank funnel is the same price as the McCuff at about $20.00.
I think you're right about about the neck restriction on the 6 gallon tanks. I NEVER spilled gas when I was filling my '06. I spill gas about every third time with the '08, especially when using pumps that have two fill speeds...off and firehose..As far as looking lame using the Fill-N-Go, I really don't give a s#@$ what it looks like, as long as it works! Thanks for the info.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:58 PM
HarleyDawg
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default McCuff Fuel Guard

Looks like this is a good ideal. http://www.mccuff.com/

Old 10-24-2008, 08:42 PM
russl179
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hold the handle and fill until it reaches the bung hole.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Dixiebiker
Intermediate

You all forgot to tell 'em to stand on the left side so the hot exhaust pipe don't burn the leg. I never knew so much technique was required to put gas in a bike. I just hover it over the hole, squeeze easy and stop when it gets full. If it gets on the side of the tank you say "$hit" and wipe it off.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Dixiebiker
Intermediate

Hee Hee Hee..........He said BUNG HOLE

Quick Reply: Question about fueling up