Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about fueling up

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:05 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I watch the fuel as it is going in and once I can see it through the hole in my filler I turn it off. Hate getting gas on my bike. Almost as bad as spraying it all over myself. DSid that a couple of times too. It's extra tricky here in CA as we have emissions control crap on the pump.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:06 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Manually always. And you're no more **** than the rest of us....

Old 10-23-2008, 09:11 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

You guys worry too much. I don't want gas on mine but it happens. A little drop or two of gas every once in awhile won't hurt it. I fill up twice a week every week. I put as little of the tip of the pump handle as I can and go full blast until I see it start to spray a little, then slow down until it clicks.

Ride it like you stole it.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never had any problems with overflow of gas on the tank until I got my 09' CVO Road Glide. It seems that every time I filled up, I spilled gas no matter how careful I tried to be. I finally gave up and bought the Fill-N-Go fuel tank funnel...problem solved. It appears to me that the neck on the 6 gallon tanks is more restricted than previous years with the 5 gallon tanks and when you see the gas getting close to the top of the tank, it is already too late. At first it seemed kind of lame to have to use the Fill-N-Go fuel tank funnel, but I haven't spilled a drop since I started using it. The price for the H-D Fill-N-Go fuel tank funnel is the same price as the McCuff at about $20.00.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:57 AM
geedee
Advanced
Default Never in auto

I put the nozzle in and pull the trigger slowly..glance at the pump to see how many gallons pumped....4 gallon adds up fast...My avg fillup is usually around 4.5 gallons...Haven't spill a drop on my tank yet...

Old 10-24-2008, 10:09 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Everyone I ride with has a smaller tank than my 6gal. so I never fill it to the brim. I know we will be stopping for them before I need fuel.

But I do fill with me at the controls and not on automatic.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:14 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Guilty
I have never had any problems with overflow of gas on the tank until I got my 09' CVO Road Glide. It seems that every time I filled up, I spilled gas no matter how careful I tried to be. I finally gave up and bought the Fill-N-Go fuel tank funnel...problem solved. It appears to me that the neck on the 6 gallon tanks is more restricted than previous years with the 5 gallon tanks and when you see the gas getting close to the top of the tank, it is already too late. At first it seemed kind of lame to have to use the Fill-N-Go fuel tank funnel, but I haven't spilled a drop since I started using it. The price for the H-D Fill-N-Go fuel tank funnel is the same price as the McCuff at about $20.00.
Exactly the same here with my RKC's 5 gallon Gas Tank until my current '09 Ultra. I get real pissy when gas spills all over to the left side of the tank onto the floorboard and drips directly down to the pad. Guess I'll have to take your advice by purchasing the spillproof item from HD.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:21 PM
scg1953
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bluesssman
Wait, do you mean my 07 tank just expanded to six gallons???
I hope so, That would be nice.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:30 PM
scg1953
Tourer

Jiffy stand, always. Get microfiber from saddle bag, remove gas cap & wipe it off, sit it on seat Upside down, get nozzel, DRAIN EXCESS on ground, wrap microfiber around filler, manually feed gas, wipe tank just for fun, replace gas cap, reset odometer. Now the fun begins.... **** ? I don't think so ! Just another guy that loves his bike.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:56 PM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't assume it will cut off by itself, even if you're pulling the trigger manually. I had it splash all over the place at a Hess station.

Quick Reply: Question about fueling up