Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Commander Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008 | 01:31 PM
MyFirstHD
|
Road Master
Default Michelin Commander Feedback

After 12,000 miles the commander is pretty flat in back. What do the crazy's call that, a Chicken Strip? I can feel it roll off the flat spot when I hit sweeping curves on the freeway, (maybe I should blame high speed wobble).

I did a search and haven't found much about tire milage for this tire so I'm guessing it's about average with other brands.

Anyone know if the new Dunlop with dual compound will last longer than 12,000 or 13,000 on the back? Will the new Dunlop fit the '06 EGC?

Anyone else happy with the Michelin and keeping the Commander?

Old 10-23-2008 | 01:40 PM
skooba
Cruiser

I think you have pretty much got to the average tire mileage on an EC. Changed my Dunlops out at about that mileage. No experience as of yet with the Michelins, don't even know of anybody in my club who evens runs them.

Old 10-23-2008 | 02:18 PM
TheShrink
Road Warrior

I think you got "good" mileage. How does the ride and feel compare to Dunlop, if you know.

Old 10-23-2008 | 02:26 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member

I am very happy with the commanders. My rear dunlap was bald at 5,000 miles. The front was like new. I put a pair of commanders on. The better grip was obvious from the time I rolled out of the shop. The bike holds the road much better.

At 10,000 miles the rear tread depth was measured at 6/32". Better grip on the road and better life than the dunlaps for me.

Dennis

Old 10-23-2008 | 03:04 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain

Yeah, that sounds like decent mileage. I got @10k on the factory rear Dunlop on my Roadking. Only 3k on the Avon I had on the chopper but that might be due to it spending a lot of time up in smoke.
Looking for good mileage on my new SG dual compound rear tire, time will tell.

Old 10-23-2008 | 03:52 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

Does anybody know if it comes in a NWS?

Old 10-23-2008 | 04:34 PM
rapz
Road Captain

I've got them on my Ultra and really like them. Imho, they hold better than the stock dunlops. I only have about 3K on them and look good on wear. To me, better grip means softer rubber which means they will wear quicker, but that's okay with me if I have better grip. I usually change out tires between 7-9K at most so getting 12K would be much much more than I expect.

Old 10-23-2008 | 08:53 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MyFirstHD

Anyone know if the new Dunlop with dual compound will last longer than 12,000 or 13,000 on the back? Will the new Dunlop fit the '06 EGC?
regardless of whether it does or not, you can't use it. at least not without some mods to your bike first. first off, that tire is specific to the 09 so it comes in 180 width, you aint getting that shoehorned in there! also, it is specifically made to pair with the 17 inch front tire, something about the tread patterns are made to complement each other.

Old 10-24-2008 | 08:06 AM
MyFirstHD
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by TheShrink
I think you got "good" mileage. How does the ride and feel compare to Dunlop, if you know.
Shrink, love your bike.

I bought the bike used with 5,000 and stock tires. Changed it at 11,000 and that was pushing it.

I think the Commander feels better worn out (getting close to 13,000) than the Dunlop did at 6,000. The Dunlop felt a little squirley in the curves and in the rain. The Commander felt great, and even now with a 4" wide flat spot it feels OK.

Like I said about leaning it over in a high speed curve, I think it's the flat spot throwing me off and that's just dumb of me to let it get this far. Never realized I'd love the bike so much I'd put 18,000 miles on it in 12 months and have to change rubber twice in one season.

Old 10-24-2008 | 09:08 AM
TheShrink
Road Warrior

[QUOTE=MyFirstHD;4029211]Shrink, love your bike.QUOTE]

Thank you Sir, I appreciate it.

I like what I am hearing about the Michelin's. I will probably change to them in the Spring. I was thinking about adding some wide white walls but I don't think Michelin offers that as of yet. I'll be fine with the black sidewall, I have enough bling elsewhere.

I currently have Dunlops on, front & rear and they feel "slick" on sweeping curves and rain. The tar snakes are a nightmare too. I had the same sensation with Dunlops on my Heritage too, so, no more Dunlops for me.

Quick Reply: Michelin Commander Feedback