Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I posted this on the ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Mitt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I posted this on the ...

I posted this on the appropriate forum and haven't gotten any response - I thought you guys being much more friendly (apparently) may be able to help so please moderator or whomever let this fly ...

[posted on Sportster forum] O.K. - Wife is looking to buy a first ride. This nieghbor of mine has a 1998 Sportster 1200 custom in his cellar under a pile of rags.

Bike has 704 miles on it yup - that's right 704 saw it with my own eyes. This bike is virtually NEW, and it looks it, not a mark of anything on it - it looks like a brand new showroom bike - no baloney. It is phenominal!!! (Bought for his wife rode 704 miles and decided it wasn't for her) This guy collects Harley's and he appears to have $$$ so it's been sitting ever since with the occasional oil change and dust-offs.

I know NOTHING about Sportsters so I was looking for some pricing help. The bike comes with the stock seat and a solo seat also a detachable windshield. The bike is black with a chrome scrolled Harley logo plaque on the tank and gold and maroon pinstriping.

He's looking for $6800 which I thought was high - but under the circumstances (low miles) maybe I'm wrong (scrathing head on this one). I'm pretty confident I can get him down to $6500 but probably not anymore than that.

So what do you guys think...???

Thanks for the help... [posted on Sportster forum]

Old 04-02-2006, 09:37 PM
GeezerGlider
Cruiser
Default RE: I posted this on the ...

If it's your wife's first ride, I'd consider finding a cherry 883 instead of the 1200. Easier to learn on. There are plenty available.

Old 04-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member

Assuming it is pristine with those low miles $6500.00 sounds fair to me - A look at at www.kbb.com may or may not make you feel better

Old 04-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Price is not bad. But what your getting is without warrente or latest improvements. IMHO if it was for my wife, I'd let her have all the information and then let her choose!

Some times you have to give in and give up a good deal.

Old 04-02-2006, 10:01 PM
pointswhat
Road Captain

Another thing to look into is if you plan on upgrading to a bigger bike after that starter some dealers offer full value trade in within one year on sportsters bought from them. Just something to look into if you think the wife would be moving up from the sporty.

Old 04-02-2006, 10:08 PM
BladeMan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd pass.

Old 04-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,287 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Frankly I'd look into a smaller lighter brand X for a first bike,Sportys are a bit top heavy and not the easiest bike to learn on.

Old 04-02-2006, 10:42 PM
HogBack
Road Master

Ask your self with a very open mind "Does this bike look like the miles" I looked at one in the same situation, looked at the tires, that had to have 9,000+ and walked away. Look at the wear on the seat, pegs, etc. Also,I am very cautious of bikes and cars that have sat as they have seals that dry out and leak after you start using them... Also on your sportster, do the guages match, look at the speedo cable to see if it looks like it has ever been removed.

HogBack

Old 04-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

If you think this is a good price you gotta be kidding. You can buy a brand new Sportster with warranty for a thousand or two more. Everyone thinks because a bike has low miles it's a good thing. On the contrary, when a bike sits things dry rot etc. I would much rather see a bike of that age with a little more use on it.
My advice, if you are going to spend close to 7G's go the extra distance for a new one.
I would offer no more than 4500.

Old 04-02-2006, 11:23 PM
MDMYMD
Road Captain

What is her riding experience? If none, a cheaper bike, (hate to say it) but you could pick up a good Honda or Yamaha for a grand JUST to learn on. Then she will get a better idea of which bike is right for her. If more experienced, then I would agree with going the extra mile for a new one. The 04's and newer Sportsters are rubber mounted and do not shake like all the previous years. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Quick Reply: I posted this on the ...