Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$390 for 10,000 mile service

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 08:45 AM
jbob
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far age goes, let's just say I could have started collecting social security a while back, but will keep working to help pay for the upcoming political "changes" that seem to be on the horizon. After reading the posts, I have ordered the service manual and will be looking at lifts in the coming weeks. I like the notion of of the 5000 mile self maintenance and the 20,000 dealer checkup.
By getting the perspective of the many contributors, I have renewed my interest in the lubricant options as well as turning some wrenches for enjoyment on a new lift. Many thanks to you all !!!

Old 10-23-2008, 09:39 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

Y'know, it's funny - for years, I'd lay on the floor, etc. while working on the bike(s). Coupla years ago, I looked at the 3-car garage, figgered that the better half COULD park outside, an' bought a lift. She's okay with it, especially since ah buy her a new one every 3 years or so.....<G>

The lift certainly makes things a LOT easier - an' makes fer less hassle, IMO.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:38 AM
mps1168
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just got off the phone with my HD dealer. 10K service for my Ultra is $275, +$30 for full syn plus tax. So about $305. And they are running winter storage deal, spend $500 on anything towards the bike and they store it in heated storage, and prep it for spring for free. Storage runs now until April 1. I think I can find $200 worth of something to add to the bike, especially considering I am close to a rear tire change and have been thinking about adding the ISO to the rear.

mps

Old 10-23-2008, 10:53 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

"Winter Storage"?? What's that?<g,d&rlh>

Old 10-23-2008, 11:18 AM
buckwheat
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys - with all of this talk about going out and buying lifts, torque wrenches and service manuals, you've got me thinking that I too might join the ranks of self-maintainers... But then, reality sets in. If you handed me a wrench, I have a greater than average likelihood of stripping whatever it is I'm wrenching on...

Here's my point: It would be great if there was a "relative way" to determine competence of the would-be junior mechanic by looking at things done it the past.

For example, if you can do "X", then its reasonable to think you could do "Y".

Another example: If you can remove and replace a windshield on a Street Glide, then its reasonable to think you could remove a shift-lever...

The hard part of this leap into "mechanic-hood" for me is this... What is equivalent to changing oil? I have to think that if I had a good mechanically sound buddy with me, I'd be in good shape. Sadly, while all of my friends are good guys, few of them are mechanics and even fewer are MC mechanics...

My final point, just how illustrative and instructive is the service manual. Does it take the place of that "mechanic mind" that I don't have?

I realize this is a really subjective question, but I've not seen it asked before. Asking "how hard is it to DIY a 5000 mile tune-up" is pretty subjective as well if I've never done one...

Old 10-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Indy charges $160.00 using syn3. I prefer Mobil One so it's $100.00 with my oil and filter.
You need to find a good Indy.
Marsh

Old 10-23-2008, 11:33 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

Consider going to the dealer or an Indy and askin' 'em what they'd charge you to "intern" with 'em. They teach you, an' get a helper - many will do that. Failing that, then get the manual, TAKE YOUR TIME, and do a little at a time. Consider doin' the service by the book, then payin' someone to look over what you did and critique it.

Most if it is pretty easy - an' all of us hadta learn, so go for it!

Old 10-23-2008, 10:20 PM
6Clicks
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My attitde is to take it to the dealer and pay the fees. There isn't much on the machine that I'm not capable of doing outside of crank work or the like, but I paid a lot for the bike and I have a warranty. Should the neck bearings seize up or any other problem occur that coulld cause me pain or money, I want to be able to blame the guys that did it. Not me. Have you any idea what lawyers do in court to guys that fix their own stuff and then have an accident? That's why nobody wants to rebuild brake parts; liability. I can't get a receipt that proves that I inspected the steering head bearings and adjusted them properly at the correct intervals. I can't prove that anything was done to the bike. Oil and filter receipts don't prove anything. I've worked too hard for what I've got to risk it all to save what seems at the time like a pretty good handful of bucks. When something bad happens you have nobody to blame but yourself. Be assured that you will be blamed, right or wrong, and the money you saved could be chump change. Sorry for the rant, I just hate to see somebody get into a warranty or lawsuit jam when the risk can be reduced.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:40 PM
pastorralph
Road Captain

Anybody have a recommendation on what service manual to buy, say for an 04 Ultra?

Old 10-23-2008, 10:45 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

Hmmm....interestin' perspective there, 6clicks. Only thing is, there's very little on a m/c that would put ya into that situation. Little ta no way that yer gonna seize a steering bearing THAT dramatically, but ah could see it happenin' on a tire, which is why ah generally let a shop do that an' assume THAT liability issue.

Quick Reply: $390 for 10,000 mile service