Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rush vs Monster Ovals

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 11:15 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

For the look and sound, I'm liking those Monster Ovals on the 09's. Not liking that price too much though... I'd have to do some serious considerin' on that part of the deal....

Old 10-22-2008, 11:24 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghostflamed
Somebody got a quick "laymans" definition of XIED?
On the bikes with the closed-loop feedback EFI (having O2 sensors in the exhaust) you can adjust the target voltage for the O2 sensors, which controls your richness/leanness. You can adjust the values internally with a SERT/SEST/TTS (and maybe Direct Link). You can "adjust" them externally with a voltage-dividing network between the sensors and the bike's computer. This latter is what the XIEDs do. They are one of several versions of plug-in voltage dividing networks, using factory connectors.

I caution against use of the XIEDs because they take the fuel mixture to a level where the sensors cannot operate linearly, thus reliably. The "standard" IEDs are much better.

But neither of them work as well as doing the same thing natively in the bike's computer. Because when you do it natively, you can take into account the extra fuel and program in other areas correctly. With the external method, this cannot be done and it makes a difference. But for fify bucks or so, if you have a perfectly stock bike (no intake or exhaust modifications whatsoever) the standard IEDs are a worthwhile investment while you research your options more thoroughly.

If you've modified the breathing in any way, you really need to address the necessary fueling changes in another manner than any of the IEDs alone. That's not what they're for.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:57 PM
ghostflamed
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glens
On the bikes with the closed-loop feedback EFI (having O2 sensors in the exhaust) you can adjust the target voltage for the O2 sensors, which controls your richness/leanness. You can adjust the values internally with a SERT/SEST/TTS (and maybe Direct Link). You can "adjust" them externally with a voltage-dividing network between the sensors and the bike's computer. This latter is what the XIEDs do. They are one of several versions of plug-in voltage dividing networks, using factory connectors.

I caution against use of the XIEDs because they take the fuel mixture to a level where the sensors cannot operate linearly, thus reliably. The "standard" IEDs are much better.

But neither of them work as well as doing the same thing natively in the bike's computer. Because when you do it natively, you can take into account the extra fuel and program in other areas correctly. With the external method, this cannot be done and it makes a difference. But for fify bucks or so, if you have a perfectly stock bike (no intake or exhaust modifications whatsoever) the standard IEDs are a worthwhile investment while you research your options more thoroughly.

If you've modified the breathing in any way, you really need to address the necessary fueling changes in another manner than any of the IEDs alone. That's not what they're for.
Thanks for this outstanding, informative post! So basically I could use this to richen up my from the factory lean, bone stock machine?

Any danger of harm to the bike in using either the IED's or XIED's?

Old 10-22-2008, 01:25 PM
HD_Maxima
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have Rush (2") mufflers (installed 5/07). I am not real pleased with them! The customer service has been great, but the quality is certainly not there. They have replaced my mufflers twice and I am about to call them again. The packing they use burns out very quickly which is why some believe they sound better, unfortunately you lose power as the packing burns out and you get more of a cackle vs. the rumble sound. The first set of mufflers I installed held up well with the exception of the packing. They sent me new packing which I replaced and was again quite happy. Near the end of last riding season the bike went in for a new tire. When the dealer went to remove the mufflers one of them was cracked (7000 miles). Rush replaced them at no cost (first replacement). The bike was ridden very little over the winter...this spring after only a few hundred miles I noticed the pipes were starting to discolor (the first set did not do this). Again Rush replaced them at no charge and I installed the new set. The new mufflers are again beginning to discolor, so now I am debating whether or not it time to just pony up for something else or continue to watch my pipes discolor.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:44 PM
ghostflamed
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pulled this off the nightrider.com website regarding the IED's and the new '09 touring bikes:

The 2009 FLH's are not compatible with any of the IED family of products. We have not certified the 09 FLH's for any of the IED product line. The ECM software load HD is using in the 09 FLH's is completely different than earlier model FLH's and HD seems to have changed the wiring harness. The results we have seen for these bikes are not to our high standards. If you have an 09 FLH and purchased XiED's please contact us. We will be looking for an 09 specific FLH upgrade in the future, but for now riders will need to explore other upgrade options to alter their fuel mixture.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

One more vote for the Rush 1.75 baffles. Louder then stock but not overwhelming. You can also change the baffles to quieter or louder your preference.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:43 PM
EZ48
Extreme HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by REALBOB
While you're deciding, I have a suggestion. I too could not make up my mind so I chose a temporary fix that I like so much that I will never spend hundred of dollars for an aftermarket pipes/mufflers setup. Everybody said "don't do it; you won't like it" but now they wished they had done the same thing.. That's right, I modified the stock system.

Tools needed: ball peen hammer, center punch, drill & small drill index; no disassembly required.

STEP 1 Using the hammer & punch place 8 to 10 equally spaced dimples in the area between the large & small diameters in the end of the right muffler, the annulus.

STEP 2 Drill about 1/8 inch pilot hole at each dimple.

STEP 3 Drill out each hole with the largest bit available up to about 1/2 inch.

STEP 4 Drill left muffler except only about six holes are needed no larger than 5/16 inch.

After completing this mod and adding the XIED mod (found on this site) I noticed a remarkable increase in torque & hp on my bike; others did too.

The whole job took about 30 minutes. Don't forget the safety glasses while drilling. If you didn't already know it, when a drill bit breaks, it always ends up in three pieces. One piece is always thrown away from the workpiece.

REALBOB 08 FLHTCU
Let's never speak of "drilling an annulus" on this forum ever again. This is a family website.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:12 PM
REALBOB
Advanced

Originally Posted by EZ48
Let's never speak of "drilling an annulus" on this forum ever again. This is a family website.
Now that's funny!

Bob

Old 10-23-2008, 09:37 AM
papa phil
Intermediate

Thanks for all the info. I'll post when I gitter done.

Phil