Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rush vs Monster Ovals

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:03 PM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the monster ovals nice deep tone,but not very loud.I wish i could get a little more volume out of them.Even when you throttle it they seem very steady in the tone but not louder.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:13 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by papa phil
My 08 UC is the first Harley I've owned or ridden. When we bought it in July I knew we were getting a touring bike. The wife wanted a Harley because we never had one before. I'm a former Goldwinger from when Wings were just another jap bike with a windshield and hondaline saddlebags.

I am trying to figure out what exhaust tone I want. I have kicked around monster ovals, rush and fatcats. I dont want anything to loud (remember wings just whoosh) but want the UC to have a hint of the Harleyish sound without covering up the radio, giving me a headache or cause the intercom to break VOX.

What do you all think
Heres a pic of my monster ovals, nice tone and wife and I can hear each other talk at 70 mph

Old 10-21-2008, 08:45 PM
BigBones
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got Rush 2.0's on my Softail and after break in they Sound great but a little loud for the all day cruise. But for hittn the local watering hole cant beat them. I wouldnt go bigger then 1.75 on a bagger.
Now on my Road King I've got the VH Monsters(Chrome) and I think they sound "purr-fect"! Not to loud but when you crack the throttle everyone knows its a Harley.

Looks go to the VH and price goes to the Rush. Either one will get the job done! I just prefer the Monsters on my Bagger for looks and a sound me and the wife can live with on a all day run.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:56 PM
ghostflamed
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Monster Ovals sure look unique and sound good and throaty but shoot, the Rush pipes (with whatever size baffle you end up getting) are basically 1/2 the price! Tough to beat that unless you are a millionaire or something!

Old 10-21-2008, 09:22 PM
acbobber
Cruiser

If you want a good sound...put the Rush on with a 2.0 baffles or go with the 1.75 and take the sock off. Then install a race tuner and get your idle rpm down to around 950. You'll love it and you can do all of this for about the same price as a set of the monster ovals alone. Let us know what you decide. Be sure not to get your idle below 950. The race tuner from HD is pretty cool...you can do alot of things with it.

Last edited by acbobber; 10-21-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:40 PM
REALBOB
Advanced

While you're deciding, I have a suggestion. I too could not make up my mind so I chose a temporary fix that I like so much that I will never spend hundred of dollars for an aftermarket pipes/mufflers setup. Everybody said "don't do it; you won't like it" but now they wished they had done the same thing.. That's right, I modified the stock system.

Tools needed: ball peen hammer, center punch, drill & small drill index; no disassembly required.

STEP 1 Using the hammer & punch place 8 to 10 equally spaced dimples in the area between the large & small diameters in the end of the right muffler, the annulus.

STEP 2 Drill about 1/8 inch pilot hole at each dimple.

STEP 3 Drill out each hole with the largest bit available up to about 1/2 inch.

STEP 4 Drill left muffler except only about six holes are needed no larger than 5/16 inch.

After completing this mod and adding the XIED mod (found on this site) I noticed a remarkable increase in torque & hp on my bike; others did too.

The whole job took about 30 minutes. Don't forget the safety glasses while drilling. If you didn't already know it, when a drill bit breaks, it always ends up in three pieces. One piece is always thrown away from the workpiece.

REALBOB 08 FLHTCU

Old 10-21-2008, 10:32 PM
ghostflamed
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Somebody got a quick "laymans" definition of XIED?

Old 10-21-2008, 10:50 PM
Trek
Tourer

I compared the Monster ovals on a matching Ultra to mine which has the Rush 1.75 slippons. I loved the look of the Monster Ovals, and they have a great sound. I just thought they were a bit too quiet compared to the 1.75 Rush mufflers. Keep in mind that I wrapped the baffles with an aftermarket filler to keep them quieter when twisting hard on the throttle.

I don't know though, I think if I had the extra cash, I would probably go with the Monster Ovals. Hard to be the fit and finish of the Vance and Hines pipe.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Adacas
Cruiser

They're just loud enough you no longer hear 5th whine. Love that deep highway rumble from the MO's.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:13 PM
tslonige
Road Captain

I have had stock, SE, V&H Turndowns, Bassani Reverse Megaphone and now Monster Ovals. I will die with these on my bike. Best mix of bark when you want it and keep the neighbors happy when you need it. Pics of them here.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/members/64090-tslonige-albums.html

Quick Reply: Rush vs Monster Ovals