Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What weight transmission oil is right?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 12:51 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tried most of all gear lubes Amsoil,Belray,HD stuff, I'll stick with Redline shockproof seems to work the best in my bike & don't mind the smell.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:34 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

The OP asked about viscosity. Engine oil and gear oil viscosity NUMBERS are different in an attempt to prevent gear oil being put into engines (some gear oil additives can be harmful to engine parts.) As far as viscosity goes, 20-50 engine oil and 75-140 gear oil are about the same. Since the factory still says 20-50 engine oil in the transmission, then 75-140 gear oil is certainly suitable for the transmission from a viscosity standpoint.

There are very few applications specifying single weight oil anymore. By its nature, a single weight oil will be: 1. Too thick when cold, 2. Too thin when hot, 3. Only just right at some point during warmup, still too thick cold and too thin hot. Modern petroleum engineering has provided excellent multi-viscosity choices for both engines and gear oil uses. The consensus is engine oil for the engine, gear oil for the transmission.

People closer to Red Line products than I am have stated that Red Line V-Twin with Shockproof is identical (except for the container) to Red Line 75-140 with Shockproof gear oil. If you choose Red Line products, buy which ever one is in stock or less expensive on the day you buy.

Your straight 80 weight gear oil will do the job for you but when cold will cost a little fuel economy and will require a bit higher shifting effort until warmed up. If it were my machine, I would get rid of the 80 weight stuff before next summer when the 80 weight will thin out a bit more than the 140 side of a multi viscosity gear lube.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:43 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
The OP asked about viscosity. Engine oil and gear oil viscosity NUMBERS are different in an attempt to prevent gear oil being put into engines (some gear oil additives can be harmful to engine parts.) As far as viscosity goes, 20-50 engine oil and 75-140 gear oil are about the same. Since the factory still says 20-50 engine oil in the transmission, then 75-140 gear oil is certainly suitable for the transmission from a viscosity standpoint.

There are very few applications specifying single weight oil anymore. By its nature, a single weight oil will be: 1. Too thick when cold, 2. Too thin when hot, 3. Only just right at some point during warmup, still too thick cold and too thin hot. Modern petroleum engineering has provided excellent multi-viscosity choices for both engines and gear oil uses. The consensus is engine oil for the engine, gear oil for the transmission.

People closer to Red Line products than I am have stated that Red Line V-Twin with Shockproof is identical (except for the container) to Red Line 75-140 with Shockproof gear oil. If you choose Red Line products, buy which ever one is in stock or less expensive on the day you buy.

Your straight 80 weight gear oil will do the job for you but when cold will cost a little fuel economy and will require a bit higher shifting effort until warmed up. If it were my machine, I would get rid of the 80 weight stuff before next summer when the 80 weight will thin out a bit more than the 140 side of a multi viscosity gear lube.
http://www.redlineoil.com/news_article.aspx?id=49 Redline is calling their V-Twin Trans as a 90wt. SAE Gear oil Viscosity classification for 140 is off the chart for any crankcase oil. 75-90 would be as close as you can get to 20-50 crankcase oil. Looking at my Comparative Viscosity Classifications chart, the V-twin Trans with ShockProof is about equal to 40-60 engine oil, may not be the best choice for the really cold weather riders, but for most of us, is just fine and what I run in my bike.

Last edited by sixguns; 11-17-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:27 PM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm running Red Line V twin shockproof. It works well. I am also using their product in the primary and engine. Good Stuff.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:00 PM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts

same fluid in all 3 holes has to be a compromise somewhere. 3 different lubrication needs. no single fluid can be best in all 3 situations.

I swear by the redline heavy duty with shockproof. smooth as butter and quiet.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:15 PM
stroker23
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My vote is Mobil 1 75/90. Have it an 85 Evo, had it in a 96 Evo, 02 Twinkie, 08 Twinkie and present 09 TriGlide. Recently had reverse gear installed in 09 and Indy swears by Bel Ray products. Spring will part with BelRay and install Mobil 1. Never a problem with Mobil 1 products.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:51 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by wbogley
My indy said to run 75-90 Amsoil. It really runs and shifts good.
^^ I run the same. Quiet and nice shifts.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:15 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 569 Likes on 396 Posts

Google. Bert baker trans oil article

Old 11-18-2014, 02:37 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by wbogley
My indy said to run 75-90 Amsoil. It really runs and shifts good.

Agreed! JR

Old 11-18-2014, 03:46 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by TWIN CAM 96
Tried most of all gear lubes Amsoil,Belray,HD stuff, I'll stick with Redline shockproof seems to work the best in my bike & don't mind the smell.
+1 Tried them all, I like Redline Shockproof. SJ Ron

Quick Reply: What weight transmission oil is right?