Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring preparation

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 11:34 AM
dreamcatcher2007
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touring preparation

Hey All:
I have been on the road for about a month now in the States. I have decided to take the plunge and continue touring for about another six months. For those of you who have experience with long distance touring, especially in South America, what extra parts, tools, etc. should I be bringing along? Any suggestions as to how I should prepare the bike such as installing lowers, GPS, etc? I own a stock 2008 Street Glide and have no desire to do any engine mods at this time. I have put 19k on it since purchasing it in April of this year w/o any problems. I just want to make it is the best prepared Tourer possible.

Thank you for your help!

Old 10-21-2008, 12:20 PM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple things I have really enjoyed Heat Demon heated grips, Factory HD XM module and Stereo upgrade Hog Tunes etc., Zumo 550 Nav system with Blue tooth, Nolan Helmet with blue tooth module and we just installed an HID system for lighting. I've really enjoyed having the XM radio on the bike for long trips. Not sure how your equiped for storage, but a sissy bar and a good rear pack set up like T-Bag acts as storage and a good back rest. Lowers are very nice with a vent set up, works great with climate changes. Fairing vents also work good for deverting air on you. Congrats on being able to take your trip, there was also a book about a guy that did a South American trip like your doing.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:23 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 661 Likes on 411 Posts

Your bike is more than capable. Just change the oil and make sure the air filter is clean. At 19k miles, I'd replace the tires, if you haven't already done so.

Rider preparation is important for an international trip. I've toured South America. Here are some things I learned...

- Check your insurance. Some policies are invalid outside of the U.S. Ask your agent about international coverage.
- Make copies of your drivers license, insurance card and bike registration card in case Customs wants a copy.
- Find an international shipper who can get your bike home in the event of an emergency.
- Carry a valid passport and ensure it will not expire while you're traveling.
- Use a GPS. Ensure the software covers South America, and download HD's dealer directory from HD.com.
- Leave your bike stock; it will be easier to repair in the event of a breakdown.
- Carry a tire repair kit (or spare tubes) and portable 12-volt air compressor.
- Carry a first aid kit.
- Heated grips are nice, but a good pair of leather gauntlets work better and cost less.
- Beware of banditos. Carry 2 wallets, one with a few items and another with your credit cards and majority of cash.
- Do not carry a gun. It is more trouble than it's worth, and you have no Miranda Rights outside of the U.S.
- Read Motorcycle Touring by Dr. Gregory W. Frazier.

Keep us posted on the trip and good luck!

Last edited by Geoff; 10-21-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:52 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

How about a nice trip report upon conclusion. I'll bet you're going to have some great stories to share. Ride safe.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:00 PM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

OK who else is jealous....cya down the road!!!

Old 10-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When going through Mexico keep in mind that the threat level was just increased by the State Department. LOTS of robberies, carjackings, drug gang shootings, etc. Be careful and alert when travelling through Mexico.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:43 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't anything valuable beyond what others have said other than carry a camera and post pics on occasion.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 661 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultraandroadking
When going through Mexico keep in mind that the threat level was just increased by the State Department. LOTS of robberies, carjackings, drug gang shootings, etc. Be careful and alert when travelling through Mexico.
Sounds like East LA!

Old 10-22-2008, 08:33 AM
drbillk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I'd add is an international driver's license. Used to be able to get one from AAA, if you had a valid US license. Not all countries require them; however, better safe than sorry. Think it was only about $10 for a year... well worth it. Also, any country you plan to travel through... I'd make sure I had a visa (if needed) for my intended time there. Easier to do while still in the States then wasting time during a border crossing.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:56 AM
verko
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you need more info or contacts in South America (Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay, Bolivia, Chile, Peru) PM me I can get you in contact with the local HD groups. They are very good hosts to international tourers.

I live in paraguay so let me know when you will get here

Quick Reply: Touring preparation