Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring preparation

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:29 PM
dreamcatcher2007
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks so much for your help!

I appreciate all of your responses. I will be posting a report.

I just picked up some heated gear, (gloves and vest), and some leather-like lower's, which were a cinch to slap on. Thanks again for your suggestions. VERKO: I will take you up on your kind offer and PM you here in a minute..

Ok, break out the violins and Kleenex. This ride to date has been intensely somber yet exhilarating at the same time. I lost my "other mother" about a month ago: the wife, who has declared that she has found "spirituality", filed for Divorce, after 18 years, and I just lost a dental implant, (15k worth of work last year at the Dentist), and the Dentist I hit up today, tells me implants should have never been done and recommended a partial upper denture, 4k out of pocket. No wait, it gets better... to add a little more drama, I quit my gig as the garbage man for society's ills, yesterday, (City Human Services Child Abuse and Neglect Supervisor), after spending 10 years there, and more than 20 total in the field.

In the grand scheme of things, I have been extremely fortunate in my life, so guess I was due for some blues. When skit like this starts rollin, you cant help but think that your kickin out some bad juju and begin askin yourself what your role was in all of it, and what can be learned from it. So here I am, on the greatest scooter in the world, livin and learning, whilst traveling the Americas. I guess the rest of this journey needs to head to the Trip Report section. See you there soon. and thanks again for your responses.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamcatcher2007
I appreciate all of your responses. I will be posting a report.

I just picked up some heated gear, (gloves and vest), and some leather-like lower's, which were a cinch to slap on. Thanks again for your suggestions. VERKO: I will take you up on your kind offer and PM you here in a minute..

Ok, break out the violins and Kleenex. This ride to date has been intensely somber yet exhilarating at the same time. I lost my "other mother" about a month ago: the wife, who has declared that she has found "spirituality", filed for Divorce, after 18 years, and I just lost a dental implant, (15k worth of work last year at the Dentist), and the Dentist I hit up today, tells me implants should have never been done and recommended a partial upper denture, 4k out of pocket. No wait, it gets better... to add a little more drama, I quit my gig as the garbage man for society's ills, yesterday, (City Human Services Child Abuse and Neglect Supervisor), after spending 10 years there, and more than 20 total in the field.

In the grand scheme of things, I have been extremely fortunate in my life, so guess I was due for some blues. When skit like this starts rollin, you cant help but think that your kickin out some bad juju and begin askin yourself what your role was in all of it, and what can be learned from it. So here I am, on the greatest scooter in the world, livin and learning, whilst traveling the Americas. I guess the rest of this journey needs to head to the Trip Report section. See you there soon. and thanks again for your responses.
Wow dude you are an inspiration. Instead of feeling sorry for yourself, you have a great attitude about all of it. Thanks for the great idea, if my wife of 22 years kicks me to the curb I am going to ride a long trip like you!!

Hope you have fun filled safe trip and report back to us on your journey!

Last edited by Hoffy; 10-22-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:08 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you're making lemon aide out of the lemons that have rolled your way. Hope you have a great time, exercise caution and keep us posted.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:33 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Good luck and good riding. You have the right attitude so I don't see how it (the trip) will be anything but good.

I agree with the advice about getting an international drivers license, visas in advance for the countries that you plan on visiting, and make sure you have insurance coverage.

For the bike, have a tool kit, tire plugs and air compressor. Do a complete service before crossing the border and start out with new tires.

There are HD dealerships all over Central and South America so you should be OK for planning and getting future services.

I envy you. Ride safe.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:04 AM
dreamcatcher2007
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default you folks have me hangin on... pathetic huh? :)

please continue to keep in touch. Thank you again for your help.