Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detach Tour Pak

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:53 PM
OldDog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detach Tour Pak

Gents, Put money down on an 09 Classic today. Been driving a 97 RK since she was new. Like to put the detach tour pak stuff on my 09. Any advise...esp storage of the pak when it's off. thx.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:18 PM
lviguy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry about storing it, because once it's on it never comes off. Just my experience.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:26 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on leaving it on. Added a tourpak to my Road Glide and wish I'd gone hard mount. The detachables rattle - even with the custom CNC bushings - and it's real easy to steal the sucker, 'cuz I don't want to padlock it.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:34 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

If you do take it off and want to store it, you can make a homemade storage rack for the wall of your garage.....I believe there are a couple in the DIY section at the top of the page. Or you can buy a rack.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 391 Likes on 220 Posts

I was hoping the detachable TP wouldn't rattle. Darn!

Old 10-20-2008, 11:07 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Mine has been on and off many times in three years and does not rattle. I made a hanger for all my detachable stuff on the wall in the grudge

Old 10-20-2008, 11:58 PM
timmartin
Intermediate

I would like to hear what people have to say about the detachable tour-pack kit. I have heard some people say that it rattles, and some say that it doesn't. That would get very annoying if it did rattle.

Once my tour-pack is off, it will probably stay off exept for long trips once or twice a year.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:37 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by timmartin
I would like to hear what people have to say about the detachable tour-pack kit. I have heard some people say that it rattles, and some say that it doesn't. That would get very annoying if it did rattle.

Once my tour-pack is off, it will probably stay off exept for long trips once or twice a year.
Well, my 05 never rattled

My 07 did (till I made it hard mounted) odd, same hardware as the 05.

My 09 does not rattle, but there IS a slight amount of play in there, so I suspect in time It will rattle as well. (unless I hard mount it)

Old 10-21-2008, 02:49 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If your doing the matching tourpak - Get the locks for the saddlebags & tourpak (there's a few aftermarket selling these for the classic bags)
Detachable is the only way to go - Easy on & off. (and mine doesn't rattle???)
In town strip her down for a outstanding Bar Hopper... On a Trip Out it back on and enjoy the ride..
I have the quick release passenger back rest & luggage rack also...

Old 10-21-2008, 06:55 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

I put on the detatchable hardware just a month ago on my '08 EGC. It doesn't rattle, but as said, if you pull up and down vertically on the back of the tp, there is about a 1/4" play. I have to assume that once those bushings get a little worn, it may rattle a bit. Keep in mind that on your '09, the detatchable hardware is a different kit. I paid less than $300 for the '08, I understand the '09 kit is over $500....not sure it would have been worth it for me for to spend $500 for it. I have a finished basement so I just store the tp down there, where no one goes.

Quick Reply: Detach Tour Pak