Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detach Tour Pak

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

My chopped tour-pack on detachable mount does not rattle, although I too have the 1/4 inch play when it's mounted. What drives me nuts is the rattling of the backrest against the lid - the backrest is mounted on rubber bushings to give the passenger more comfort, and it tends to make a bit of noise when riding solo as the bushings flex.

I find that I rarely remove mine as well, and am considering the permanent mount although I am satisfied with the detachable mount. The tour-pak is so handy, that I find I use it every day and miss it when I take it off.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:31 PM
Andy Engemann
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My detachable tour pak does not rattle.

Andy

Old 10-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Javawave
Tourer

mine is fixed. I had detachable on last bike, one I put it on I only took it off once. They are just very handy I guess.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:45 PM
KBrown53
Road Captain

Aluminum Docking Mounts to Replace the Stock Harley Davidson Plastic Docking Mounts

When you purchase detachable hardware for a Harley Davidson motorcycle such as the detachable tour pak rack, passenger backrest, or luggage rack, you basically get docking mounts that are made of some kind of metal, with a plastic ring. The plastic ring is where the actual metal part of your detachable accessory makes contact with, and secures to the docking mount on the motorcycle.

There is a known bug with Harley Davidson stock docking mounts, the plastic ring that is used on the bushings is known to wear down and break off! This is a known bug. When this happens your detachable tour pak will not fall off, but it will shake, rattle and roll. Not a very good experience when you are in the middle of no where. I have heard of guys who have had to replace the docking mounts (bushings) after every long road trip, or every few thousand miles.

With respect to my bushings, I caused deep scratched on the plastic the very first time I installed the detachable tour pak!

Luckily I have found an after market solution for the stock Harley Davidson bushings that do not have the plastic rings, but are made of solid aluminum and that should last forever. Another innovative gentleman named Bobby got sick and tired of the problem, and designed the solid aluminum bushings. He also makes a great Apple iPod mount for the Harley Davidson as well You can check out his simple website by clicking here now.

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?...ILBOSBILLETHAW Bobby Gilbert gilbos440rt@bellsouth.net

When you get to his website, you will see links on the left for the Bushings and the iPod mount.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:09 PM
chris02324
Tourer

Originally Posted by lviguy
I wouldn't worry about storing it, because once it's on it never comes off. Just my experience.
Mine too, waste of money for me, I wish I had spent the $$$ on other things.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:24 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like mine and it does not rattle when the tour pack is on.