Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detach Tour Pak

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 07:03 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a detachable on my SG and no rattles.
But we only use it when we travel so it is always full of stuff and that might be why it doesn't.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:20 AM
01XLH
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I put the detach kit for the tourpak and passenger backrest on my Glide. I love them. Mine does not rattle. If you decide to do it, make a storage area and rack for it ahead of time.

My one word of caution would be about installing the pack. I find it's better to have the latches set "open" and slowly set the pack on the bike. I think it would be easy to "miss" the posts and scratch the paint.

When I'm not roadtripping, I prefer to have the pack off and the pass. backrest on.
It's like having your cake (SG) and eating it too (EGC).

Good Luck,

Old 10-21-2008, 08:31 AM
Lone Wolf In Canada
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend has an 08 Classic with the detachable and it doesn't rattle after 12 000 kms. I'm waiting a while to see if it does rattle before I invest in one for my 08 Classic. He loves the detachable and we both admit when the beer box is off its a completly different bike to see and ride! He loves it.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:01 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got the detachable Tour Pak. No rattles, no problems. I put the George Anderson relocation kit on mine, and my wife absolutely loves the extra room. So do I. You might consider that when you add the detachable if someone is actually going to ride behind you.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:05 PM
OldDog
Cruiser

many thanks for the experience

Old 10-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by timmartin
I would like to hear what people have to say about the detachable tour-pack kit. I have heard some people say that it rattles, and some say that it doesn't. That would get very annoying if it did rattle.

Once my tour-pack is off, it will probably stay off exept for long trips once or twice a year.
No rattles here. I love the detachable feature. My tourpack is only on when I take a longer trip. I have the backrest also for the rear passenger.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:07 PM
fdshriner
Intermediate
Default detach

have an 08 Ultra and thinking about putting on detach kit also but don't want any rattle. Would anything wear out just putting it on and off without the kit? How much work is involved if I have my antennas took care of?

Old 10-25-2008, 04:40 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,871 Likes on 9,333 Posts

I've had a detachable tour pac with my RG since 06. It might rattle a little bit, but then, the whole bike does??!!!?? Anyway, you can build a simple wall mount rack out of plywood and 2X4s to slide the tour pac on when you're not using it. Just tack some old towel material down on the skids so the tour pac can rest on it without scratching the paint. I mounted my rack high on the wall out of the way so the rider backrest is just 1/2 inch from the garage ceiling. You can devise other hook points on the plywood to hang other stuff for the bike as well.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:45 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can space the front bushing out a bit so that it has a bit of wedge to it (spreads the mount out slightly as you slide it on) takes out a huge amount of slop, mine rattled with the plastic factory bushing till some told me about spacing them out a bit, cured mine of rattles till the plastic wore to the point of having a lot of slop again Replaced them with billet and knock on wood is working good so far!

Old 10-26-2008, 07:21 AM
Heathen
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it rattles try turning the bushing 1/4 turn..sounds like you have a flat spot

Quick Reply: Detach Tour Pak