Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessory Switch Hot with Ignition Off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Accessory Switch Hot with Ignition Off?

I have searched and read about the accessory switch but have not found the answers I was looking for. I am trying to hook up a few LEDs to use as parking lights when the bike is parked with the ignition off and a little added visibility riding at night. I was under the impression that the accessory switch was hot in the on position with the ignition off or on, but that does not seem to be the case.

By bike is an '08 Street Glide with ABS & spots, if that makes a difference . The Owners Manual indicates that the accessory plug is under the left side cover. Under my left side cover there are 2 plugs one of which I believe is the data port. The one that the OM indicates is the accessory plug has only 3 wires going to it. The wire colors don't correspond to the colors in the Service Manual. In addition I have an accessory plug by the battery that is hot in the on position with the ignition on only. The wire colors match what the SM indicates for the accessory plug.

Is there anyway to utilizes the accessory switch to power the LEDs with the ignition off and what the hell is that extra plug under the side cover?

Old 10-20-2008, 02:34 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

The male connector is buried in the bunch of wires and connectors in front of the battery. It has a removable rubber plug on the end. You need the female connector and pins if you want to go that route. The dealer has both.

Yes, the accessory switch only works with the ignition on.

Extra plug is for the security siren.

Last edited by HDV-GLIDE; 10-20-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:41 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The accessory switch works when the ignition switch is in either the "ignition" or "accessory" position.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:48 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyWood
The accessory switch works when the ignition switch is in either the "ignition" or "accessory" position.
Your Right but I think he wants it to be hot while the ignition is turned to off while parked.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:15 PM
tbradley
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Real close to the accessory swith connector is another connector. It is light grey in color and is a hot lead off of the battery. It does not have a switch associated with it, but is hot with the ignition off.

Last edited by tbradley; 10-20-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:04 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you connect accessory plug under the seat for lights you do not have to flip the switch on the dash just turn ing. to accessory. The lower 2 on the accessory plug operates differently than the top 2.
You can always connect to the battery and add a switch.
Jim