Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

unbelievable vibration in fairing

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009 | 08:09 PM
SteveO
Road Master

My 08 Ultra SE3 did the same thing. It's was a fuel management issue. Removed my V&H slash cut mufflers, installed a Powercommander PCV along with my stock SE mufflers and now absoutlely NO vibration, can drive around 1700-1800 and very smooth to redline with lots of low end power, and a lot less noise.

Went through all the motor mount, frame inspection, fairing bracket thing with the dealer, who suggested the fuel issue as a last resort. That was it! Now I can sell my Goldwing!

Steve

Old 10-07-2009 | 08:17 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by ruin66
it seems alot of people have this particular vibration, but noone has come up with a generic solution. my next attempt is to check the torgue on the front motor mount. I've heard if it's to tight, it can cause excess vibration. maybe then a complete motor allignment.
To me this doesnt make any sense because the mount is rubber, Instead of the bolts being too tight, I would agree maybe that the rubber could be shot in the mount and it is vibrating excessively.

Old 10-07-2009 | 08:24 PM
ruin66
Advanced

I was hoping it would be fuel management issue also, so I had my power commander dynoed by a very good indie. still vibrates. the front motor mount issue as I understand it, is if it's to tight, it negates the dampening effect, the extreme example would be going from a rubber mount to a solid mount. the thing is, it's a simple thing to try. nothing else has worked.

Old 10-07-2009 | 11:09 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by pittguy
.......Did anyone file with the NHTSA yet? Its free guys and will make HD answer it somehow.........
I sympathize with the vibration problems, but when did a vibration become a safety issue?

Old 10-08-2009 | 03:37 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dennydp
Check front tire balance/bent or damaged rim.Check fairing brackets

gotta be one of the two, or both!!

Old 10-08-2009 | 04:22 AM
tpb857
Road Master
Veteran: Marine Corp

I had mine at the shop recently for this. My bike was beginning to get the cupping problem on the front tire that the early 09s with the 407 tire got. I got the 408 replacement tire put on. I had them check the motor mounts and they were fine. I should point out that there is no excessive vibration in my handlebars, floorboards, engine guard. I started to notice the excessive vibration after spending a weekend of working on my bike. I put on a complete exhaust, to include true duals, and larger speakers in the fairing. The dealer told me it is all in the fairing, probably from the extra weight of the amp and the speakers. I can't see how the amp would do this since it is mounted directly on top of the head unit. So I took out the 6.5 speakers and put 5.25 back in. This caused a noticeable improvement. I do not think that the larger speakers caused the problem, I just think that they made it more noticeable. I have had my fairing off a number of times. Maybe the fasteners have loosened a bit and the fairing is not on as snug as it should be. I will have that checked next in a couple weeks when I get the 5k checkup.

Old 10-08-2009 | 10:25 AM
TomKennedy
Intermediate

Harley finally came out with a replacement bracket after years of this crap.

Old 10-08-2009 | 11:50 AM
scootertramp
Road Captain

Originally Posted by streetglide007
Mine shakes in any gear or sitting stationary. 1800-2200 rpms it simply buzzes! Can't see out of the mirrors, windscreen blurs like a hummingbirds wings and the shift lever goes into spasms. On the road it makes the highway pegs work their way into the down position, and with my old boots, my feet actually keep working their way off the footboards! How 'bout that for a description! And remember this started 3 weeks ago, it wasn't always this way.
After 22,000 miles you know how a machine feels and believe me it would have come to my attention before now.
The HD rep was fine to deal with, but I just have this feeling that whatever it is it'll come back to bite me after the warranty is gone! I can tell you exactly why HD doesn't want to touch this stuff, I don't even need to use words....."$", plain and simple.
Sure you aren't on an ols softail? Sounds just like my hot rod softy...

Old 10-08-2009 | 04:55 PM
bosco 09
Tourer

after reading all 8 pages there seems to be more SG's with this issue. aren't all the HD FL engines the same, why would one group of models have this problem and not others?

Old 10-08-2009 | 05:14 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by streetglide007
I spoke with the rep yesterday. He agreed that the vibration was "unusual" I told him about having it checked by the other dealer and he said he would call them and discuss their findings.
He called me back after an hour and was disturbed that the first dealer couldn't give him actual specs, or tell him how the dial indicator had been set up. He advised that he would have Laugerman check the crank, both sides, his dime. Not warranty, but customer satisfaction. I'm satisfied with that.
If however they also find things to be normal and this vibration continues I'm afraid the SG will be for sale. I'm sorry, I know you can get a bad machine no matter the make but I don't want the ride/drive anything that I can't/don't trust. Can you say BMW? No I wouldn't wear the funny outfits they tend to suit up in! And that tattoo can be removed! Let's see what happens.
Man, before you run out and buy a Beemer please do a LOT of research on the BMW forums. I was ready to put down a deposit till I did some checking.

Personally, I'll never own one of those bikes. Probably will never buy a new H-D again either.

Wishing you the best of luck with your current bike and with your future decision.

John

Quick Reply: unbelievable vibration in fairing