Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

unbelievable vibration in fairing

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008 | 01:16 AM
ripsflhx
Stage II
Default brackets

If the fairing was not put on square from the factory it will brake the brackets all the time. For all of us SG riders we will notice the vib in the fairing more due to our mirrors built into the fairing.

Old 11-02-2008 | 08:02 AM
streetglide007
Intermediate
Default vibration

I've given up...I have an indie shop with a trusted mechanic and nothing to gain tell me my crank has .017 runout.
I have not one, but two dealers say it's within spec at .006 and had an HD rep out to ride the bike. He noted that there was an unusual vibration...BUT, since it has aftermarket parts on it he could only do so much. HD covered the cost of rechecking the crank.
The mechanic at the second dealer was great and suggested putting the original ECM back on as a test. I had the same idea last week and had the parts sitting on the workbench!
I removed the ThunderMax and oxygen sensors and went back to stock. I didn't realize how good it ran until I went back to factory. Now it vibrates AND it runs hot!
My concern is that IF this problem is actually the crank and IF I have received accurate information from the dealers how many bikes are out there running at the upper limits of factory specs? If I'm whining about.006, it must be absolutely miserable riding a bike that's up around .010!
The only conclusion I have for my problem is that I had a very good crank from the factory, and something moved the slightest little bit, I was spoiled by smoothness and now I'm ticked off at mediocrity. For those of you out there with buzzing touring models, it may be NORMAL but it's not RIGHT!
I'm pulling the engine today and as soon as I can it's on it's way to Darkhorse to make the bottom end proper. I'm gonna miss the end of the season, but I guarantee you I'll make up for it!

Old 11-28-2008 | 06:16 AM
smoknwrenchs
Advanced

the law firm handling my case has handled 6 cases involving excessive vibrations and harley settled out of court all 6 times. this tells me that they know it is a huge problem and they dont want it to go to court because then it is pubic acknowledgement that the problem is there and they would have to stand good for everyone of the bikes. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ by the way all 6 bikes were 06 street glides

Old 11-28-2008 | 02:21 PM
pxs130
Cruiser

hmm... making me reconsider... I'm thinking of getting an 09 SG (note my sig). Has anyone experienced this on the '09's?

Old 11-28-2008 | 03:32 PM
woodysan
Novice
Unhappy 2008 SG vibs.

I wish I hadn't read this blog,just bought a new 08' SG and my mirrors WILL NOT stop buzzing and this bike does NOT like 6th gear. I have been blaming this on low miles,only 1080 miles so far,my 01' Ultra Classic even with S&S heads, cams,pistons, 95" kit,PC 111 and 90 hp-100 ft lbs of torque----ran extreme SMOOTH-NO VIBRATION at all. I"m a little put out that so many of you are having soooo many problems. I can spell BMW very well. This my 21st or 22nd motorcycle (I forgot) and have a reputation for breaking bikes in very well,so this is not an issue. Woody

Old 11-28-2008 | 04:20 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member

I counted last night. This is my eighth harley starting with a 65 pan and a 60 Sporty.

My 09SG was smooth as silk when new... and now with 2400 miles it will put my hands to sleep in 100 miles.

Just..DAMMIT.. I DON'T need this crap in my life.

Later today, I'm going over the bike and check all torque values, but..........

I feel that I will end up doing a bottom end, do a 103, install AMS lifters and see whats what. Might as well do 255 or 258s, too.

I cant remember, but they are in Wisconsin, and saw a video from u-tube that they can weld the pins on the crank and get a good crank runout down to .001.

What I wish to do??? Send engine to Darkhorse and get the damn thing back right, but I don't have enough dough for that and will have to do all this myself.

Anybody have a taper crank available yet? for TC?

Last edited by wurk_truk; 11-28-2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: pissed
Old 11-28-2008 | 06:06 PM
bostonjim
Intermediate

I am also starting to reconsider my thoughts of an 09 SG. It was either an SG or an EGS. Both using the same engine, I can not see where it won't happen in an EGS. I will have to keep an eye on this thread for any new in put. Thanks guys.

Jim

Old 11-29-2008 | 01:35 PM
ruin66
Advanced
Default vibration on 'lectra glides

I've got an 06 egc that was smooth as silk for the first 10000 miles or so. now it to has the dreaded 1500- 2000 rpm vibration. I see it most in the fairing, and feel it on my freeway pegs. don't feel it in the handle bars at all. what gets me is, with all the folks complaining about it, has no-one figured out a solution to at least the symtoms. I can live with the fact there is something minor hinky with the engine. doesn't seem to affect the performance, reliablity, etc of the engine. just please, someone figure out how to mitigate the shake. I'm gonna try to rubber mount the top of the main center fairing mount. that seems to be where I get most of my shake.

Old 10-07-2009 | 11:43 AM
tpb857
Road Master
Veteran: Marine Corp

Anybody ever figure out what was causing this vibration? My 09 SG gets it between 1800 and 2200 rpms. I'm in this range alot around town. It's not real bad, but I'm concerned about it getting worse. I only have around 4,000 miles on the bike. Thanks.

Old 10-07-2009 | 08:00 PM
ruin66
Advanced

it seems alot of people have this particular vibration, but noone has come up with a generic solution. my next attempt is to check the torgue on the front motor mount. I've heard if it's to tight, it can cause excess vibration. maybe then a complete motor allignment.

Quick Reply: unbelievable vibration in fairing