Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

unbelievable vibration in fairing

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008 | 01:12 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by pittguy
I have seen that Youtube video before and unfortunately, that is spreading some bad information. The one showing run-out on pinion end in cases is correct, but you can NOT check an 07' and up crank on centers like the other video.
Straight outta Hobans.
Can you give me more information and direct me to a web site that can? I believe the 2nd video was showing how the flywheel shifted.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by sifularson; 10-28-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-28-2008 | 03:14 PM
hotrodsandharleys73
Road Master

Does this seem to be a problem only on the Street Glides? i have been having the same issue with my 2001 FLHT. I know the fairing brackets are a problem but I would think that is a symptom not the problem. I have installed a Velva Ride front mount and the bike is very smooth at idle but still have the vibration at 1600-2200. 15K on the bike and been having the problem for around 2200 miles roughly. I did do a major redo of my bike this winter but the only change I made that would affect performance was the exhaust. I changed to stock headpipes with SE slip ons from V&H long shots to change the look, vibration is lessened after Rinehart true duals but not gone. Could it be ignition related?

Old 10-29-2008 | 03:24 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Those of you with different exh,check the fit,check for tightness,check the rear rubber isolators beneath bags.Check the brake pedal for touching exh.Step on brake while bike is idling,does the vibration cease? check exh for hitting primary,or at tranny on rh side.You may have a sour plug or ignition wire,bad 02 sensor,exh leak before sensor.Cylinder timing may need adjusted if running aftermarket tuner.What about compression test?Bad gas is common in some areas.Drain the fuel and try another brand.Try the easy stuff first,check for any codes.If the tune is causing it a dyno should show signs of it.

Old 10-29-2008 | 04:59 PM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master

They changed the motor mount on my 06 UC and the vibration was real bad. They had the rear exhaust bracked toughing the frame. I could hardly keep my hands on the Hbars. The adjusted it and fixed the problem except the increased vibration that the new mounts put out. I have a simular problem at rpm at 2200 to 2500 on my 09 UC. The crash bars vibrate real bad and loosen up my highway pegs. This is new after I got back from Daytona. I think I need to figure out a better upper crash bar bracket.

Old 10-30-2008 | 07:14 AM
smoknwrenchs
Advanced

Pittguy, Im a wrench, have built harleys most my life. The easy solutions were checked first. Im not going to have to tear this bike down and fix it myself Harley built this crap and they are going to fix it. I have all my work orders stating the vibration problems and the mechanics even state that after working on it there is still a vibration issue. My shovelhead stroker vibrates less than my streetglide(more dependable too) I have a law firm that deals with lemons and they have a very good track record taking the case. I'm taking this all the way, harley needs to admit when they design something poorly and not stick the people who made them what they are. Its companys that treat people like them that give the term made in america a bad name

Old 10-31-2008 | 08:29 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

A report on my 1800rpm fairing vibration:
Most fairings have a harmonic vibration somewhere between 1700 and 2100. Mine vibrates more at 1800 than any other rpm.
I was getting a buzzing sound from the right side of my fairing at 1800rpms. I originally took the fairing off to inspect but couldn't find anything that would cause the buzz. I took it to the dealer and they looked it over for an hour or so and determined that it was the right speaker. I didn't beleive them since my speaker played fine and was very secure but I figured it may be a good excuse to upgrade the speakers.
Today I installed Hogtune speakers and installed Dynamat on the inside of my outer fairing. Would you beleive the dealer was right! No more buzz and the tunes sound great. Of course my fairing still vibrates when I pass through 1800rpms but at least it does it quietly!

Old 10-31-2008 | 09:23 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by smoknwrenchs
Pittguy, Im a wrench, have built harleys most my life. The easy solutions were checked first. Im not going to have to tear this bike down and fix it myself Harley built this crap and they are going to fix it. I have all my work orders stating the vibration problems and the mechanics even state that after working on it there is still a vibration issue. My shovelhead stroker vibrates less than my streetglide(more dependable too) I have a law firm that deals with lemons and they have a very good track record taking the case. I'm taking this all the way, harley needs to admit when they design something poorly and not stick the people who made them what they are. Its companys that treat people like them that give the term made in america a bad name
Please keep us all up to speed during the process. The little guy fighting the big corp. is always tough. You sound like you're up to the fight. Go get em.

Steve

Old 10-31-2008 | 10:07 PM
ripsflhx
Stage II
Default fairing brackets

I have an 06 SG and I hve replaced my fairing brackets 3 times. those brackets are the most jacked up design by hd i have ever seen.

Old 10-31-2008 | 11:21 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member

I just replaced one of my brackets today as well. You would think Harley would correct this problem. If someone came up with new brackets that did not break, I would be first in line.

Old 11-01-2008 | 03:38 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Are the 09s the same p/n?? Maybe HD already addressed this. Beefing up the stockers may only put the stress on a much costlier part.

Quick Reply: unbelievable vibration in fairing