Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

unbelievable vibration in fairing

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008 | 04:38 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by smoknwrenchs
up date.... Just got off the phone with customer service, was told that they were warned about me. I was told that my bike was fine that the vibration problem was normal. when i told them that i was told that the flywheels were out of balance they told me i could have them replaced but only at my own expense. basically told me i was a trouble maker when i said that the forums were full of people with the same problem being treated the same way. Why would Harley redesign the streetglide in 08 and 09 if they didnt think there was problems with the 06 and 07 bikes. My only recorse is to go for wisc. lemon law. IM NOT GIVING UP i paid way to much money for this harley crap. What happened to quality made in america? I have always swore by harley and now they are making me eat my words, their product let me down. Any one else getting the shaft by harley with their streetglides?
1. I may have missed it, but who told you your "flywheels were out of balance"?

2. I may not be reading the same forums, but I haven't seen many, in fact very few, posts about a serious vibration problem on '07 bikes, other than the IDS fix that some felt necessary to address.

3. And I don't think the '06 SG has any vibration issues; at least I haven't seen them here.

Sorry to hear about any problems with your bike and I hope you get them resolved to your satisfaction.

Old 10-27-2008 | 05:06 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

I believe an Indy did his runout check. My question is why C/S wont allow it to be checked by one of their people? Knowing how many there have been is tough since those that claimed to have it wont document it anywhere where a true number can be figured out. This action along with the newer runout specs just work in HDs favor on ignoring the issue.

Old 10-27-2008 | 05:22 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

What does everyone think about these 2 videos?

96" runout

Part 2

Old 10-27-2008 | 06:53 PM
smoknwrenchs
Advanced

hd mechanic did my run out said was in spec but the same mechanic said he has seen lots of the 06 street glides with the same problem. As a matter of fact one of the other mechanics in the same hd shop told me his son has a 06 streetglide that he is trading off because of excessive vibration problems. Harleypingman how can you say that there is no problem with the 06 streetglide. open your eyes the forums are full of discussions on them everything from broken motor mounts, skipping cds, to broken fairing mounts all caused by excessive vibrations. All you have to do is start talking to the owners that you see they all have stories at least all the guys i run into. also my bike has had no mods....factory junk. Ive been doing some asking around and everyone that i talk to has had the run around from harley, harley will replace the fairing mounts a couple of times, then you are on your own. the only reason they replaced the mounts is because thats a whole lot cheaper than fixing the real problem

Old 10-27-2008 | 07:09 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by pittguy
I believe an Indy did his runout check. My question is why C/S wont allow it to be checked by one of their people? Knowing how many there have been is tough since those that claimed to have it wont document it anywhere where a true number can be figured out. This action along with the newer runout specs just work in HDs favor on ignoring the issue.
What is the runout spec? I know they raised the end play spec. I haven't heard about runout. I believe excessive end play can wipe out the oil pump but that is a completely different issue than runout and flywheel shifting.

Am I wrong?

Last edited by sifularson; 10-27-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-27-2008 | 08:38 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by smoknwrenchs
hd mechanic did my run out said was in spec but the same mechanic said he has seen lots of the 06 street glides with the same problem. As a matter of fact one of the other mechanics in the same hd shop told me his son has a 06 streetglide that he is trading off because of excessive vibration problems. Harleypingman how can you say that there is no problem with the 06 streetglide. open your eyes the forums are full of discussions on them everything from broken motor mounts, skipping cds, to broken fairing mounts all caused by excessive vibrations. All you have to do is start talking to the owners that you see they all have stories at least all the guys i run into. also my bike has had no mods....factory junk. Ive been doing some asking around and everyone that i talk to has had the run around from harley, harley will replace the fairing mounts a couple of times, then you are on your own. the only reason they replaced the mounts is because thats a whole lot cheaper than fixing the real problem
Okay, I now understand your view. Good luck.

Old 10-27-2008 | 09:59 PM
Rain
Tourer

Seems like most with this issue have 07 bikes based on this thread.

Pardon my ignorance but isn't that the first year of the stock 96" inch motor? I used to wrench in in the truck then auto industry. First year models were almost always problematic.

If you guys keep it up maybe they'll acknowledge the issue. You know they know it's there by now if it's machining or design flaw causing the problem.

Old 10-27-2008 | 11:32 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
Went to another dealer today and told them of the vibration at 1800 rpms on the right side of my fairing and of course he said thats normal all harleys have this vibration anywhere between 1700 and 2200. I hen said if it's normal, how come it just started a month ago?
It's not normal, as my '07 SG is smooth as silk except at idle, but that's normal. In fact, the last time I rode it (Saturday) it had two broken fairing brackets and still was smooth at the RPMs you're describing. I fixed the broken mounts today and wrote it up here earlier today.

Old 10-28-2008 | 04:49 AM
streetglide007
Intermediate
Default vibration

My bikes been at the dealer for a week and 3 days. The HD rep was out last Thurs. and O.K.ed this dealer to check the crank again. I didn't trust the first one. They called me Monday morning about 9:45 and advised that the bike was ready. They couldn't get to it on Friday, I don't think they would have worked on it on Saturday, (It was a rainy ugly day, so I can't say they didn't) and 9:45 Monday sure didn't give much time...I'm worried.
I think I'm gonna' go up there and pick up the same buzzing p.o.s. I delivered! I'll keep you informed.

Old 10-28-2008 | 12:51 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

I have seen that Youtube video before and unfortunately, that is spreading some bad information. The one showing run-out on pinion end in cases is correct, but you can NOT check an 07' and up crank on centers like the other video.
Straight outta Hobans.

Quick Reply: unbelievable vibration in fairing