Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

unbelievable vibration in fairing

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008 | 11:16 PM
continentaldrifter
|
Tourer

The vibration started slowly and has been increasing ever since it started. It WILL however smooth out at 3200rpm, which is fine but for running through town and light to light is pissin me off beyond the limits.

Would crank run-out smooth out at a higher rpm?

As for wheelies and burnouts, naw..... but dropping into 4th @ 65 or 70 isnt uncommon, but rolling smooth on the wick. I was brought up in engines also and was always taught "Its not how fast you go,....... but how fast you get there, is where the excessive abuse comes in". I bought this bike brand new and broken in correctly, this vibration has even caused the harness to rub through the wire loom and kept blowing fuses out on my radio. THATS when i started paying closer attention to the subject.

It suprises me as to how many other bikes are suffering from the same. This is not the typical rigid frame/stroked shovel vibration. It is targeted in this particular rpm range. Dealer told me this was harmonics of the drivetrain..........If i didnt ride similar bikes to compare to, this might be the case, but there is something else going on here.

Old 10-22-2008 | 04:08 AM
streetglide007
Intermediate
Default vibration

Yeah, it would change at different rpm's. Mines the same, keep it up around 3 grand and it's not bad.
Like I've said the dealer told me the vibration was normal! The bikes got 22,000 miles on it! I think I know what normal is at this point! His version of normal started the other Wednesday plain and simple!
If downshifting to accelerate is considered engine abuse, then I guess I'll have to give up driving manual shift vehicles! Thanks for the info, Greg

Old 10-22-2008 | 04:44 AM
Slope
Road Captain

In my case, the vibrations seemed to come on in spurts over time, getting progressively worse. At first I thought it was excessive buffeting since we have been having some windy days lately. I would feel the vibrations via the handle bars to the point where it made my eyes vibrate (that really sucks). I took the front fairing apart, checked all the brackets, and the only thing I noticed was the windshield seemed a bit loose when I put everything back together (you could hold it from the top and move it back and forth about 1/2 inch. I bought some 3M weather stripping and put it on the inside across the top of the fairing. That resulted in a nicely snug windshield (no more movement). The vibrations got a little less, but are still there. In happens mostly in lower RPMS with the clutch engaged (regardless of gear), and settle out if I pull the clutch in or accelerate. It gets really bad when down shifting to a stop.

Old 10-22-2008 | 04:44 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member

Keep us posted...

Old 10-22-2008 | 08:37 AM
streetglide007
Intermediate
Default vibration

Slope, that doesn't sound exactly like mine. My fairing brackets broke and the fairing was doing a dance at idle. At speed a rubber mount should be smooth. With the stock shorty windscreen at high speeds the wind would buffet my head so violently my vision would blur,that WAS a problem.
This is definitely reciprocating mass related. There's not much in there spinning at that speed that could cause this shake...crank and clutch basket. Clutch feels fine and is as smooth as ever, that leaves in my opinion one part. We'll see what the rep says tomorrow.

Old 10-24-2008 | 04:55 AM
streetglide007
Intermediate
Default vibration

I spoke with the rep yesterday. He agreed that the vibration was "unusual" I told him about having it checked by the other dealer and he said he would call them and discuss their findings.
He called me back after an hour and was disturbed that the first dealer couldn't give him actual specs, or tell him how the dial indicator had been set up. He advised that he would have Laugerman check the crank, both sides, his dime. Not warranty, but customer satisfaction. I'm satisfied with that.
If however they also find things to be normal and this vibration continues I'm afraid the SG will be for sale. I'm sorry, I know you can get a bad machine no matter the make but I don't want the ride/drive anything that I can't/don't trust. Can you say BMW? No I wouldn't wear the funny outfits they tend to suit up in! And that tattoo can be removed! Let's see what happens.

Old 10-24-2008 | 06:22 AM
smoknwrenchs
Advanced
Default shakn streetglide blues

for all you streetglide owners with the vibration problem, dont give up keep bugging H.D. They know there is a problem and they are giving us the shaft. My 06 has been in the shop so much that i think they see it more than i do. I have had fairing mounts replaced 7 times, motor mounts replaced twice, motor realigned twice plus motor torn into 3 times. shops admit there is excessive vibration. Even had one H.D. shop manager say he believes that it is the flywheels. He thinks that the sides are different weights but harley corp wont let him replace them. So im stuck with a bike that vibrates so bad parts are coming loose everywhere on the bike. I have dealt with dist. rep did no good now im going thru customer service again to try to get something done. IM NOT GIVING UP I paid way to much for this peice of crap to be stuck with it . BY the way when i asked what i should do with a bike that shook itself apart their reply was trade it in on a new one. Lets keep this thread going. We need to do something about harley not standing behind their over priced junk. Makes me want to buy a Victory, at least their bikes hold together

Old 10-24-2008 | 07:55 AM
SeniorCitizen
6th Gear

My 06 SG had vibration in fairing. Turned out to be broken speaker frame. Service manager said it was a first for him.

Old 10-24-2008 | 04:14 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

Went to another dealer today and told them of the vibration at 1800 rpms on the right side of my fairing and of course he said thats normal all harleys have this vibration anywhere between 1700 and 2200. I hen said if it's normal, how come it just started a month ago?
The first dealer told me it was the right speaker but I don't agree since it plays fine and the vibration is only at 1800rpms.
I think at this point, for lack of any thing better I'm going to remove the right speaker for the heck of it to see what happens. Got nothing to loose but time.

Old 10-24-2008 | 11:34 PM
drcarter0734
Intermediate

When you guys are stating RPM's what gear are you in? How fast are you going? Is it on up throttle on down? Every gear responds diffenently at speeds....

Quick Reply: unbelievable vibration in fairing