Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

unbelievable vibration in fairing

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008 | 07:37 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master

My brackets looked fine until I unbolted them, the cracks may be hard to see. Pop the outer fairing off and loosen the brackets to get a good look at them.

Old 10-20-2008 | 08:22 PM
Slope
Road Captain

I just recently started getting the same excessive vibrations, around the same rpm range. When it starts, pull in the clutch and it goes away. I have not taken it to the dealer, but I removed the outer fairing and checked all the brackets, they are fine. I am at a loss too. Will try the dealer next.

Old 10-20-2008 | 11:46 PM
continentaldrifter
|
Tourer

i can say the brackets didnt look cracked, but havent removed the bolt, good posibility

as for the tires, vibration at that rpm range was there with the old tires, changed them out 1000 miles ago and still getting progressively worse.

I looked under the bike right along side the mechanic and saw nothing out of the norm.

What about alignment??......anybody have this done??
Of the 19,000 miles on the bike and pulling a trailer behind it for little over 12,000, think that could've started something??thanks for the replies!!

Old 10-21-2008 | 08:05 AM
streetglide007
Intermediate
Default Vibration

Guys, I've got the exact issue! The bike's got 22,000 miles now, and about 40 days left on the factory warranty. The fairing brackets, mains and the left speaker bracket have already been repaired. I took my vacation in Myrtle and put almost 1000 miles on the bike and it was fine. Got home on Sunday, rode to Baltimore to work on Wednesday, down shifted to pass a car on the JFX coming home and all hell broke loose. Between 1800 and 2200 rpm's there's no chance of using the rearviews and the windshield and shifter vibrate so hard they buzz, the highway pegs even vibrate into the down position!
I took it to a trusted independent who took off the primary and checked things advising that the crank runout was severe. He told me That I'd have to take it to a dealer for warranty repair. I did...they told me there was nothing wrong. I started the bike in their service area, let the oil pressure come up and then revved it up to 2000 rpms, it buzzed like a weedeater. I asked "If it's alright ,what's that?" the service advisor told me it was normal!!! I told him it had only been normal since Wednesday!!
I loaded the bike on the trailer and took it to another dealer. A Harley rep is coming in this Wednesday. Keep me informed, I'll do likewise. Greg

Old 10-21-2008 | 09:00 AM
streetglide007
Intermediate
Default vibration

BTW when my fairing brackets were broken, the shake was only a problem at idle. As with any rubber mount once the rpm's came up things smoothed right out. This 1800-2200 rpm thing is totally new and rears it head whether sitting still with the throttle cracked open or cruising at those speeds, it's nasty!

Old 10-21-2008 | 06:34 PM
streetglide007
Intermediate
Default vibration

Hey Continentaldrifter and Slope, Give some details about this vibration. Was everything smooth and it happened all of a sudden? Did you do anything wild, (burnout pit, pullin' wheelies, towing dual axle dumps) or did it just show up? I for one down shifted into 4th at about 45 mph and rolled on the throttle when going around a car. I can think of only one specific part of this machine that would cause a vibration of this magnitude and at the frequency that it occurs. The crankshaft. I'm very mechanical, I've been a gearhead since I could hold a wrench. If ANY machine I owned started to shake like this, I'd be pulling an oil pan in short order to find out why. But I can't say I've ever had any machine of any make do this before!

Old 10-21-2008 | 07:04 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member

I thought it might be brackets, but you guys seem to have a different problem.

Let us know what it turns out to be,.

Last edited by oldhippie; 10-21-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-21-2008 | 07:45 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

I have the same exact problem. My fairing on the right side vibrates betwiin 1800 and 2000rpm's. I had it to the dealer and the mechanic spent over an hour trying to track the cause. His final analysis was that I had a bad right speaker. I told him total BS! Needless to say I still have the problem. I have 16K on the odometer and the problem occured about 700 miles ago.
I have also noticed more vibration in my floorboards and highway pegs that don't smooth out tillabout 3000rpm's. Don't know if that's related but I have a feeling it is.

Old 10-21-2008 | 08:39 PM
ruin66
Advanced
Default vibration

please, please, please keep us informed if you find out anything. I have the same prob. seemed to show up without warning. all of my brackets are good. I've checked about 5 times. vibration in the fairing about 1500-2000 rpms, under any conditions, and a slight buzz in the freeway pegs under very slight acelleration. driving me crazy.

Old 10-21-2008 | 09:09 PM
Ghosty
Tourer

I have a similar vibration at 2000 rpm's. It vibrates at 2K when going up in rpm's and when coming back down. Very narrow rpm band where it vibrates. It has done this since I bought the bike and hasn't caused any problems so far. I've only been able to put about 2500 mi. on it since I got it. When taking off from a stop the vibration isn't very noticeable. It's only really bad when cruising at 2K rpm. Nothing appears to be loose and the bike runs like a scalded cat so I've been ignoring the vibs. Maybe not such a good idea.

Quick Reply: unbelievable vibration in fairing