Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Zumo or Tomtom??

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 11:24 AM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Garmin Zumo or Tomtom??

Wanting to get a GPS. I am looking at Garmin Zumo's and the Tomtom's. For those that have had these - wanting your advice.... I do NOT need bluetooth or Voice street names. I have used a Garmin Nuvi (borrowed) on a recent 3500 mile trip, so I understand the Garmin a little... I found the 450 Zumo at a killer price of $349 - Costco. I would need to get the car mount as an extra. Want to be able to go between the car and bike.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:22 PM
turn8a
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by harley0711
Wanting to get a GPS. I am looking at Garmin Zumo's and the Tomtom's. For those that have had these - wanting your advice.... I do NOT need bluetooth or Voice street names. I have used a Garmin Nuvi (borrowed) on a recent 3500 mile trip, so I understand the Garmin a little... I found the 450 Zumo at a killer price of $349 - Costco. I would need to get the car mount as an extra. Want to be able to go between the car and bike.
Can't help you with zumo or tomtom ...but I got a free nuvi 200 for opening up a discover card (there were no strings attached) here is the link
the price was right !!
www.mygpsoffer.com

I recieved mine a couple of weeks ago and it was the nuvi 200 now the add shows 270 .

Last edited by turn8a; 10-19-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:42 PM
HoggerCom
Intermediate

Get the Zumo 550. Comes with the car mount AND the bike mount, and all necessary wiring. I think the car mount alone is about 120 bucks, if you buy it seperate..

I have the 550, and I love it.

You may not think the bluetooth feature is not needed now.. but I'll tell ya, it's pretty neat seeing when a call comes in displayed on the GPS screen with the callers info. That's especially good if you're expecting an important call, while going for a ride and you might not hear or feel the phone in your pocket.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:44 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Can't speak for the Tomtom. I have a Zumo 450 and have no complaints.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:49 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by HoggerCom
Get the Zumo 550. Comes with the car mount AND the bike mount, and all necessary wiring. I think the car mount alone is about 120 bucks, if you buy it seperate..

You may not think the bluetooth feature is not needed now.. but I'll tell ya, it's pretty neat seeing when a call comes in displayed on the GPS screen with the callers info. That's especially good if you're expecting an important call, while going for a ride and you might not hear or feel the phone in your pocket.
+1....

Old 10-19-2008, 01:12 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by HoggerCom

I do thank you for your time and advice - I have found both the mount and cig plug for under $100 - here is just one link.. http://www.onsale.com/shop/detail.as...wt.mc_id=BWBCJ

As far as the Blue tooth - I know there are a lot of poeple out there that can not live without their cell phones - Iam NOT one of them... I do NOT want to be bothered by a cell call when I am on the bike... Actually, when adding up the price of the parts I need and the costco price of the 450 - The 550 would have to be under $571 total.... Still I think that may happen before the end of the year...

Old 10-19-2008, 01:16 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by turn8a
Can't help you with zumo or tomtom ...but I got a free nuvi 200 for opening up a discover card (there were no strings attached) here is the link
the price was right !!
www.mygpsoffer.com

I recieved mine a couple of weeks ago and it was the nuvi 200 now the add shows 270 .

Check your PM....

Old 10-19-2008, 03:20 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

just found a website that will sell both car mount and cig adapt for $80 shipped... this with the Costco price on the 450 of 371 total makes a grand total of $451 - gives me everthing a 550 has except for the blue tooth and the talking street names - both NOT needed by me... and since I have posted this question = Turn8A has shown me how to get a FREE Garmin 270 - not bad for one day here.... Thanks to all

Old 10-19-2008, 03:26 PM
jrken1
Advanced
Default Got the TOMTOM

I have the TomTom myself. No complaints and you can find the motorcycle mount on EBay
for around 20 bucks.............. GL

Old 10-19-2008, 03:34 PM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

That's where I was at and decided on the Zumo 550. I really wanted the TomTom but I bought the Zumo for the exact reasons that you said you don't care about. The blue tooth is amazing! With a Cardo Scala Q2 headset I get caller ID and can access my cell phone"s address book through the Zumo. Not a big deal on a trip but I use my bike for work and it's great. I also like the text ot speak (street names), it makes it easier to find the next turn. The Zumo also comes with the car mount which will come in handy this winter when the bike has to get parked.
You won't go wrong with the TomTom but the Zumo has more features that you may find that you will use.

Quick Reply: Garmin Zumo or Tomtom??