Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Zumo or Tomtom??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 06:13 PM
devo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot believe the techno-geek I have become ... honestly! I never thought I'd ever let go my apehangers, bared bones bikes. But here I sit now behind my windshield, with hard panniers, topbox etc with a bloody Tomtom bluetoothed up to my phone with 2 Scala headsets all hooked up and ABSOLUTLEY LOVING IT.

Voice direction is superb, as mentioned earlier, you don't have to watch the screen, just listen. Here in beautiful downtown Australia, the maps work fine and I don't believe the updates for the maps are too expensive

I don't get lost anymore, except when I want to ... and I do enjoy being lost sometimes hahaha .... part of the adventure. But when I really wanna know how to get there, just turn on my Tim Tam

Oh yeah, I renamed mine to Tim Tam because when I first got it, all I could hear was that stupid song 'tom tom turnaround, don't ever let me down' .... that's the only negative I could come up with ... so the little missus sat down for a day and reprogrammed the thing with a Harley welcome screen ( complete with a picture of some Tim Tams) and did some amazing filthy XXX rated voice-overs for the directions. We cacked ourselves, had a great time and I can hear her voice now still telling me where to go!!!

I got the whole set at once, bike mounting kit, car mounting kit, and the headsets. Easy instal on the whole lot and with the car kit being so easy to cart around, it comes in handy in rentals as well. The only reason I got the whole lot at once is because one of my sons works for a computer mob and I could pay it off. I think all up it was $1150 or thereabouts for the Rider2 and everything. That's Australian dollars folks, which works out at about US $0.50

Never thought I'd see the day hahaha

Old 10-26-2008, 08:51 AM
kpb46
Road Master

Originally Posted by roseroid
I.m sure all the models have good bad features!! Be sure the one you chose is built for bikes. the Zumo 450 that I have had 3years now is not Bluetooth, but does call out turns. Most important is that it is vibration tested and screen adjusts to light outside. It is also waterproof!! All models do not work well on bikes..
"Does not call out turns" ?????????????????

Old 10-31-2008, 12:32 AM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by omega5m14
I have a Garmin and would never recommend it to anyone. Reason; I ordered the new
2008 Map CD and installed it. Now my Garmin couldn't find my *** with a road map.
I emailed Garmin repeatedly asking for a fix or a way to uninstall the 2008 mapping.
Finally, after threatening to flame their *** on every GPS forum known to man, they
emailed me back and suggested I buy the 2009 mapping CD (another $80 bucks) when
it comes out and that might resolve the issue.
My Garmin is nothing but an expensive paper weight now. It was a good unit when I
bought it but installing the updated maps ruined it and Garmins Customer Service sucks
big time.
Just my $.02 but I'll be getting a TomTom or a Magellan for my next GPS.
Ride safe,
Dano
When did you get the CD and when did you do the Install - would be interested,,,, also, have you gone over to the http://www.zumoforums.com/ and talked about this - I am sure they would be interested and just maybe able to help...????

Old 10-31-2008, 12:37 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The more I use . . . the more I like it. ZUMO 550 on my Road Glide.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:56 AM
Kagan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Zumo 550 was so popular and so efficient that H-D picked them up. I had one installed about 4 months ago (the first one into the store) and it's been 100% as advertised. Yeah, I guess I'm a techno-geek too.

Last edited by Kagan; 10-31-2008 at 12:58 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-31-2008, 08:48 AM
cfmii11
Road Master

How do you guys like the fuel door mount?
Does it get in the way when fueling up?
I have my 550 mounted on the right side of the handlebar and wired to the accessory switch.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:05 AM
rkadair
Tourer

tomtom XL can be had on ebay 160.00

Old 10-31-2008, 10:00 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cfmii11
How do you guys like the fuel door mount?
Does it get in the way when fueling up?
I have my 550 mounted on the right side of the handlebar and wired to the accessory switch.
The fuel door mount makes sense to me on a Road Glide. The dash doesn't move and neither does the Zumo. I like it mounted there. Can reach it with either hand, easy to see, doesn't vibrate at idle. I also hid the wires by drilling the console.

Check out this thread if you are interested.

Zumo mount with no visible wires

Old 10-31-2008, 11:26 AM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

I also wanted the 550 but with the cost - ouch and HD price OUCH... Esp when costco has the 450 for $349 and NO Shipping... Don't need the bluetooth or XM or talking streets... 450 works for me...

Old 10-31-2008, 01:11 PM
hittman
Cruiser

Zumo for me....Like it alot.

Quick Reply: Garmin Zumo or Tomtom??