Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Zumo or Tomtom??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 12:39 PM
philthy51
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want the real cheap way out do as I did. Buy the garmin 2720 which is motorcycle approved and water proof then buy the mount from ram total cost of GPS 148.00 mount if you get the hard wire which I recomend around 60 bucks so there ya go GPS for under 200 and it does more if not more than the cheapo's but the I ran a audio wire from mount to under fuel tank console ending with jack and just plug my ear buds in there works great.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:01 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by v2plus15
I've had my Zumo 450 for over a year now, and with it wired directly to the ignition, I have never had that problem.
Where exactly did you wire your Zumo to the ignition?

Old 10-24-2008, 03:07 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by harley0711
THANKS - I have copied and printed this info - you most likely saved me and others a ton of time... Thanks again...
One more thing that needs to be mentioned: If you will be using the MP3 player and connecting it to the AUX input of your HK head unit, make sure you have both volume adjustments set to 100%.

You have one in the settings section (wrench icon) under Display, and it shows an adjustment for both navigation and MP3 player. Set it to 100% for MP3. Next, push the bottom (4th) button on the left side of the Zumo, then "+" to adjust it to 100%. If you don't make these adjustments the output through the Aux input will be too low, and even at full volume on the HK head unit it will not be loud enough. I confess I didn't notice the latter adjustment until the other day, so I've been complaining about the output for one month.

I would also recommend visiting www.zumoforums.com and www.poifactory.com. Reading Zumo forums will gain you much more info than calling Garmin support. The POI Factory provides many POI lists (HD dealers, Walmart, rest stops, etc.). Read their tutorials for using the POI lists to their best advantage.

Last edited by iclick; 10-24-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:41 PM
hdvirgin
Novice
Default Tom Tom all the way

I've had a Tom Tom for years. It is so simple ANYONE can operate it, which means it's easy to operate on the bike too. Has better resolution than the others I've seen too. its refreshing to have a piece of electronic equipment that is so easy to use. you have to almost be a nuclear scientist to understand how to use a handheld GPS - and that blackberry - dang...

Old 10-24-2008, 05:23 PM
omega5m14
Cruiser

I have a Garmin and would never recommend it to anyone. Reason; I ordered the new
2008 Map CD and installed it. Now my Garmin couldn't find my *** with a road map.
I emailed Garmin repeatedly asking for a fix or a way to uninstall the 2008 mapping.
Finally, after threatening to flame their *** on every GPS forum known to man, they
emailed me back and suggested I buy the 2009 mapping CD (another $80 bucks) when
it comes out and that might resolve the issue.
My Garmin is nothing but an expensive paper weight now. It was a good unit when I
bought it but installing the updated maps ruined it and Garmins Customer Service sucks
big time.
Just my $.02 but I'll be getting a TomTom or a Magellan for my next GPS.
Ride safe,
Dano

Old 10-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Liked my Zumo 550 so much that we got my wife one after her Nuvi 200 was stolen a few weeks back.

I'll likely buy another Nuvi to keep handy for vacations that don't involve riding/driving. Nifty lil thing have around, really.

But for the bike or a car...Zumo all the way.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:13 PM
rkbikeman
Novice

Just thought I would throw in my 2-bits. I have the Zumo 550. Never had a problem in over 19k on my RKC, and 20k on my car. Got it new 3 years ago. Have ridden in pouring rain, hail, 100+ heat. No problems.

My state just passed the hands free cell phone law. Since the Zumo car mount has a good speaker and mic, it work great without having to play with, or buy, a wired headset or bluetooth headset. Just turn on the car and the Zumo pairs with my cell phone and I am ready to go. Works the same on the bike with the Nolan n-com bluetooth, Scala rider, etc. In heavy traffic, the voice prompts help you keep your eyes on the road and not on the gps.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:43 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

love my 550 and it is easy to use...

Old 10-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Lucky 13
Road Master

Zumo! Works better.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wired the Zumo to the extra power plug on the headlight wire harness. I just got the male ends to fit the plug. The red capped one is positive. Just make sure you put the right size in-line fuse.

Attached Thumbnails Garmin Zumo or Tomtom??-aux-light-power.jpg  

Quick Reply: Garmin Zumo or Tomtom??