Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Zumo or Tomtom??

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 03:38 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Our Co vehicles have Garmin Nuvi 350,great tool, so I got one for the wife, she loves it.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:14 PM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I have the Zumo 550 with XM and Navtraffic. Use the Kury gas cover mount....

Attached Thumbnails Garmin Zumo or Tomtom??-picture065.jpg  
Old 10-19-2008, 04:41 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by harley0711
Wanting to get a GPS. I am looking at Garmin Zumo's and the Tomtom's. For those that have had these - wanting your advice.... I do NOT need bluetooth or Voice street names. I have used a Garmin Nuvi (borrowed) on a recent 3500 mile trip, so I understand the Garmin a little... I found the 450 Zumo at a killer price of $349 - Costco. I would need to get the car mount as an extra. Want to be able to go between the car and bike.
I couldn't pass up the Costco offer ($367 total for me, including thenon-member fee) and received my Zumo 450 about a month ago. I didn't need XM, bluetooth, or the auto mount--so the 450 was all I needed. Overall I'm impressed with the unit, which is much more ergonomic than my old Quest, but it is not without its quirks. Here are some I've encountered, along with some other complaints:

1. When powered-on using the ignition switch, the Zumo will not boot unless you start the bike after the Zumo splash screen shows. If you start it too early the GPS will not start, and will only do so with a soft-reset (pushing the power + "+" button simultaneously). Garmin tech support was stumped and sent me a new unit, which did the same thing. I kept the original unit and returned the second.

While on this subject, if you must send your unit in for a replacement, don't let them "cross-ship," or ship a new unit while you retain the old, by charging your credit card. After you return it they will not be in a hurry to give you a refund. My second Zumo was returned and received at Garmin on Oct. 9th, and they still haven't refunded me 10 days later. They are obviously holding onto these funds to gain as much interest as they can legally get away with, and my CC company says the maximum is 30 days.

2. If you load MP3s on an SD card, break them up into many folders with 10-20 files (songs) in each. By loading all in one folder it will delay the start of music playing and the drawing of maps. Mine originally had >500 MP3s in one folder and it took 5 min. to draw the map and play the first song.

3. Don't call Garmin tech support for anything before checking at Zumoforums first. Their support reps are patient and eager, but in my experience short on knowledge. There is no such thing as "Level 2" support, so if you get a dunce like I have more than once you are stuck with him. For example, it took two phone calls totalling 2 hours to see progress with my MP3 problem (#2 above). This is a well-known problem and was very well-documented on the Zumo forums (MP3 section).

4. I had problems with loading Mapsource on the computer at first from the CD, giving me an cryptic error message each time. Downloading the app from the Garmin site lead to a successful install. Upgrading to City Nav 2009 was successful on the GPS, not so on the computer, and that took another hour-long exercise with tech support to get straight.

After these underwhelming expriences with Garmin and their unwillingness to refund my money ($700) for the cross-ship, I have been tempted to return the unit to Costco for a refund, which can be done up to 90 days from receipt. Another reason for concern is that the warranty is one year, and after that any repair is a fixed $200. Reading the Zumo forums there are many people having trouble with these units, so it seems a repair after the warranty is a decent possibility.

Even with all these negatives I may keep it after all, as it is a big improvement over my old Quest, and is a very nice, intuitive GPS for the bike with only a few irritating quirks.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Ummagumma
Road Master
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,422 Likes on 625 Posts

The folks who have the 550 did you buy it from Harley or somewhere else. I can get 20% off plus I've got $200 worth of Chrome Cash so I was thinking of getting it from the dealer.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:17 PM
v2plus15
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
1. When powered-on using the ignition switch, the Zumo will not boot unless you start the bike after the Zumo splash screen shows. If you start it too early the GPS will not start, and will only do so with a soft-reset (pushing the power + "+" button simultaneously). Garmin tech support was stumped and sent me a new unit, which did the same thing. I kept the original unit and returned the second.
I've had my Zumo 450 for over a year now, and with it wired directly to the ignition, I have never had that problem.

I also have a TomTom 720 for my car that you always have to turn on and off manually, every time, plugged in or not. That's just the way they designed it. I like the way the tom tom does street names and Bluetooth but when it came time to upgrade the maps, the Zumo was $69 from Garmin and Tom Tom wanted $130 for it's update. That's too much for me, so my next GPS will be another Garmin.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are getting a 550 I'd advise on not getting it from Harley. You'll get it much cheaper and you can load the Harley dealers separately.

Garmin tech support is usually VERY good and they treat people right.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:58 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I couldn't pass up the Costco offer ($367 total for me, including thenon-member fee) and received my Zumo 450 about a month ago. I didn't need XM, bluetooth, or the auto mount--so the 450 was all I needed. Overall I'm impressed with the unit, which is much more ergonomic than my old Quest, but it is not without its quirks. Here are some I've encountered, along with some other complaints:

While on this subject, if you must send your unit in for a replacement, don't let them "cross-ship," or ship a new unit while you retain the old, by charging your credit card. After you return it they will not be in a hurry to give you a refund. My second Zumo was returned and received at Garmin on Oct. 9th, and they still haven't refunded me 10 days later. They are obviously holding onto these funds to gain as much interest as they can legally get away with, and my CC company says the maximum is 30 days.

2. If you load MP3s on an SD card, break them up into many folders with 10-20 files (songs) in each. By loading all in one folder it will delay the start of music playing and the drawing of maps. Mine originally had >500 MP3s in one folder and it took 5 min. to draw the map and play the first song.

3. Don't call Garmin tech support for anything before checking at Zumoforums first. Their support reps are patient and eager, but in my experience short on knowledge. There is no such thing as "Level 2" support, so if you get a dunce like I have more than once you are stuck with him. For example, it took two phone calls totalling 2 hours to see progress with my MP3 problem (#2 above). This is a well-known problem and was very well-documented on the Zumo forums (MP3 section).

4. I had problems with loading Mapsource on the computer at first from the CD, giving me an cryptic error message each time. Downloading the app from the Garmin site lead to a successful install. Upgrading to City Nav 2009 was successful on the GPS, not so on the computer, and that took another hour-long exercise with tech support to get straight.

After these underwhelming expriences with Garmin and their unwillingness to refund my money ($700) for the cross-ship, I have been tempted to return the unit to Costco for a refund, which can be done up to 90 days from receipt. Another reason for concern is that the warranty is one year, and after that any repair is a fixed $200. Reading the Zumo forums there are many people having trouble with these units, so it seems a repair after the warranty is a decent possibility.

Even with all these negatives I may keep it after all, as it is a big improvement over my old Quest, and is a very nice, intuitive GPS for the bike with only a few irritating quirks.

THANKS - I have copied and printed this info - you most likely saved me and others a ton of time... Thanks again...

Old 10-19-2008, 07:28 PM
roseroid
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default made for bike

I.m sure all the models have good bad features!! Be sure the one you chose is built for bikes. the Zumo 450 that I have had 3years now is not Bluetooth, but does call out turns. Most important is that it is vibration tested and screen adjusts to light outside. It is also waterproof!! All models do not work well on bikes..

Old 10-19-2008, 07:30 PM
sealbeachbum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm very happy with my TomTom. It does have Bluetooth which I only sometimes use for voice directions, but not for my cell phone. I too don't want to be bothered by my cell phone when riding.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:04 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had a Nuvi 350 for years in my truck, Saved my money and got the Zumo 550 on the internet. It came with everything.
Got a Nolan N102 helment and I'm going to git the blue tooth for it later on.
Garmin has excellent customer support.

Quick Reply: Garmin Zumo or Tomtom??