Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008 | 07:14 PM
TCC
|
Road Captain
Default Winter Gear

A question for people who ride late into the season. I am no longer as tough as I thought I was. Been riding in the cold for many years and I am finally thinking about heated gear after riding to work 40 miles and @ 34 deg F. I looked on the Harley site and saw some heated gear. I plan on buying heated gloves and pants this week. Any suggestions,comments or recomendations from people who ride till first snow would be helpful. I am open to any brand of gear. Also, what about battery vs connecting to bike battery?
Thanks,
TCC

Old 10-18-2008 | 07:21 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member

I ride with heated gloves and jacket liner. I plug into the same cable that I use for my battery tender, which is a fused circuit. The battery powered units are interesting until you see what a short battery life they have. When it gets really cold or I know I will be riding for a long period of time, I add the heated pants liner. The heated clothing makes life so much nicer in the cold!!

Old 10-18-2008 | 07:30 PM
tmblweed
Road Captain

gerbing makes harleys stuff. i use the actual gerbing coat liner and gloves which i plug into the battery tender lead. you can get an adaptor from harley for the lead that allows you to plug directly in. while your at it get a thermostat or it gets pretty hot. good luck

Old 10-18-2008 | 07:33 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

I'm proud to be a weather wuss.... Gerbing jacket liner, gloves, and dual controller.... and I'm WARM!!!!

Old 10-18-2008 | 10:18 PM
wjpauly
Advanced

You didn't indicate the bike you are riding. The soft lowers that go on the engine guards (if your not on an Ultra) keep the wind off you legs. The wind deflectors that fit on the side of the forks work well, too, for keeping the wind off.

Echo the previous replies: Gerbing heated gear, minimum of vest and gloves. I've had heated grips for the past four years but am going to use heated gloves the next time. My wife loves her gloves and jacket due to her Can-Am Spyder riding position and lots of wind.

Old 10-18-2008 | 11:12 PM
zigzag
Advanced
Thumbs up Winter Gear

Heated vest and gloves, TourMaster Transtion 2 Jacket, First Gear Overpants. Ride till 25degrees no problem have a FLHT.

Old 10-19-2008 | 08:07 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member

Gerbing jacket liner with heat controller....just dial the temp
you desire and relax.

Flannel lined jeans are warm, fuzzy, and comfortable.....but thats
a whole 'nother thread !!

Old 10-20-2008 | 07:45 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member

Heated gear. It's a blessing that I've been waiting for my whole life. Get it. Love it! Any brand is better than nothing. I've got the Widder setup, probably not the best, but with the vest and arm chaps, it's pretty toasty at 32 degrees.

Old 10-20-2008 | 08:11 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member

I've got some great pants and jacket, non-electric and good into the twenties. Going to buy some electric gloves though as soon as I get to the big city, hoepefully soon!

Old 10-20-2008 | 08:18 PM
MeanMorningJoe
Advanced

I have heated grips, and a tourmaster jacket liner. Naturally the chaps and since I have an EG Classic, I have the canvaslowers to keep the wind off the legs... Extra socks dosen't hurt.

Quick Reply: Winter Gear