Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 05:32 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default oil temp gauge

Im thinking of changing out the air temp gauge with a oil temp gauge on my Street Glide. Whats involved as far as a sending unit, etc. Is it plug and play?
I wish they would have a anolog temp gauge/filler cap like the one I had on my softail

Old 10-18-2008, 05:33 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to do the same to my RG.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:38 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a Dakota Digital oil temperature gauge and really like the digital look. As money allows I will be replacing all gauges with digital. I mounted the temperature sensor in the pan and the wiring was a snap. I really like having the constant oil temperature input while riding. Whether you go digital or analog, the installation is really simple.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:43 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bluesssman
I installed a Dakota Digital oil temperature gauge and really like the digital look. As money allows I will be replacing all gauges with digital. I mounted the temperature sensor in the pan and the wiring was a snap. I really like having the constant oil temperature input while riding. Whether you go digital or analog, the installation is really simple.
Do you have to unbolt the oil pan? I dont really want to do that because of warranty issues. Im going to change out my inner fairing tomorrow and was thinking of changing out the gauge while I have it apart.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by brihvac
Do you have to unbolt the oil pan? I dont really want to do that because of warranty issues. Im going to change out my inner fairing tomorrow and was thinking of changing out the gauge while I have it apart.

No, there is a second plug on the front of the oil pan. Take out plug and install sender. I even did it with oil in the pan without a problem.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:01 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

It really is an easy installation to do, but I can't really speak for an '09. Many install the sending unit in the oil pan. This involves removing a recessed oil plug (not your drain plug) and installing the sensor in its place. You will need an adapter. In my application I used a Napa # 3220 x 6 x 2 or 3/8 M NPT x 1/8 F NPT. You thread your sending unit into the adapter and the adapter into the oil pan. Over the winter I got ambitious and installed my sending unit in the oil line per the MoCo instructions.

Attached Thumbnails oil temp gauge-drainplugsfordummies.jpg   oil temp gauge-oil-gauge-sensor-installation-001.jpg   oil temp gauge-oil-gauge-sensor-installation-003.jpg   oil temp gauge-oil-gauge-sensor-installation-006.jpg   oil temp gauge-oil-gauge-sensor-installation-007.jpg  

Old 10-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member

Soos, could you explain the reason you did the installation as per your pictures. Just curious if it makes a difference in temperature readings. Thanks!

Old 10-18-2008, 06:22 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesssman
Soos, could you explain the reason you did the installation as per your pictures. Just curious if it makes a difference in temperature readings. Thanks!
Placing the sending unit in the oil pan subjects the unit to cooling factors such as wet roads, puddles and air movement around the oil pan. Placing the unit in the oil line give a more constant reading by having the unit under cover and protected from outside factors.

I was also bored and figured this was worth trying

Old 10-18-2008, 10:19 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior

On the HD website it has the gauge then it said that 07 and later need this other part. I called the dealer and they said that you take the oil filter assembly off and put this part on then bolt the filter assembly back on. Its only $65 so Im curious what it is. The dealer actually has the gauge so Im going there tommorrow to get it.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

With respect to those who are interested in knowing their oil temp accurately, my oil temp sending unit is in the pan and I use it to monitor for any significant changes from normal temps that may indicate engine problems--the accuracy of the gauge, where the oil temp is measured, etc. is pretty much irrelevant for my purposes. The oil pan installation was simple and cheap.

Quick Reply: oil temp gauge