Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gettin Screwed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Hoginthesky
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gettin Screwed!!!! UPDATE

Ok this might be a long one so bear with me. I posted a couple of weeks ago about my 07 ultra with 18000 miles was blowing blue smoke after I changed my plugs. I went back to Suffolk Harley in Oakdale NY where I purchased the bike. They told me that the rear valve guide seal was bad and there were going to change it. Three days later I was called and they asked me what kind of oil I used. They said the oil looked watery. I told them that I just changed the Oil that morning with Syn3. I was told that after they changed the rear guide seal It was still smoking. After 14 days in there shop I was told to come get the bike it was ready. They told me that the rear piston, piston rings and cylinder where all replaced, they had excessive wear. All of this work was done under warranty. I rode the bike for 7 days and while in some light traffic I noticed that the oil pressure was lower than what it had been, at idle and a speed. No oil light came on at any time. As I rode home each time I slowed to a stop I started to hear tapping coming from the rear cylinder. I rode right back to the dealer. While the tech was looking at the bike we noticed that the rear cylinder base was leaking oil. They Have now had the bike for the last eight days and the called me today to tell me that they want me to give them permission to tear the engine apart because they believe that the engine case is cracked, that the oil pump is shot and that the cams are bad. Here's the kicker.. they want my permission because none of these repairs are covered under the warranty. I have told them NOT to touch the bike until I speak to the Harley rep. I was told by them that the Factory would not help me because the oil from the first time was bad and that has caused all the damage. I called customer service today and was told they were going to call the dealer and the would call me right back. Well no phone call today, now have to wait until Monday. How the hell can they treat there customers this way. I waited until I was 44 to buy my dream bike and now its turning into a nightmare. Just wanted to vent, so pissed now I cant see straight.

Last edited by Hoginthesky; 10-29-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:49 PM
rjcsnappy
6th Gear
Default re:getting screwed

hello if you want give me a call on this subject i might be able to help my name is ricky 631-8461545

Old 10-17-2008, 07:54 PM
Skivvy9r
Tourer

Getting upset won't help the situation. Maintain your cool and be persistent that it needs to be warranted. Dealer says the oil was bad? Prove it. You know they can't because the oil was fine. If ou have a lawyer, now would be a good time to talk with him.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:55 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can imagine your frustration. Have you done all your own service work? Try contacting HD direct and plead your case, but be calm, not accusing. Calm can go a long ways... good luck, hope it works out for you. Let us know.....

Old 10-17-2008, 08:04 PM
HawgMan_renamed
Road Warrior

Man that really sucks..hang in there and try to keep your cool...I sure hope it works out in your favor. Keeps use informed. Good luck

Old 10-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Bro, I feel your pain. I love my Harley but I am constantly chasing some sort of problem. With that said I still wouldn't trade it for any other make even though my old metrics never went back to the shop for anything.
Harleys are an addiction that I just can't explain. I do agree that the Motor company could improve their customer service. They are very busy but that just shows how many of us have problems.
In the end I think they will solve your problem. Hopefully they will replace your motor with a factory rebuilt, that's what I would ask for.
Good luck.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member

Please keep us all up to date with your situation. We are all pulling for you.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:20 PM
flashprez
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoginthesky
Ok this might be a long one so bear with me. I posted a couple of weeks ago about my 07 ultra with 18000 miles was blowing blue smoke after I changed my plugs. I went back to Suffolk Harley in Oakdale NY where I purchased the bike. They told me that the rear valve guide seal was bad and there were going to change it. Three days later I was called and they asked me what kind of oil I used. They said the oil looked watery. I told them that I just changed the Oil that morning with Syn3. I have been using Mobil one V twin but could not find any. I was told that after they changed the rear guide seal It was still smoking. After 14 days in there shop I was told to come get the bike it was ready. They told me that the rear piston, piston rings and cylinder where all replaced, they had excessive wear. All of this work was done under warranty. I rode the bike for 7 days and while in some light traffic I noticed that the oil pressure was lower than what it had been, at idle and a speed. No oil light came on at any time. As I rode home each time I slowed to a stop I started to hear tapping coming from the rear cylinder. I rode right back to the dealer. While the tech was looking at the bike we noticed that the rear cylinder base was leaking oil. They Have now had the bike for the last eight days and the called me today to tell me that they want me to give them permission to tear the engine apart because they believe that the engine case is cracked, that the oil pump is shot and that the cams are bad. Here's the kicker.. they want my permission because none of these repairs are covered under the warranty. I have told them NOT to touch the bike until I speak to the Harley rep. I was told by them that the Factory would not help me because the oil from the first time was bad and that has caused all the damage. I called customer service today and was told they were going to call the dealer and the would call me right back. Well no phone call today, now have to wait until Monday. How the hell can they treat there customers this way. I waited until I was 44 to buy my dream bike and now its turning into a nightmare. Just wanted to vent, so pissed now I cant see straight.
Kahn & associates, Rick McNeil 1-888-536-667-6671 Don't ask me how I know, but it worked for me.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:22 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I hope everything turns out OK. It's too bad things work out like this when they shouldn't. I would think HD would stand behind their product.
You stated dealer claimed oil was bad (HD SYN 3) in case dealer doesn't know, that oil is made for a Harley and it's an air cooled engine. If dealer thought oil was watery they should of had oil sampled to prove it. With out the facts it is just an opinion. Chances are oil was changed and is now gone. I would think the dealer/HD would have to make these repairs under warranty.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:24 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain

Keep us posted. Personally, I don't see how the top end repairs could be warranty work but the bottom end isn't? Good luck.

Quick Reply: Gettin Screwed!!!!