Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could use some expertise

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Hardride76
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could use some expertise

Hey y'all

I frequent a couple of different sites but when I started asking mechanical questions, I was told this is the place to go.....I ride an 06 street glide, and here lately she started rattling, sounds like like a severe case of lifter noise, bout like i drained all the oil and rode her a hundred miles, oil pressure stays between 15 and 30 lbs she just turned 17k and have 2500 on last oil change, running HD synth any ideas or horror stories that could set me in the right direction before she blows up on me. I ride this bike every day, and don't wanna go to a stealership for help. I know none of ya know me but I would appreciate any help ya could offer.

HR

Old 10-17-2008, 09:45 PM
nb472
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Hard to say from your post. First determine which side of motor the noise is comming from. I use a wood dowl held to my ear and placed on various spots on motor ( poor mans stetoscope). On primary side it could be the compsensating sprocket, easy fix but it needs retightened before it takes the splines out on the crank.
If it's on the cam plate side I would take it to a Indy and have him listen. Could be a nunber of things. A good Indy should be able to narrow it down. Good Luck

Old 10-17-2008, 10:49 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default noise ???

You need to locate where the noise is loudest, you can do this with a long screw driver, dowl or stethescope. When is the noise loudest hot -- cold. I went thru this battle a short while ago and if it sounds like an old Chev with solid lifters when hot I can give you some ideas of where to look.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Hardride76
Stage II

Originally Posted by scooty
You need to locate where the noise is loudest, you can do this with a long screw driver, dowl or stethescope. When is the noise loudest hot -- cold. I went thru this battle a short while ago and if it sounds like an old Chev with solid lifters when hot I can give you some ideas of where to look.
thats exactly what its doing, most of the noise is coming from the left side of the bike, talked to a stealership mech...he was tryin to sell me on cam tensionors, I don't ride that hard and she just don't have that many miles yet..where did you start ane finish on your ride?

Old 10-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As others have said, try to determine better where the noise is coming from. Could be a whole host of things, loose compensator, cam chain tensioners (although 16 k is prety quick for them to go south), lifter(s), cam bearing, and on and on. Need much more in the way of particualars. Is it noisier when cold or hot, does the noise go away or get louder at certain rpms? is the noise greater while riding or in nuetral. You get the idea.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the condition of the front motor mount? Take a peek under the front of it and see if the rubber is all cracked up and motor is pushing it down.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:22 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm bettin' compensator nut...there have been a lot of problems posted regarding that issue. You need to check that quickly.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:01 PM
bigjames19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem on my fatboy, it ended being the compensator nut came loose, I had a INDY diagnose the problem (Robisons in Daytona Beach) it cost me $160 with new oil. My bike had 36000 miles when it happened. Hope yours is the same mech. says its an easy fix.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:24 PM
joe mayo
Cruiser

This is my 1st harley and it just sounds too noisy. Have an 05 ultra with 18000 miles, its loudest between 2100 & 2800 rpms, does not matter what gear. Seems to be coming from left side. Sound like what you guys are hearing? Recently had the valve seals replaced and the dealer said there was acarbon buildup. he blamed the carbon on todays poor gas quality. I read & heard that HD had a problem with the seals in 05. Had the compensating sprocket tightened a year ago, retightened three weeks ago, along with new comp sprocket spring and adjustment shoe. Still have the 'lifter' niose. bringing it in to the dealer tommorrow. While he's taking mine for a ride, I want to take another out and listen.
Fingers are crossed!!!

Last edited by joe mayo; 10-21-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:33 PM
nb472
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

If it's on the left side it's probly the compensating sprocket. Mine came loose at 22000 mi.
Once you've heard that sound you won't forget it. Any mc mec. should know it. You will need a new gasket, red locktite, 1qt. oil, something to lock the sprockets and a torque wrench that will go to 165ft. lbs. Also, cam chain tensioners won't make any noise until it's metal on chain and then your cam plate will be damaged. A visual inspection is the only way to know if they are worn.

Quick Reply: Could use some expertise