Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on playing MP3 CDs

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Cowracer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Question on playing MP3 CDs

I found out that the radio on my new SG plays MP3's stored as data on CD's. Way cool, as I got about 100 songs the one CD I tried, and they all play perfectly, Including MP3 tag data (name, artist, etc).

But the order they play in is totally off of the way I had the playlist when I copied them. I think its trying to play them in alphebetical order, but it doesnt allways follow that either. How does it determine song order?

Any ideas on burning a MP3 data CD so it will play the songs back in a certain order? I'm big on grouping songs toghether for a total experinece. Cant have Queen's "Spread your wings" Following "Epic" by Faith No More. Just dont work.

Ideas?

Tim

Old 10-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't know what year your bike is or if it even makes a difference, but my '06 plays back in the order recorded unless "Random" is selected from the display on the head. Also you can record around 180 MP3,s per disc. If you use Itunes you can only burn tunes that have been imported as a music CD - meaning you can burn tunes from your personal CD library but not those purchased from Itunes unless you first burn them to a music CD and then re-import them to Itunes. Hope this isn't too confusing - good luck.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:50 AM
HawgriderPa
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mp3's

when you burn the CD.. burn it at the slowest rate.

I created a seperate directory on my computer (CD1, CD2, etc), then moved the songs I wanted into it, one by one, so there was no sorting by the computer.
Once in that folder, I edited the file name and inserted a sequencial number in front of the title
Rock around the clock became 001Rock Around the Clock.. etc.

then I burned the CD
by keeping the directory on my computer, it's simple to reburn a CD if it starts skipping.

I get about 180 on a CD, but it depends on the bps rate that the song was converted from music file to mp3 file. I convert them at 128 or 192 and haven't found a loss of fidelity on playback, and I run the advanced sound with the booster amp. (they put me at the front of the "non radio" bikes, so everyone can listen)

If you find that your songs are not all at the same volume level, there's a program called MEDIA MONKEY that will go thru the directory and equalize all the songs so they sound the same volumewise to the ear.
just do this before you burn a CD

Old 10-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Cowracer
Tourer

Originally Posted by HawgriderPa
when you burn the CD.. burn it at the slowest rate.

I created a seperate directory on my computer (CD1, CD2, etc), then moved the songs I wanted into it, one by one, so there was no sorting by the computer.
Once in that folder, I edited the file name and inserted a sequencial number in front of the title
Rock around the clock became 001Rock Around the Clock.. etc.

then I burned the CD
by keeping the directory on my computer, it's simple to reburn a CD if it starts skipping.

I get about 180 on a CD, but it depends on the bps rate that the song was converted from music file to mp3 file. I convert them at 128 or 192 and haven't found a loss of fidelity on playback, and I run the advanced sound with the booster amp. (they put me at the front of the "non radio" bikes, so everyone can listen)

If you find that your songs are not all at the same volume level, there's a program called MEDIA MONKEY that will go thru the directory and equalize all the songs so they sound the same volumewise to the ear.
just do this before you burn a CD
I thought about putting a sequential number in file name after I posted it. On the display, does it come up as "Rock around..." or "001Rock around..."?

Thanks for the media monkey tip. That was another problem. Didnt know there was a solution.

Tim

Old 10-17-2008, 12:58 PM
gpp
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

even if you burn the songs at a lower bit rate the radio want play back but about 255 songs.i burned my songs through i tunes in the order i wanted them to play back with no problem.course i used a mac but i dont think it makes any differance.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:59 PM
rerb95
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great option and mine 08 plays them in the order recorded!

Good luck with figuring it out!

RJ

Old 10-17-2008, 03:21 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,378 Likes on 2,547 Posts

if you like (or want) to make your own mp3s from your cds (or borrowed discs), i recommend exact audio copy. its freeware, and you can set the bitrate from low to high enough to make an exact copy of the original, only much smaller and in mp3 format (hence the name).

their website is: http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/inde...rces/download/

and here is a good configuration guide: http://www.teqnilogik.com/tutorials/eac.shtml

happy ripping!

Old 10-17-2008, 10:33 PM
balcy24
Advanced

Just a suggestion but I have been using MP3GAIN (freeware) for several years now with excellent results. I normalize my tracks at 92.0 dB to prevent clipping.

Good luck,
Dave