Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOW! Griot's Garage Polishing stuff rocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 08:12 PM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tima
You watch "Dancing with the Stars"? Isn't that grounds to be banned from the forum? For Life?
Yep, I think your right! He probably was listening to a Rumba and drinking a Martini while polishing the scratches out.

Last edited by RoadKing_Al; 10-15-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:13 PM
cegusa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure what a typical buffer spins at, but besides the orbital action, these are also variable speed. The Porter Cable 7424 is the model that I have and is typically labeled by other suppliers. Here is a short article about the machine. I also use it for applying wax and polish on the cars and take it off by hand usually. Makes that job take a lot less time.

http://guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=47

Old 10-15-2008, 10:08 PM
GScotty
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bigredone
I had some surface scratches on my vivid black Ultra saddlebag lid. Did a little reasearch on the forums and found some guy bragging about the the Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher (I have never heard of em). Needless to say and being a sucker for a lot of products on the forum, I went to the website and ended up buying a kit for $218 which included the polisher, pads and a few of their products. As promised it arrived yesterday with a dvd which I wached last night instead of Dancing With the Stars!

Gave it a try today and I am very impressed. Easy to use and all the scratches are GONE and left me with an amazing mirror shine. I guess any polisher would work but this one gets my vote. I didn't even screw anything up which is a big suprise for me.
Tomorrow I start on the batwing and see how that goes.
Hey Bigredone
I think that would be me that turned you on to Griot's Random Orbital Polisher.. I bought mine a couple years ago to use on my black Cobra and found that it also takes the scratches & marks out of my black Ultra... Only problem I have ever had was I found it a little hard to get their wax off once in awhile. The polishes etc. work great.
Best of Luck

Old 10-15-2008, 11:17 PM
spizzyman
Road Master

This is one of my fears. I have some scratches I would like to try to buff out but am afraid to screw up my clear coat. They are deep scratches and I just don't trust the rubbing compound, even though it says it is safe for clear coat. BTW, I have not buffed paint in many years, thus my trepidation.

spiz

Old 10-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Bad Pig
Road Master

Originally Posted by tima
You watch "Dancing with the Stars"? Isn't that grounds to be banned from the forum? For Life?
now if he said that he watches "Dancing with the **** Stars".....

Old 10-16-2008, 05:21 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since we're on the subject of polishing products.......

There's a detail spray out there that is amazing. I used it on my Lightning between washes and have been using it on the bikes when they need a wipe down, but not a full wash. Its made by a company called Adam's Polishes. I had to google the website last time I ordered I have never seen it in stores. The stuff works on every surface. Paint, chrome, glass, vinyl, all of it. You spray it on and wipe down with a microfiber just like most detail sprays, but once you're done, you take a dry microfiber cloth and you can actually buff the stuff for a deeper shine. It has become my "go-to" product for anything short of a full wash.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:22 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

They have always had great products,have been a customer for years.They sell in gallon quantities,saving lots of green!

Old 10-16-2008, 07:32 AM
Bigredone
Road Master

The random orbital polisher has 6 speeds and will not burn through the clear coat. The kit I bought came with a clay bar for cleaning, a bottle of Speed Shine with sprayer, bottle of Machine Polish 3, bottle of Best in Show wax, a pollishing pad and a waxing pad, the 6" polisher and an excellent DVD showing application instructions with each product. I think the 3" polisher would be better for the bike but I will also be using it on my truck. I thought there was a video on their site but now I can't find it and am off to work.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/category...r+polishing.do

Last edited by Bigredone; 10-16-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:14 AM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigredone
I had some surface scratches on my vivid black Ultra saddlebag lid. Did a little reasearch on the forums and found some guy bragging about the the Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher (I have never heard of em). Needless to say and being a sucker for a lot of products on the forum, I went to the website and ended up buying a kit for $218 which included the polisher, pads and a few of their products. As promised it arrived yesterday with a dvd which I wached last night instead of Dancing With the Stars!

Gave it a try today and I am very impressed. Easy to use and all the scratches are GONE and left me with an amazing mirror shine. I guess any polisher would work but this one gets my vote. I didn't even screw anything up which is a big suprise for me.
Tomorrow I start on the batwing and see how that goes.
I've had one for three or four years that I use on my car and pickup. I did my Vivid Black FLHX using 3M Perfect-It II Foam Polishing Pad Glaze-Dark and the result was amazing! I finished it off with Eagle 1 Nano Wax and it looks absolutely WET!! I would recommend them to anyone who strives for that "perfect" shine.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:54 AM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Griot's is a very expensive place to buy that polisher. Google Porter Cable, that's who make the polisher and you can find it a lot cheaper. I've had one for yrs. Mine had the pads that screw on, I changed to the velcro pads. They are a whole lot easier to use. Just make sure you clean them good before you put them away. Any old wax left on them will swirl the paint.

Quick Reply: WOW! Griot's Garage Polishing stuff rocks