Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

offer to dealer for an 09 FLHX...am I crazy??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Btechpat
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default offer to dealer for an 09 FLHX...am I crazy??

Went to demo days at a local dealer to ride an 09 Road Glide well I'm glad I did as the bike didn't feel rite and wasn't what I had expected. So I Asked if I could try a street glide no problem man that was awesome! I'm sold!!!! Well my Dyna got totalled so I've got money for a down payment and financing through my credit union all set. Sales lady says well whats it gonna take to send you home today on it? Hmmmm. $21,800 OTD and she burst into a fit of laughter and I was like WTF and walked out. so am I crazy I thought it was fair MSRP + ABS + Cruise +TTL for a black bike. It feels good to have money in hand and ya know I've been riding my wifes XL1200N so I'm not without a scoot but geez I don't want to get screwed on a deal. any opinions????

Old 10-15-2008, 05:03 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not knowing where you're at. But ya hear the same story all the time here at the Forum.
Just keep calling Dealers till you find one that will sell you it at MSRP or better.. Depending on where you are you might have to spend some time... But don't give up they're out there...

Old 10-15-2008, 05:08 PM
brock275
Cruiser

I just went through the same thing myself. I bought a RK for under MSRP, but they didn't budge on the freight/setup. It was pretty much a wash in my book (meaning right at MSRP).

I don't know what part of the country you're in; but, if you're willing to negotiate some distance, you might be able to strike a much better deal. I see several dealers online advertising MSRP as a starting position (Collier's in NC comes to mind).

On the other hand, service may be an issue if you're not planning on doing it yourself.

Have you thought about used? You will find great deals on Cycletrader, etc. I know the issues with the 09 changes to touring bikes. I couldn't pass that up and also couldn't wait!

Best of luck.

Brock

Old 10-15-2008, 05:14 PM
IRready
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let the fools laugh. NEVER pay more than MSRP cause you don't have to.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:20 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, shop around. I had the same problem in the Houston metro area and I will go without before I'll ever pay over msrp. Had to make a 75? mile trip (big deal) to get what I wanted.
I paid msrp, freight and $200 set-up fee (which I now know is a joke!).
Other than the set-up fee I felt like I did ok. Just ask the salesperson, "exactly what am I getting for that fee?" He'll either squirm, pile on the b-s or no-charge it. Anyway fair prices
are out there just gotta shop a bit.
FYI: Good choice on the SG, you won't regret it!!

The breakdown (for what it's worth):
Bike 18,999.00
Security option 345.00
Cruise control 270.00
Freight 375.00
Dealer prep 200.00
Sales tax 6.25% on 20189.00 = 1261.82
Inventory tax 40.95
License & Reg 139.80
HOG dues 15.00

Total 21646.57

Last edited by TexasSG; 10-15-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:40 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I paid my 07 Nightrain ($17,000 trade in) and $3,000 cash OTD. Thats tax, tags, and everything. My 09 StreetGlide is Pewter Pearl with cruise and the security system. I think I did good. My Nightrain was perfect with a lot of extras including chrome HD wheels, 2,700 miles. I was surprised they gave me that much for a trade. I traded it in during the dealers open house. They rolled it into the showroom almost as soon as I got there. They had it sold in an hour. The salesman told me that they got a little over $18K for it. I told him Im surprised they didnt try for more (seeing it was only there an hour) and he said they tried but the guy bought 2 bikes that day.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my area bikes go for way over msrp. knowing this I waited for an 08 leftover and scooped it for 250 bucks over msrp and it had the wire wheels, abs and it was vivid black which is a popular color. Not to mention they gave me a grand more than any of the 6 shops I went to on my trade. Other dealers wanted 2k plus on 08's with only weeks till the 09's came out. Then again at that same time I bought my flhx in new england the very same bike (including options) was going for 2k under msrp in texas and a few other areas. I'll drive for a good deal but not across the country.

My opinion is shop the best price (obviously) but depending on where you live the prices will vary. Listening about what others payed for there rides is a good gauge but there area plays a factor. example: the going rate for a qualified machinist in new england might be 25 bucks to start, but head down to florida and the same qualified machinist might only get 17 bucks to start. Whatever the pay scale is in a certain area usually tells you what the market is on sales of car, bikes, groceries and so on. MSRP is just that, it what harley says the bike should go for but it don't mean thats what it's going to go for.

My two pennies haha

Old 10-15-2008, 05:49 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

have you thought about a used 2007 with a big-bore kit and all the goodies for maybe 16,500? think about it...it'll run circles around a stocker, and you'll have 6-7 grand leftover...not to mention the 2-3 grand you'll put into a new one in the first year or 2, for a total savings of $9-10K!!!!...now we're talkin!

Old 10-15-2008, 06:07 PM
cougarcruiser
Advanced

I'm in a similar position looking for a Black or red FLHR Road King standard w/ ABS. flexible on color and other options, but I want ABS.

My local dealer wants almost 1000 over MSRP. Boeing on strike locally... the market and economy in the ditch - and they want 1000 over MSRP?

I told them I am holding out for 1500 UNDER msrp.

The deals are out there - just have to find the combination of the perfect bike and the hungry dealer.

Of course - it's always great to not have to deal with trades... I'm a straight up buyer - and I told the dealer that.

The bikes and deals are out there. Be patient - explore options.

and FYI - if anyone knows of a hungry dealer with a red or black FLHR standard w/ ABS, please PM me.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Chula
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IRready
Let the fools laugh. NEVER pay more than MSRP cause you don't have to.
+1....

Quick Reply: offer to dealer for an 09 FLHX...am I crazy??